Sudsy

July 2020 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

698 posts in this topic

8 mins ago, Raak said:

Thanks @nam1969 and @Sudsy for the insights with splitshot. I'll pickup a few today when I get a chance. Planning to go to IBSP tomorrow evening, will give it a shot with different weights. Any tips or pointers for IBSP? Can someone tip me on a spot (pm maybe) if you are feeling too generous? :)

I have a beach permit for my jeep, so can position myself accordingly mostly towards the south beach though. I have done some homework and watched all videos for reading structure but still struggling. Determined to identify something.

I have a DJI drone, and emailed NJDep for permission to fly over the beach to get an aerial view of the water, but they haven't approved so not sure if that's an option. Thought it would be nice to get an aerial view like in all videos to get some ideas. Not that it's critical, but thought since I have one sitting around why not give it a go. But drones are banned in all state parks in NJ except without written permission. 

Make sure you have all your safety equipment before you enter the beach as you need to be prepared.

There's not much to know about IBSP, just drive and look for the cuts.  Also, if you are going to fish at night, you have a potentially to land sharks as well on big bait

22 mins ago, Goldy said:

safety equipment

Thanks @Goldy ... Safety equipment as in? Winch and stuff? I have that plus have a buddy going with his jeep.

Not a fan of sharks, rather I wouldn't know what to do with one if I get it, will probably sit there watching a video on how to unhook a shark without getting bit :) 

23 mins ago, Raak said:

Thanks @Goldy ... Safety equipment as in? Winch and stuff? I have that plus have a buddy going with his jeep.

Not a fan of sharks, rather I wouldn't know what to do with one if I get it, will probably sit there watching a video on how to unhook a shark without getting bit :) 

Before you go on the beach you have to have the required equipment from when you got the permit.  

Just now, Goldy said:

Before you go on the beach you have to have the required equipment from when you got the permit.  

OH yeah ... good on that. Been there a few times now, and lot of offroad racing experience from earlier years :) 

Up with the sun, looked like opening day at Saxton Falls on my beach, counted 6 people fishing one pocket, lots of surfers and paddle boarders. No fishing went to the office 

Was out in the kayak RB in my usual spots for those who know where I go. Insane amount of fluke this morning just all short but very fun. Had a bunch of doubles with them hitting the high hook as well. So so so much bunker!!! It's awesome to see but no predators on them. I grabbed some for baiting tomorrow with the kids to have some fun in the morning on the trashy fish. Water has cleaned up pretty good and current is where it should be for fluking. We even brought our ultralight rods to play around on the fluke. Pretty fun morning.   Oh yeah good luck heading to a beach. It was an apocalypse of traffic going south and east.

Late report from this AM, 60 min MoCo. Another beautiful morning. Little to no WNW wind, top of the dropping tide, plenty of clean white water...no fish. Had a fluke hang on for several seconds and 1 hit. Guy next to me who’s been doing well this week only landed 1. We were both using bugs. May try back in SoMoCo either tonight or tomorrow. Tides are perfect for the long weekend.

7 hours ago, Phish_Jimmy said:

Out Front MOCO 6-7am. First double of my life! 8 fish in total, all shorts. Biggest was 17".

IMG_0231.jpg

Never doubled up on fluke. Nice!

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, suntzu said:

Up with the sun, looked like opening day at Saxton Falls on my beach, counted 6 people fishing one pocket, lots of surfers and paddle boarders. No fishing went to the office 

Crazy amount of surfers lately. Walked 1 mile of beach to find an area with only 2 surfers. I'm fishing the lip and the surfer guys are way out. One comes to me "i hate to be a dick but can you move." Not a good way to strike up a request if you ask me. You always come off as a dick.

Edited by adams54

2 hours ago, Raak said:

Make sure you air down! If you got a permit you should know what equipment you need. Don’t expect to be a pro right away. I’m in my third year and still feel lucky some days to get 1 fish. Gotta put your time in for this sport. Good luck!

OC morning out front. Family beach trip but brought my fluke gear. 3 taps- 3 fluke. Kept the 18" for the table- first surf keeper of the season. The second biggest was 17.5 and I realized the specific beach I was on that was legal too for some weird NJ law, but it went back. 

Water was clean and there's definitely decent current lately. There is a lot of rain bait moving in today. The terns were tearing them up.. Good sign for those fishing high tide this evening I think

19 hours ago, Wuwu888 said:

MOCO out front 

Tried bugs the first time today no luck

keep losing my lines to mussles

can only cast out about 50 feet with 2 bugs on 3/0 hook to 2 ft leader 20lb flo. 

I must be doing something wrong 

will try again next time maybe a better spot with less mussles around. 

Using bugs, I usually just pitch them in front of me I don't cast at all tbh

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, Fishlessjoe said:

Make sure you air down! If you got a permit you should know what equipment you need. Don’t expect to be a pro right away. I’m in my third year and still feel lucky some days to get 1 fish. Gotta put your time in for this sport. Good luck!

I am definitely game to put my time in. I think once you know that you have the right setup, putting in time helps a lot because you are not doubting your setup (especially bait, weight, etc). Then you can experiment with spots, distances, etc. But if you are not sure about whether you have the right setup, and you look at people around you doing different things, at some point, you give up hope and walk away hoping to figure it out at home by reading on the internet and go prepared next time, and then you see people again doing different things  :)

I am pretty much set (I think) for using bunkers (I learned how to snag them and know where to find them) on a fishfinder setup. As of today, I have a good idea on how to use bugs (know how to catch them, made a trap that works and kids who love to fetch them) with a split shot. I have an understanding of using clam in a similar bass rig or fishfinder so I can prepare to go out there with all three baits on three rods and spend days figuring out spots, distances, tides, and times. 

I do see a lot of people fishing with plugs, etc. Since there are a million of those in the market, I am not sure which one works for which fish and how to use but I guess I can get into that once I master the above 3 baits. 

I do appreciate everyone here sharing their insights. Obviously you don't have to but still everyone takes time out of their busy schedules to answer questions and suggest improvements. I.   means a lot. Thank you.

Edited by Raak
fixing typos

3 hours ago, adams54 said:

Crazy amount of surfers lately. Walked 1 mile of beach to find an area with only 2 surfers. I'm fishing the lip and the surfer guys are way out. One comes to me "i hate to be a dick but can you move." Not a good way to strike up a request if you ask me. You always come off as a dick.

Kind of like when someone starts their sentence, "with all due respect...." Right before they disrespect you.

29 mins ago, Raak said:

I do see a lot of people fishing with plugs, etc. Since there are a million of those in the market, I am not sure which one works for which fish and how to use but I guess I can get into that once I master the above 3 baits. 

As far as artificials and plugs they all pretty much work. A lot of it is matching the profile of the dominant food source. Once you've done that then its about which part of the water column you're targeting. Then once thats been figured out then you need to choose the one that allows you to fish in the desired wind and water (current) conditions. Sp minnows and swim shads are deadly and easy to use. Start there.