Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. July 2 - July 9

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

The fish blog was created as a communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity. The sharing benefits those who greatly use this RI forum and our local waters.

The premise is to gather all weekly reports into one common portal unit, making it easy to access, view and add your own reports.  

This is the third year with this kind of approach. Last year was great participation. 

Post your success or skunks.   Either way, black or white, zero to hero,  let us all know where the bite is good or is it not worth fishing at all.

Fresh, factual information is the best Intel source we have today at our disposal. 

First two weeks in July. Biggest and busiest  two vacation weeks of the summer, that's if you still have not lost your job due to virus.

Should be plenty of anglers on the beach at night, plenty of boaters. Have a wonderful 4th of July.

Block Island. There is some quality stripers around in the early morning hours on the fly. Afterwards, plenty of 24 inch schools and harbor blues thoughout the rest of the day.

IMG_2180.JPG

dead in narragansett this morning 2A-10A,  small blues and thats it,  seaweed seems to have cleared however, water still a little cloudy

Happy Fourth of July

Fished to the west,  four hours last night for zip. Found a few schoolies and small blues on the beach about sunrise. They were digging the bone spook this morning. 

Pursued the Wiley fluke today. Lots of fish, not many keepers. Also caught 3 jumbo sized sea bass. Fishing just to the west of the harbor of refuge.

Fished a jetty at the harbor of refuge. Struggled for fluke and lost some nice hits. Got cut off by the first keeper when it are one last dive down to the rocks. Lost the one I landed cuz it flopped after I measured it and fell into the jetty lol 6” gulp was the ticket for me today. The smaller gulp was working hard to get commitments today. 

Went to lower bay today in middle of the day first for striper then fluke.  Got 4 small striper less than 20 inches on diving plugs then I used both gulp and squid on my rigs, no fluke caught, just a bunch of scup which were decent sized.  Not one blue or sea bass.  No birds working that I could see.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Last weekend, took the wife to the beach to do her thing.

Threw some kastmasters out the soco front and got into a school of jumbo hickory shad.  Averaging 20-25 inches, never seen them so big before.  Fun on light tackle.

Edited by DEM Parking Lot

Hit a rocky shoreline for right before dark till almost high tide. White bucket crew was in full affect, taking many of the spots i wanted to fish (their right, they were there first) figured i would wait them out till after dark.  Well many did not move at dark, instead broke out big white lights for themselves and their families.  They were not catching and were eating up a big productive chunk of shoreline, which was a bit frustrating.  Got a few schoolies picking away at pockets and an almost keeper on a yellow darter. Fish wanted yellow or sand eel looking plugs.  beautiful conditions East wind, cloud cover, dark and nice surf so really thought it would have been more productive.  Finally not many weeds around.

Moved to a back water spot on my way home, tide was big which made it a bit tricky. Big angry bluefish were all over and when caught were throwing up big chunks of bunker, which clearly they had been feasting on. Few schoolies in the mix, got chased out by pouring rain as I was not expecting it and didnt have my dry top on.

Fishing Log Block Island

Date/Time - July 8,   5:30am - 2:00pm

Tide/Moon Phase / Height - Low tide at 5:00am, incoming all morning.

Water Temperature / Wind / Direction  - 69 degrees,  south east at 5-10 mph

Wave Height - 4 foot rollers, choppy in places

Water Clarity - good

Bait / Bird Activity -  sand eels down 10 feet to bottom.

Fishing Pressure - only a few boats. Fog most of the morning, thick down the southern end

This is the earliest I've caught a bonito at Block Island, July 8th.

Had a slam with stripers, bluefish, and bonito.

Thousands of stripers nymphing the surface for most of the morning.

Striper fishing was so consistent it was unreal. Nothing large, no keepers, mostly around 22-24 inches.

IMG_2184.JPG

IMG_2187.JPG

Been a long time since I had a day like today from shore. Couple of bluefish from shore in the morning one nice size one maybe 10lb. Little bit of a lull late morning. Picked up a nice sea bass and a small fluke. Around 12 in the afternoon the bluefish bite picked up and was steady for at least three hours. Fish in the he 5 to 10lb range. People were still catching a few after I left but I was beat and had to get home for an appointment. 

If it was the fall (late August and later) that front would be fishy as hell. We don’t have the bait to fuel a great bite at this point. Usually stacks up once we get that peanut, sand eel, or silverside push later in summer. Just my opinion.