pmang6

Beach snook questions

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I'm going to be spending the week after the 4th in south florida and I'd like to fish the beaches if conditions are good, which, being july, they should be, right? Anyways, heres my gameplan for monday, just wanted to see if anyone had any input:

Im going to fish the beaches on hutchinson island. The high tide is 1030 or so, so i figure if i get out for sunrise i'll have a nice incoming tide to work with. Ideally I want to net some croakers or really whatever bait is there, and freeline that in the 1st trough for snook. I'm also going to bring my box with big minnow plugs, topwaters, doa shrimp, flukes, bucktails and all those good sw artificials. 

Sound good?

As far as questions:
How light can I go with my flouro? The beaches i'm looking at have rock right up in the trough from what I can tell, should I be worried about getting busted off on that?

Is it a better strategy to pick a good beach and walk it or drive up and down the beach accesses until you find the bait/action? Are the fish tight on the bait or generally well spread out along the beach?

Thanks for the help guys, I tried to do as much research as possible before posting

Fish early and later in the day like befor the sun is even up and after 5pm .   Forget about tide. Find the bait. Small plastics and small hard baits. 30 lb leader mono is fine but use floro if you want. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Definitely depends on the conditions, some days the surf is flat and you can sight fish for the snook, as far as lures smaller plugs and soft plastics that imitate white bait work well. If the surf is up and you can get croakers you’ll have a good shot at bigger fish that sit right if those rocks in the trough, but you can catch them on larger plugs and swim baits as well. Leave the shrimp and top waters at home you’ll have better luck on swimbaits and plugs. You shouldn’t worry about the rocks breaking you off, but the mouth on a bigger snook will fray right though lighter leader, use 40 or 50 mono or floro. 

The fish can be spread out on calmer days or in schools of 20 fish or so. If you don’t know where the fish are I think you’ll have better luck walking the beach with artificial to find the fish. But if you have confidence in a zone and get some croakers you’ll definitely have a shot at some big fish. Of course if you find bait schools you’ll find fish, but sometimes baits is too sparse to really hold fish.

Edited by atvanast

On 7/2/2020 at 9:09 AM, Jim McFeeley said:

Fish early and later in the day like befor the sun is even up and after 5pm .   Forget about tide. Find the bait. Small plastics and small hard baits. 30 lb leader mono is fine but use floro if you want. 

Got it, planning on being out there 45min before the sunrise. The more I read the more I think flouro is a scam. Thanks.

On 7/2/2020 at 10:32 AM, atvanast said:

Definitely depends on the conditions, some days the surf is flat and you can sight fish for the snook, as far as lures smaller plugs and soft plastics that imitate white bait work well. If the surf is up and you can get croakers you’ll have a good shot at bigger fish that sit right if those rocks in the trough, but you can catch them on larger plugs and swim baits as well. Leave the shrimp and top waters at home you’ll have better luck on swimbaits and plugs. You shouldn’t worry about the rocks breaking you off, but the mouth on a bigger snook will fray right though lighter leader, use 40 or 50 mono or floro. 

The fish can be spread out on calmer days or in schools of 20 fish or so. If you don’t know where the fish are I think you’ll have better luck walking the beach with artificial to find the fish. But if you have confidence in a zone and get some croakers you’ll definitely have a shot at some big fish. Of course if you find bait schools you’ll find fish, but sometimes baits is too sparse to really hold fish.

If I do get some bigger baits like croaker or mojara, would you freeline them or try to put them on the bottom? Any advice as far as tides? Oh, and I have some ginormous 8" gambler paddletails, you think its worth throwing something that big? Thanks for the tips.

47 mins ago, pmang6 said:

Got it, planning on being out there 45min before the sunrise. The more I read the more I think flouro is a scam. Thanks.

If I do get some bigger baits like croaker or mojara, would you freeline them or try to put them on the bottom? Any advice as far as tides? Oh, and I have some ginormous 8" gambler paddletails, you think its worth throwing something that big? Thanks for the tips.

If you get bigger baits just hook in the anal fin and they will swim down, even if you free line out a nose hooked croaker it will go to the bottom without any weight. Those gamblers will probably work if the surf is up or the sun isn’t out yet. As far as tides on the beach I don’t think it matters as much unless you are near a inlet, but as long as the tide is moving you should be good. Incoming will Have clearer water and better conditions for sight fishing, but the outgoing can be just as good. Also don’t be afraid to try at night since it will be a full moon next week the fish will be feeding heavy at night.

I like to use the Livetarget croaker swimbaits.  I find that a live croaker works great, but if the beach I'm fishing at has rocks, the croakers usually like to hide under a rock making them useless.

Can go with a light set up (20-30lb Fluoro) And 10lb braid if you’re catching pilchards with a cast net. Very fun fight, also use #2 circles