chuckbucktail

Let's see how this goes (treble trimming)

17 posts in this topic

Picked up a 5'6" BP Mirco Lite Glass spin rod. I think that's what they call it. Haven't used spin gear in a few years and have since been bitten by the fly bug. Fly fishing has taught me small single hooks work. To that end I decided to trim all my trebles down to a single. I plan to eventually replace with true in line hooks but let's see how this does for now. The hooks are definitely on the small side now that they've been clipped but not overly worried about it. Would love input on what hooks to pick up.

single hook.jpg

42 mins ago, chuckbucktail said:

Would love input on what hooks to pick up.

100% Owner Replacement single hooks (stay away from VMC singles, they are awful).

Decoy makes quality small split rings that are solid, down to 000 sizes. 

Kudos to you for switching to single hooks. You will harm far fewer fish and greatly improve their chances for survival when you release them...I also have several BP Micro Lite rods. They are really great rods for the money. A fishing rod doesn’t have to cost $300. The Micro Lite rods I have are as good as any.

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, Flip n Dip said:

Kudos to you for switching to single hooks. You will harm far fewer fish and greatly improve their chances for survival when you release them...I also have several BP Micro Lite rods. They are really great rods for the money. A fishing rod doesn’t have to cost $300. The Micro Lite rods I have are as good as any.

Thanks man yeah. I'm barbless all the way too. From striped bass flies all the way down. 

Have you ever attempted casting a clouser with one of these rods? I'm hoping to get to use some of my streamers using a little shot. 

And thanks for the recommendation on Owner and Decoy guys. I'll look into it. I'm guessing a #6 is good all-arounder for 1/16th-1/8th ounce lures? I know it is probably somewhat dependent on the lure. Are stock split rings typically too large? I was hoping to use some of my fly tying hooks but the eye is oriented wrong as well as much too small. 

Edited by chuckbucktail

I have a few Micro Lite rods that are 7’6” ultra light. I use them for float and fly. They are perfect for clouser and streamer fly fishing. The last few years I have been using them primarily for Trout Magnets. I use 4 pound Fireline as my main line tied to a Torpedo plastic float. From the float to the fly or Trout Magnet I use a 4 pound fluorocarbon leader about 3’ long. I use it mostly in local trout stocked lakes and ponds. It also works really well for crappies. It also works very well in rivers. It will cast a split shot and fly pretty well without a float. 

Having a hard time casting these hardbaits with this rod but 2” sexee shads with a 1/16th oz jighead are super accurate and are killing it. SMB are a lot of fun with the fiberglass micro lite. Stoked to take this rod out for some browns. Im becoming a cheapo fiberglass guy. My eagleclaw 4wt and CGR 8wt are getting a lot more attention than my graphite trout and striper rods too. 

12 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

How do.the lures work any reports?

Well I don't have a lot to base it off of since I haven't really done much spin fishing. That being said they seemed to swim pretty good! But to be honest I didn't use them a whole lot since little 2" swim shads were deadly on the SMB up on Saranac Lake. I hope to get up to my local tailwater for some trout in the next week. Will update then. 

Side note: I really wanna turn some on my lathe now. A big part of what I love about fly fishing is tying my own flies. So I think I'm headed down that rabbit hole soon. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I rigged a few of these ultra light plugs with a modified assist style hook(s) and seems to work well so far. Octopus and siwash hooks tied on with dacron. Wanted to use stuff I already had instead of buying small inlines.g

Anyone else try a similar mod?

I would like to move up to larger baits and species

Edited by kevinj65
spelling

I file the barbs and trim off one leg of some trebles.  I would like to swap all to inlines, but its a daunting task so am doing it slowly, one at a time and mostly only for the metal i throw the most.

I mostly fish metal and bucktail, and only keep a treble on some metal for bunker snag purposes.

I am curious how inlines will change the effectivness of small freshwater lures.  jitterbug, rapala....

2 hours ago, MikeJeffries said:

I’m trying to get on board with single hook replacements to harm less fish.  Which do you folks think is the proper orientation of the middle hook? 

B0BCA8D6-B1F5-4CBC-8B0D-A6198ABEEBB2.jpeg

Point forward, bottom lure is correct 

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 9:35 PM, triumph said:

Point forward, bottom lure is correct 

Make sense, since when the hook is pushed back during the retrieve the point faces out.

The back hook is for the fish to get his jaw on!

This is what I have done in the past The removal of any hook attached to any presentations just might change the action it was designed for . The last few decades on all of the lures that I decide to switch out the original lure goes on a digital scale note the gram . Then remove the original hook to scale note the gram . Scale the new hook to equal the original hook . Then the lure and new hook together It helps the balancing to keep the action original .