BrokeOff

Clousers Accurately at Distance

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

I'm getting fairly frustrated trying to cast clousers accurately at distance.

My casting in general has been improving lately and I hit my personal best distance with no fly and no wind last night.  Enter the clouser and the fly is hitting the ground once I try to aerialize more that about 30' of line with a 12' leader.  I'm fishing with a 9 wt rod and a 9 wt Striper Ridge but jumped to a 10 wt striper ridge on the same rod to see if it helped manage the heavy clouser.  It didn't help that much.

My thought is that one of two things are happening.  First any arch in the cast is shooting the clouser to the ground.  Second, and what I think is most likely occurring, any overpowering on the forward or back casts - especially with an early excessive power application - results in a bullet maxing out at the end of the cast and resulting in an inadvertent pile cast.

Any thoughts?

One thing, a 12 foot leader is more suited to trout fishing.   The other question would be what pound test is the leader that you're using?

I have been using the Angling Company permit leader setup.  5' @ 50#, 4' @ 40#, 1' at 30#, and 3' @ 16#.  I'm fishing heavy clousers and crabs to spotted fish in 1 - 4 ft of water.  I'm doing fine to 60'.  It's getting to a pod of bigger fish cruising past at 70 - 80' that is the trouble. 

Later in the day when I put on a 5' bucktail baitfish pattern I was able to launch it just fine.

Shooting head type line and steep tapered leader? So less false casting and a heavier head to carry the clouser.

shorter leader. 

go out and give it a try

If that didnt help may I suggest you have someone video your cast and review it or have someone else take a look.  You may find that you will need adjustments. 

What would a shorter leader look like?

My concern is that we fish very tight in 18" one hour and on the side of a flat in 4' water the next.  Maybe two rigs?

I have been working with a CI via video for over a year.  Not specifically for this issue tough. 

Clousers are absolutely miserable things to cast.  Google Lefty casting them for some other ideas.  Generally you have to ease up on the power and slow down a bit.  Remember you are essentially casting a lead sinker.  

Did I mention they are miserable?

1 hour ago, BrokeOff said:

Think something under 9ft but more than 6 ft. depending on water conditions. 

2 hours ago, BrokeOff said:

My concern is that we fish very tight in 18" one hour and on the side of a flat in 4' water the next.  Maybe two rigs?

I have been working with a CI via video for over a year.  Not specifically for this issue tough. 

4-6’ of 40lb leader material, surgeons loop, 18-24” of tippet of your choice. That’s all you need. You could just go with 5-6 of straight 20lb. 

6 mins ago, Drew C. said:

4-6’ of 40lb leader material, surgeons loop, 18-24” of tippet of your choice. That’s all you need. You could just go with 5-6 of straight 20lb. 

On the flats?

After getting rejected from dozens of fish I’m reluctant to go that heavy and short.

A constant tension cast is ideal for Clousers. You dont make a hard stop on the back cast. The cast shape is eliltical. Low back cast and come over the top with high forward cast. Very similar to a Begian cast.

There are other techniques like drifting on back cast to control the fly so it does not bang against the leader which will force it down towards the ground.

Very tight loops are not very helpful casting sinking lines and flies like Clousers.

Big cause are a Clousers with huge heavy eyes. Most shop purchased Clousers have big heavy dumbel eyes. If you tye your own try Spirit River Real Eyes in size 5/32. Big heavy Clousers  will kerplunk  no matter what you do.

Mike

2 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

A constant tension cast is ideal for Clousers. You dont make a hard stop on the back cast. The cast shape is eliltical. Low back cast and come over the top with high forward cast. Very similar to a Begian cast.

There are other techniques like drifting on back cast to control the fly so it does not bang against the leader which will force it down towards the ground.

Very tight loops are not very helpful casting sinking lines and flies like Clousers.

Big cause are a Clousers with huge heavy eyes. Most shop purchased Clousers have big heavy dumbel eyes. If you tye your own try Spirit River Real Eyes in size 5/32. Big heavy Clousers  will kerplunk  no matter what you do.

Mike

Yes, I do well with an oval cast but at distance it gets tough.

I would absolutely shorten that leader to 7'-9' and go with lighter weight Clousers.In that shallow water,try some tied with bead chain eyes.Much easier to cast and still work well.

I agree with Mike.  If you must use a long leader, try the constant tension cast.  Ironically, Bob himself published a good SBS explanation of the cast in I believe American Angler a few years ago.  He calls it the inverted loop cast.  Just remember, do not stop on the back cast.  Just maintain constant tension.  You may break fewer off and will be surprised at the power in the loop despite the fact that the two legs are wider.  And/or try the more aerodynamic Jiggy fly.

20 mins ago, BrokeOff said:

On the flats?

After getting rejected from dozens of fish I’m reluctant to go that heavy and short.

That’s what I would use but make it 3’ of leader and 24-36’ of tippet if you’re worried. 

also, a clouser probably wouldn’t be my first choice of stealth was needed.