Sudsy

July 2020 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

698 posts in this topic

3 mins ago, Phish_Jimmy said:

Out Front MOCO 6-7am. First double of my life! 8 fish in total, all shorts. Biggest was 17".

IMG_0231.jpg

That's cool, I've had many Bass n Blue doubles, but never saw a Fluke double.

24 mins ago, Phish_Jimmy said:

Out Front MOCO 6-7am. First double of my life! 8 fish in total, all shorts. Biggest was 17".

IMG_0231.jpg

Never had a fluke double, but that's because the doormats I catch are so large they cover both hooks! :D Congrats.

10 hours ago, Wuwu888 said:

MOCO out front 

Tried bugs the first time today no luck

keep losing my lines to mussles

can only cast out about 50 feet with 2 bugs on 3/0 hook to 2 ft leader 20lb flo. 

I must be doing something wrong 

will try again next time maybe a better spot with less mussles around. 

You are casting out too far

1 hour ago, nam1969 said:

Your going way to heavy on that setup for bugs. Downsize to a 5/0, lose the fish finder, and put a split shot on. The idea is to have the bugs drift with the current, not sit in one spot. I did use a fish finder when I used to rake calicos, but I only put a one ounce weight on it. Tight lines.

That makes sense ... How heavy of a splitshot do you suggest?

Depending on the sweep I've been using 5/8 to 1 oz dipsy sinkers on a dropper rig, fishing it right along the edge of the lip

No casting, just an underhand toss

Where the hell did all these mussels come from ? Haven't seen it like this in years since beach replenishment buried every thing they clung to.

43 mins ago, Raak said:

That makes sense ... How heavy of a splitshot do you suggest?

I go lighter than Sudsy, but its just what has worked for me. 1/4 ounce (about 7 grams). 

27 mins ago, Sudsy said:

Depending on the sweep I've been using 5/8 to 1 oz dipsy sinkers on a dropper rig, fishing it right along the edge of the lip

No casting, just an underhand toss

Where the hell did all these mussels come from ? Haven't seen it like this in years since beach replenishment buried every thing they clung to.

Its been slowly building, but last evening was a dramatic step up in volume. 

Speaking of mussels, I was fishing with Jimmy Tober (God rest his soul) years ago and he got tangled in the mother of all mussel beds. He refused to cut the line and pulled it in, foot by foot, untangling as he went. Took him damn near a half hour, but he got his rig. He had a pile of mussels around him halfway up to his calf! Quite a character. 

F the sinker Sudsy! Become a fairy wand waver and use some hand tied mole crabs and calicos. Even a newbie fly boy can reach the lip in the beginning, and you'll feel a whole better on a hook up.;)

IMG_0048.JPG

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, Fishlessjoe said:

You are casting out too far

14 hours ago, Loudog said:

50’ is plenty far and in fact most of the fish I catch on bugs are inside of 15-20 ft.  They are literally right in the lip.  I cast at an angle parallel to the beach.

Thanks for the tips, I think the main problem is the mussels. 
I had to cut my line 3 times and retie and spent 15 minutes try to untangle and finally gave up and left. 
I will up my hook size to 5/0 and give a another try in a few days. 

Edited by Wuwu888

I never thought I'd see a "bug blitz" but now I have. Incredible amount of bugs last evening at sunset where I was in MOCO out front. I refuse to fish em, only cause I'm stubborn and I like casting and retrieving plugs. They are the predominant bait right now and the fish are on them. I coaxed a 24" bass and a 16" fluke into hitting my plug but from what I saw I could of had one after the other on bugs. Crazy!  Never seen this many bugs, maybe beach replenishment gives them good conditions to thrive? Idk. 

Over the years have never had much luck with the bugs (probably because I’m not as seasoned as MC55 or Nam at letting the rip work the bugs for me) but I think I finally put it together this year. Rather than searching for rips, I walk down the washline and look for those pockets where the sand is just flat out covered in them. I walk with these concentrations of them as the sweep moves them down the beach and almost treat them as chum. Reminds me very much of weakfishing grass shrimp slicks as a kid, very nostalgic. Have been getting anywhere from 5-10 bass an outing with the biggest being around 30” the past few weeks. Most around 20-24” range. Fluking has been slower for me, but the ones I have been getting have been larger than years past. Less postage stamp fluke, and definitely more keepers this year from the suds. Can’t complain.

Surf was still pretty active, wish I could say the same about the fish.  Only found one this morning and maybe had a couple other light hits with the bugs.  Bugs were there but the fish just weren't in a feeding mood.  May try moving to a different spot in the morning. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thanks @nam1969 and @Sudsy for the insights with splitshot. I'll pickup a few today when I get a chance. Planning to go to IBSP tomorrow evening, will give it a shot with different weights. Any tips or pointers for IBSP? Can someone tip me on a spot (pm maybe) if you are feeling too generous? :)

I have a beach permit for my jeep, so can position myself accordingly mostly towards the south beach though. I have done some homework and watched all videos for reading structure but still struggling. Determined to identify something.

I have a DJI drone, and emailed NJDep for permission to fly over the beach to get an aerial view of the water, but they haven't approved so not sure if that's an option. Thought it would be nice to get an aerial view like in all videos to get some ideas. Not that it's critical, but thought since I have one sitting around why not give it a go. But drones are banned in all state parks in NJ except without written permission. 

Edited by Raak
Missed some detail.