July 2020

Rate this topic

ASrod

Anyone recall when the croakers and blues showed up in the bay last year?  I haven’t fished much these last few years but would have expected the croakers to show up in numbers by now and blues not far behind.  It’s been a hot and dry year so far.  Bay salinity and temps should be ideal for blues?  Anyone venturing out in this heatwave?  With most public locations closed at sunset the ideal fishing times are probably limited.

7/18 - Day of crabbing. Started around 9:30 headed to the east bay ended at 3. 46 crabs in the boat. Not bad for the first time trotline. Missed a bunch of big ones. The crabs were clean and sweet. The eastern bay has much cleaner water. Saw tons of peanut bunker popping on the surface on the way back. Was tempted to throw some plugs at them to see if anything would bite, but the wife and kids wanted to head back so no fishing.

7/19 - Fishing planned for the day. Headed out with a buddy and his 2 boys to go fishing this day. Left the marina around 10. The water on the western side was brown and chocolate. Headed to the eastern side of the bay where the water was green and clean. It was a hot day. Saw some peanut bunker popping. Threw out a cast net and caught a few to use as bait for later. Then threw some spoons to see in anything was underneath. Nothing. Kept heading east across the bay. Got close to our fishing spot when I saw some birds working bait on top of the water. Got in closer to the birds and threw out some spoon and soft plastic jig heads. Managed 2 short rocks before the bite died. Continued to our spot and anchored up. Had a few more short rocks on blood worms before the tide turned slack and the bite died. Not much else. Headed back around 1. No keepers, just short rocks.

Edited by drumsfield

Shimano Stratic Ci4+ 4000/St Croix Premier 7ft 

Shimano Stratic FK 5000/St Croix Triumph 9ft

Shimano Saragosa 6000/St Croix Mojo Surf 11ft

Went to a spot that usually should have kicked off already, but this heatwave seems to have given them lockjaw. The target species was reds or cocktail blues but we couldn’t even manage spot to use for bait. Had tons of little croaker between 5-8 inches.

If you can dream it, I can meme it.

19 hours ago, ASrod said:

Went to a spot that usually should have kicked off already, but this heatwave seems to have given them lockjaw. The target species was reds or cocktail blues but we couldn’t even manage spot to use for bait. Had tons of little croaker between 5-8 inches.

Aren't those baby croaker annoying?

Too small to eat, too small to use as bait.

Arghhh.

1 min ago, Saltfruit said:

Was hittin a cloud of em mixed with baby reds 2 weeks back when I was messing around st marys.

Better than perches, but not by much.

At least perch can be used for bait once every blue moon. Those juvie croakers piss me off.

If you can dream it, I can meme it.

17 mins ago, ASrod said:

At least perch can be used for bait once every blue moon. Those juvie croakers piss me off.

Fair...nothing worse than catching a bunch of fish you *could* eat then getting crushed by minimums.

Dunno if I've ever eaten a perch actually....

9 hours ago, Saltfruit said:

Fair...nothing worse than catching a bunch of fish you *could* eat then getting crushed by minimums.

Dunno if I've ever eaten a perch actually....

Perch is good eating fish. One of my favorites in terms of taste. Only worth keeping to eat if they're 10" or bigger. Small ones are a pain to clean and pick out the bones.

Shimano Stratic Ci4+ 4000/St Croix Premier 7ft 

Shimano Stratic FK 5000/St Croix Triumph 9ft

Shimano Saragosa 6000/St Croix Mojo Surf 11ft

9 hours ago, drumsfield said:

Perch is good eating fish. One of my favorites in terms of taste. Only worth keeping to eat if they're 10" or bigger. Small ones are a pain to clean and pick out the bones.

We talking yellow or white?

Regardless. Fishing up a bunch of 10+ inchers ain't that worth the scales.

39 mins ago, danta said:

are we the only ones fishing on this sit?.hope the water won't be to bad after these storms.will try to get a day in on saturday.

Maybe.

In this state at least.

I got car-work this weekend, but maybe next week I'll head to OC and check the blues/macks bite.