Bogey

Barbless hooks

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

If enough people asked for them could some manufacturer be convinced to supply barbless trebles and singles in salt water quality, in-line hooks are of no use for plugs with a swivel hook hanger. I have yet to find a plier that does an easy way to bend them down.

they have them, just really really large. GT recorder, BKK, Decoy, etc. Owner I think make the smallest barbless hooks 

I don't think the demand is high enough in the states, like mentioned above companies that manufacture hooks for gt lures like decoy make them. Most of those companies are based out of japan and have big market for gt fishing in australia and the surrounding areas where that type of hook is popular.

If you really pinch down with a decent pair of pliers you should be able to squash the barb on all but the largest hooks, personally I don't see the need for barbless hooks in the salt, most fish are hardy and have tougher mouths when compared with freshwater trout where the argument for barbless is more valid. Plus if the fish chokes a treble, barbless or not its not coming out easy.

I went to crushing barbs to get them out of me, not the fish. Just took a $900 bill from a ER Room visit. It was obvious almost right away that my hook up ratio noticeably improved.

Just crush them yourself, why buy them.I crush my barbs when bluefish are around. None of my barbs are crushed when I fish at night, ever.....

I use VMC 9626s in PS and I think they crush really easily. I have tried them in size 6, size 4, size 2, and size 2/0. 

I also just picked up some 4/0 Owner Barbless SSW Circle hooks for fishing mole crabs. 

The best barbless singles I found were Vanfook for freshwater and Gami 55BLs for saltwater. 

I also deep hooked a 16” fluke on a Gami Octopus hook the other day and was able to turn the hook around and remove it very easily since it was barbless. Would’ve felt bad tossing that thing back with a hook that deep or if I had ripped it out... Probably got the hook out within a minute and sent her off on her way. 

10 hours ago, Bogey said:

If enough people asked for them could some manufacturer be convinced to supply barbless trebles and singles in salt water quality, in-line hooks are of no use for plugs with a swivel hook hanger. I have yet to find a plier that does an easy way to bend them down.

I use a Dremmel grinding bit while holding the hook with locking pliers. Like one poster said, pulling a barbed treble out of your skin may sell you on the conversion.

Owner STBL-66 is a barbless treble not as heavy as the others which are meant for GT, etc. 

Yep, a Dremel does a good job of grinding off hook barbs. 

14 hours ago, fishhappy said:

I use a Dremmel grinding bit while holding the hook with locking pliers. Like one poster said, pulling a barbed treble out of your skin may sell you on the conversion.

6 hours ago, Steg said:

Owner STBL-66 is a barbless treble not as heavy as the others which are meant for GT, etc. 

Yep, a Dremel does a good job of grinding off hook barbs. 

Yup dremel for me as well. Sometimes when you try to use pliers, you end up breaking off the whole tip.

As an aside for dremel guys, the newer cordless dremel with the 12v lithium battery is much better than the previous

cordless models. I'm finding it quite handy.