Kanine Kleenup

Will these wires electrocute me?

Rate this topic

64 posts in this topic

There were squirrels.. I dispatched them... now I need to cover this opening, but I’m afraid of these wires.. any linemen out there? I’m planning on putting a wire cover after I straighten the louvers .. What happens if I bang into those wires? Any guidance would be appreciated...

AA7B3CEF-76B1-4A46-A69C-396467DCD54E.jpeg

Yes they can get ya. More likely then not there’s prob cracks in the insulation ..  where gloves , no aluminum ladders ,   And just be careful .. if ya touch one and your not grounded no big deal .. if ya are you will get shocked , and touching both hot wires at once very bad , don’t do that .. looks like ya got plenty room 

Posted (edited) · Report post

GEE BIRDS ARE ALWAYS SITTING ON THEM. SQUIREELS USE THEM LIKE A TIGHT ROPE.  

jut extend a metal painters pole and touch each one.  no spark and your good to go.

Edited by coolhandfluke

In theory no you shouldn't get electrocuted. The wires are insulated and the splices are contained in the fuzzy boxes and or high voltage tape. However,  if there are small cracks in the insulation and you touch it with bare skin especially sweaty skin there is potential to get whacked. 

1) just avoid touching them. It's not going to jump out of the wires and get you. You physically must touch that voltage to get hit

2) wear some gloves.

3) avoid metal ladder.

My credentials,  electrical inspector for a large agency.  

13 mins ago, peanutbunkerandjelly said:

Quickly seared, same way I like my tuna.

It's the slow fall that makes it .... Quite fortunate that he wasn't on a ladder cause he coulda got really hurt ...

And just in case you didn't know, it's the ones near the upper corner that'll get you (and the big grey one that I'm guessing run to your meter). The lower ones are cable TV / phone.  

45 mins ago, Brother Brian said:

Yeah, don't flail around and you should be fine.

Here's an example ...

5796901ff390731439ffcfef5b178d53.gif

Indian railroad elec. inspector job now open. KAPOW