ASrod

July 2020

Rate this topic

58 posts in this topic

I was out last night chasing a few very good reports. I couldn’t find anything but massive schools of mid sized bunker with nothing on them. How about everyone else?

7/3 Headed out of Chesapeake Beach east. Went to last week's crabbing spot to look for crabs and some fish. Put out some crab lines and got about 5 nice sized crabs in a couple hours. Not as much as last time but at least I know they're still there. While I was at it I put out some bloodworms on #2 Aberdeen hooks to see if I could hook up on some spot. Ended up catching about 10 short schoolie stripers instead. I'll be heading out Sunday again, this time I'll be looking for some bigger fish.

Headed out this evening if all goes well. Looks like a good day to fish based on similar conditions from last year.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Did a little social distance scouting around the Tangier Sound Islands last Sunday and lucked into a nice 44" Bull Red. Was quite a battle on light tackle and lure. 

IMG_6753.jpg.bf9d369eb932cd9e573b3577fc9947df.jpgIMG_6757.jpg.8cbedb9bb9ff00b6c9b90af67ac2dc96.jpg

Edited by roughneck3

Nice Bull Red. They come in well into Tangier in the Spring time.

The past week here mid bay has been still the same as June. The only consistency is that the fish are sparse. Topwater hasn't been good, going subsurface in order to compensate for the lack of fish. Now that it's been getting warmer, I'm now turning away from Rockfish and towards other quarry or going nocturnal.  

Anyone know anything on PLO blues?

Had a park guy tell me they were hitting surface plugs (morning) few weeks back.

Only saw a few babies myself.

Headed out from the dock at 9:45 east past Sharps Lighthouse. Let the kids play in the water, crabbed a little, caught a mess of big spot and a few perch. Pulled up anchor around 2pm and headed to Sharps Lighthouse. Put out some live spot (hook through the nose) within minutes the spot was jumping around. Something was chasing them. Pulled up the line and the spot was bitten up to the head. Threw a few more spot same thing. Bitten off to the head. I tried a few different hook placements but whatever was chomping the to spot would just bite the fish avoiding the hook every time. 

Could it have been bluefish? Spanish Mackrel? I've never seen this before.

14 mins ago, drumsfield said:

Could it have been bluefish?

100% bluefish...they are pros at eating everything up to the head and not eating the head. They do it with bunker up here all the time - the bass eat the heads :)

TimS

25 mins ago, drumsfield said:

Could it have been bluefish? Spanish Mackrel? I've never seen this before.

Tim's on it.

Bluefish are infuriatingly good at avoiding hooks sometimes.

Mostly cause they hit whatever part is hanging out the furthest.

At that point I'd start throwing metals or chunks.

What size were those spot? Might've been some decent blues if they were cuttin em up that fast.