luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - July 2020

Rate this topic

55 posts in this topic

As always, this is the place for your reports... as little or as much detail as you care to share, with hopefully a good bit less focus posted on exact spots, times, and locations. Any and all word from the local waters welcome here, and "no fish" reports are welcome as well; always good to have gotten out there at least, wasn't it? 

;)

Summer is in full swing, good luck!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Fished at OC inlet yesterday 8:30-3 pm. Lots of action in the AM, as it gets busier with boats in and out, bait stopped. Short tautog raged 11-14 inches and toadfish.

Edited by Rangler

Anyone that knows me knows that I love teaching our younger generation how to surf fish especially when they have a passion for it. I met up with a young guy ive been teaching for the last year or so tonight. We were toasing kingfish rigs and we each had a big rod out for any possible toothy critters etc. Well around 10 pm his bait rod doubles over and starts dumping line. We figured he had a kingfish on that a shark got ahold of. Anyway he fights it back and forth for 10 minutes and when it got close i went out to land it for him, to my complete and utter surprise it was a 50" red drum on a 1/0 hook lol. As soon as i picked the fish up the hook broke. Never seen a red caught in July off assateague. You could tell it was an older red, almost lost all the bronze color and was completely grey. I think the only saving grace he had was the water was very warm so the red didn't have the energy levels they typically would have in the fall. Im totally proud of the kid he has come a long way since I met him. BTW he is only 14. The look on his face was priceless. I had a few Spanish mackerel tossing plugs and we both had a bunch of small to medium toothy guys as well. As a heads up, new regs are being heavily enforced with catching shark. The park rangers have been sitting and watching making sure the shark are not brought onto land to release. So of you go out after them be prepared to dehook them in the surf break. 

IMG_20200703_030627_035.jpg

IMG_20200702_125916_744.jpg

3 mins ago, Jim McFeeley said:

Wow. Thats something else . What bait was on the king rig that it decided to eat? Congrats to the kid and you for having him out there 

He had a small piece of bunker on

Nice Dave!  That is awesome that your willing to share your knowledge.  Thanks for the heads up on keeping the toothy critters in the water, it's going to make it harder to tag them, might just have to only do that during the day now. I can't wait to get down to my favorite spots past 21.6 next month (hopefully!).

Posted (edited) · Report post

Nice going.... shows ya just don’t know what’s our there :)

Now go get a cobia !!!!!

Edited by Catskill John

1 min ago, Catskill John said:

Nice going.... shows ya just don’t know what’s our there :)

Now go get a cobra !!!!!

Do cobra's go after bunker as well :)  Sorry couldn't resist, we know you meant cobia, stupid spell check.

12 hours ago, dave sharkman said:

Anyone that knows me knows that I love teaching our younger generation how to surf fish especially when they have a passion for it. I met up with a young guy ive been teaching for the last year or so tonight. We were toasing kingfish rigs and we each had a big rod out for any possible toothy critters etc. Well around 10 pm his bait rod doubles over and starts dumping line. We figured he had a kingfish on that a shark got ahold of. Anyway he fights it back and forth for 10 minutes and when it got close i went out to land it for him, to my complete and utter surprise it was a 50" red drum on a 1/0 hook lol. As soon as i picked the fish up the hook broke. Never seen a red caught in July off assateague. You could tell it was an older red, almost lost all the bronze color and was completely grey. I think the only saving grace he had was the water was very warm so the red didn't have the energy levels they typically would have in the fall. Im totally proud of the kid he has come a long way since I met him. BTW he is only 14. The look on his face was priceless. I had a few Spanish mackerel tossing plugs and we both had a bunch of small to medium toothy guys as well. As a heads up, new regs are being heavily enforced with catching shark. The park rangers have been sitting and watching making sure the shark are not brought onto land to release. So of you go out after them be prepared to dehook them in the surf break. 

IMG_20200703_030627_035.jpg

IMG_20200702_125916_744.jpg

Hey Dave,  

What an awesome story and WOW what a fish!  You definitely made that kids summer and gave him a memory he'll never forget.  Good job!

Great work Dave! That kid is hooked now! Instead of cruising OC when he gets his drivers license, he may very well be cruising the beach looking for cuts!