buddha162

New Daiwa BG - Monocoque!

Rate this topic

55 posts in this topic

33 mins ago, Maine Guide said:

When will the current stock of BG’s be sold off at discount prices?

I personally don't think it will be due to the price difference between the two. people usually get the saltist for the improved sealing, this new bg looks to beat it out in term of sealing and no mag seal. 2016 BG will always have its place. the street price of the new BG will be interesting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 mins ago, tiizzyy said:

I personally don't think it will be due to the price difference between the two. people usually get the saltist for the improved sealing, this new bg looks to beat it out in term of sealing and no mag seal. 2016 BG will always have its place. the street price of the new BG will be interesting

Too bad. I’ve come to love these reels. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 mins ago, tiizzyy said:

I personally don't think it will be due to the price difference between the two. people usually get the saltist for the improved sealing, this new bg looks to beat it out in term of sealing and no mag seal. 2016 BG will always have its place. the street price of the new BG will be interesting

I expect the street price to remain pretty close to msrp on this one...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Looking forward to checking one of these out. Drag levels are impressive. I like the gear in the 2016 BG even if it’s zinc.
 

Hoping it will be Slammer 3 level in terms of water resistance but feel like a Back Bay.  

Edited by ThirstyOwl III

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first news came on 11 June from A.H. "Daiwa will release some very affordable models with the "Monocoque" body. On one hand we'll have the benefits of the design for very little money, but on the other hand self-service will become harder. Some after-market tools that can open all MQ reels will be available too..."

 

They acquire nº sizes of Saltiga (=Shimano, I do not like this!). Something strange is that they MAINTAIN the ratios (Saltiga now 4.5ratio, 4.8, 5.8 and exclusive 6.2 to compete with Stella).

   New is medium 14K SPOOL, but I guess drag it(and 4k) is poorly published, not 44lb!. It is 33lb, like the big ones now!____* (A.H. say the practical maximum drag of the large BG2016 is not this 33lb, about 26.5 lbs only). 

   Drag increases 25-33%! and same weight....And Daiwa says "BG MQ designed to withstand the pressures of fishing giant bluefin tuna:eek:...The drive gear of the BG16 is a cast zinc!....and MQ better/thicker shaft?.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2020 at 0:10 PM, scoobydoo said:

I expect the street price to remain pretty close to msrp on this one...

Off topic but have you ever heard of issues on the 2016 BG’s of the bail opening up a bit and closing while fighting a fish or setting the hook? Has happened on my 3000 and 4500 striper fishing with plugs. I think the design of the line roller, the line hits the roller at a certain point when reeling and the pressure cause the line to hit the back of the roller and open up. It has costed me a few fish 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 mins ago, Justinj said:

Off topic but have you ever heard of issues on the 2016 BG’s of the bail opening up a bit and closing while fighting a fish or setting the hook? Has happened on my 3000 and 4500 striper fishing with plugs. I think the design of the line roller, the line hits the roller at a certain point when reeling and the pressure cause the line to hit the back of the roller and open up. It has costed me a few fish 

Only on a beaten up one with a bent bail to roller arm connect... Aside from that it's not baked into its design... As long as the line makes it to the roller and seats properly it won't happen.  Their design does a good job of that (as do most) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

Only on a beaten up one with a bent bail to roller arm connect... Aside from that it's not baked into its design... As long as the line makes it to the roller and seats properly it won't happen.  Their design does a good job of that (as do most) 

Happened to me on a brand new 3000 and 4500

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Justinj said:

Happened to me on a brand new 3000 and 4500

It`s the lightness of bail arm - wire that causes it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 mins ago, Justinj said:

You’ve had it happen?

I`ve foreseen it happening, while in store fidling with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Justinj said:

Happened to me on a brand new 3000 and 4500

Is the bail arm bent at the connect?  or does the screw need to be backed out and line roller assembly realligned and then tightened up again.

 

If the screw is tightened while the bail connection point and line roller parts aren't seated properly it can bind causing the wire to look bent..(seen it on other reels a few times)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

18 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

Is the bail arm bent at the connect?  or does the screw need to be backed out and line roller assembly realligned and then tightened up again.

 

If the screw is tightened while the bail connection point and line roller parts aren't seated properly it can bind causing the wire to look bent..(seen it on other reels a few times)

No both look fine. I have other Daiwa with the same style roller and no issues. Just believe it’s the reel or the bail wire mentioned in the above post. Only happens when a fish hits far out. No issues with my 3000 vertically jigging 

Edited by Justinj

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.