Sudsy

July 2020 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

698 posts in this topic

July 2020, wonder what it has in store for us ??

July.jpg.e55cb425a3332d5fd0914baffc0c9e7f.jpg

Report as little or as much detail as you would like to provide the reader but please don't post specific street names or areas, (cites, parks, landmarks etc).

A specific spot is too much information!

It's not like telling a friend or two, posting it here is telling thousands. Doing so only creates crowds, garbage, and loss of our spots.

For example, you can say that you did not catch fish in Ocean County but saying that you skunked at Ocean Beach is a no-no.

The terms to use are..........

Monmouth County
Ocean County
Atlantic County
Cape May County
North Jersey for the Hudson and other backwaters.

County name plus "In the back" for Inlets, Rivers, and Bays. 

June was a skunk month for me, besides some luck on lakes and ponds with lot of bluegills and some catch and release bass. Saw stripers being pulled out bacn, but didn't get any myself. Upgraded my gear, need to put my time in finding structures and spots that produce.

I have a jeep and permit for IBSP but really like being close to my car while fishing which is why I like some places around the bay where I can cast and sit on my jeep's hood and wait for action. Would really appreciate a dm or message with suggestions where one can cast and be close to the car since sometimes I have my kids with me who like sitting in the car and listen to music or play games in the car.

Good luck for July to all with great catches and awesome action 

Surf was rolling with some big water every now and then this morning.  Surfers were out in force but most staying out off the beach and not in the casting zone.  Water was pushing so hard at times I was see sundials being dumped on the sand.  Found plenty of bugs and 7 stripers that were hungry.  A good start to the month by landing one that hit 31 inches and another just over 27.  Action improved as the tide started to drop out.  Let's hope these fish decide to continue to hang around for awhile.

DSCF3112.JPG

DSCF3114.JPG

Nice roll early this morning from the off shore low, light east wind, warm clear water in SMC plenty of bass on bugs until the sun got a bit high. Later in the morning dolphins galore crushing the pods of bunker that are still every few hundred feet just off the beach. Nice day, will be back out this evening 

any reports from NMOCO?

it was dead city all last week....no bait/birds/dolphins/whales.....sad

hoping for a turn around starting tomorrow....unless it already has[?]

53 mins ago, suntzu said:

Nice roll early this morning from the off shore low, light east wind, warm clear water in SMC plenty of bass on bugs until the sun got a bit high. Later in the morning dolphins galore crushing the pods of bunker that are still every few hundred feet just off the beach. Nice day, will be back out this evening 

Look at you with all these reports ! 

Copy machine repair business been slow ??

Out front MOCO again this morning. Very light wind, calm surf with waves around 2 ft. Fluking is definitely picking up. Third day in a row with keeper size in the suds. 2 fish 18", let them swim away. 3 others around 14". Gulp mullet on bucktail with teaser.  

MOCO out front 

Tried bugs the first time today no luck

keep losing my lines to mussles

can only cast out about 50 feet with 2 bugs on 3/0 hook to 2 ft leader 20lb flo. 

I must be doing something wrong 

will try again next time maybe a better spot with less mussles around. 

7 mins ago, Wuwu888 said:

MOCO out front 

Tried bugs the first time today no luck

keep losing my lines to mussles

can only cast out about 50 feet with 2 bugs on 3/0 hook to 2 ft leader 20lb flo. 

I must be doing something wrong 

will try again next time maybe a better spot with less mussles around. 

50’ is plenty far and in fact most of the fish I catch on bugs are inside of 15-20 ft.  They are literally right in the lip.  I cast at an angle parallel to the beach.

Went to the hook, hoping for some action. Was greeted with a never ending convoy of dolphins. Also saw a kid fishing far from their father running around with a 18ish inch striper, probably took it home, not sure though.

I fished for about 2 hours with bugs, 2 or 3 on a circle 8 hook with 4oz sinker on a slide. No luck. I cast far but pulled it in a few spins every couple of minutes. Nada. 

Tried a friends rod with a chrome spoon with treble hooks, felt like a bite but reeled it in empty. Lot of mussels on the beach though. 

Saw a couple of other serious fishermen there too, was wondering if they are on SOL but never got a chance to initiate a conversation as they looked like they meant business being at the beach.  So got skunked on the first day of July as well :(

Down at the beach, an hour into the outgoing, last evening. Beautiful white water with large wave action. Floated bugs. Like others have reported, the mussels were thick. Line broke off at one point. It was so entangled in mussels that I couldn't move it more than a couple of feet at a time. Another guy fishing the next beach down had the same problem. We both threw in the towel. There was a couple of spots that I thought might be fishable, but the surfer brigade had invaded and were playing bumper boards right where I wanted to fish. 

Slept in this morning. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hit my favorite rock pile in SoMoCo from 5:45 to 7:15.  Tried the bugs, but kept coming up with tons of snot and mussels on the line.  Frustrating.  Had 2 noncommittal hits that I missed and caught a big fat skunk.  Should have surfed instead!

Edited by Loudog

8 hours ago, Raak said:

Went to the hook, hoping for some action. Was greeted with a never ending convoy of dolphins. Also saw a kid fishing far from their father running around with a 18ish inch striper, probably took it home, not sure though.

I fished for about 2 hours with bugs, 2 or 3 on a circle 8 hook with 4oz sinker on a slide. No luck. I cast far but pulled it in a few spins every couple of minutes. Nada. 

Tried a friends rod with a chrome spoon with treble hooks, felt like a bite but reeled it in empty. Lot of mussels on the beach though. 

Saw a couple of other serious fishermen there too, was wondering if they are on SOL but never got a chance to initiate a conversation as they looked like they meant business being at the beach.  So got skunked on the first day of July as well :(

Your going way to heavy on that setup for bugs. Downsize to a 5/0, lose the fish finder, and put a split shot on. The idea is to have the bugs drift with the current, not sit in one spot. I did use a fish finder when I used to rake calicos, but I only put a one ounce weight on it. Tight lines.