Sudsy

July 2020 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

698 posts in this topic

When the forecast was calling for some NNE wind this morning I had hopes of seeing a bit more activity.  Well the wind didn't start to kick up until later and when it did it pushed in warmer water. And that warmer water brought with it more rays then I have seen so far this year.  They were everywhere from big to small.  Let'em swim by and then fish, swim by then fish, and on it went.  Out side of the rays I did find a couple of schools of bunker working right along the sand.  Had hopes for awhile that something might erupt, but nothing.  Left with 4 or 5 plastics chopped, a few snappers and a small fluke to show for my efforts.  Guess I will put my hopes in the storm heading our way next week to change the water conditions a bit.  Will leave the weekend to the zoo crowd

Friday report as promised. First half of the week had a W and WSW wind which brought three things, blow torch heat, flies, and an upwelling that dropped water temps from the high 70’s to high 60’s which i think cooled fishing a bit. I caught resident stripers on swimmers in the morning and Spanish Mackerel & bluefish later in the day; wind switched to ESE Wed and Thursday which warmed things back up most mornings a few fluke no keepers, last few hours of incoming each day great Spanish bite with some 5# bluefish mixed in. Find a current & you found spanish. No bonito or albies.

Friday had a light but building east wind in the rain which is now nothing in bright sunshine. Caught Spanish and bluefish but the bite was meh, sporadic. Water is tropical temp and a bit messy. Heard things were better this week in CMC which makes sense the previous week things were very good here then slowed with the upwelling 

primary forage is for sure spearing at the moment, everything was spitting up spearing. Next is rainfish and there are also big pods of peanuts, adult bunker, lots of snappers and i think pods of juvenile hickory shad around. Did not see sand eels this week but did see small mullet. Previous week there was a shed so i think early in the week things were also on calicoes and mole crabs

there are more cow nose rays around then i have ever seen

most most fish on an epoxy jig, assasin jig or gotcha jig or on the teaser, i use a red clouser with 40#  flouro Bass on paddle tailes & crystal minnows; fluke on gulp or live snappers

i fish SMC, Spring Lake, Sea Girt down through Manasquan including the inlet and the river back through Brielle. Most of my time is on the beach in all towns moving between groins looking for current; i will only fish the inlet during a specific two hour tide window and only if there are not more than a couple of people; I am learning the river still and for me its a night time thing

this weekend i try to catch a kingfish in Monmouth County which would be a first for me. I bet this coming storm and full moon change things up a bit next week

see you next Friday would love to see more reports from other areas around what forage you see and water quality & less lurking

Posted (edited) · Report post

39 mins ago, suntzu said:

i fish SMC, Spring Lake, Sea Girt down through Manasquan including the inlet and the river back through Brielle. Most of my time is on the beach in all towns moving between groins looking for current; i will only fish the inlet during a specific two hour tide window and only if there are not more than a couple of people; I am learning the river still and for me its a night time thing

I'm around most weekends in the same areas.  I've done OK this summer in the rivers by moving around and trying new patterns.  I'm primarily at night also due to family reasons.  Pm me if you ever need a partner or just want to trade intel. 

Edited by ctd450

I did see spanish spit up sand eels midweek along with all types of bait

todaya conditions were tough fishing. Foshed daybreak until 9am.  Only landed two macs.  Dropping tide. Surf picked up and East wind.   Left soaked and cold.   

i havent had much luck with spanish macks in bad weather.  

Out back cmc this morning 630 to 845. Lots of life out there. 4 short flounder, 4 small weakfish and a blue fish. Everything was 12"-15". Bunch of bites from small fluke in between.