WomboReloaded

Daiwa 20 BG MQ

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

I'm not sure it looks as good as the 2016 BG, but i have seen only the picture on the Daiwa site and a short bit of video which doesn't show the reel very well. 

It's interesting though. Daiwa seems to like to chop and change a lot. 

All they had to do was give this reel an aluminum main gear (but then I guess it would out do Certate sales) and Diawa would finally have a rugged reel with decent sealing again that wasn't magseal. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

jk, it needs stronger shafts also. Knob shaft primarily.

They don`t mention LT concept in this one, which ( the lack of that ) is good.

Edited by glos

7 hours ago, glos said:

What ya talk about. I can`t find anything.

From the scrolling banners at the top of the homepage you need to follow “2020 new product showcase”. 

4 hours ago, glos said:

jk, it needs stronger shafts also. Knob shaft primarily.

They don`t mention LT concept in this one, which ( the lack of that ) is good.

5000-6000 size is around 430g which is heavier than 400g for the equivalent 4000 16 BG. 

For small sizes you can get a stradic fl around $270AUD here.    

Maybe there is a reason to buy one of the big sizes?

On 2.7.2020. at 0:26 AM, WomboReloaded said:

Maybe there is a reason to buy one of the big sizes?

Yes, smaller ones break too easily:

IMG_20190919_180012_01.jpg

Edited by glos

Still a cast zinc main gear. I see no reason for the new BG MQ when there are reels in it's bracket just as strong and rigid with better internals. Unless the new BG is crazy sealed I see no reason to look at it over the Penn slammer III. Buddy has turned his BG2500 into a total coffee grinder with use, his slammer is still 95% what it was new.

He does fish harder than most of us though. Here's the main gear from his SSV4500... His pictures, not mine

Resized_Stripped_SSV_Gear-2.jpg.6755fa5af10e091533b1024785635a26.jpgResized_Stripped_SSV_Gear.jpg.bfd81d19b59981fff150089f7200a597.jpg

Edited by RedGreen

If I was in their place and choose to go MQ on reels. I would not go below certain standards for such a magnificent concept ( mq ).

Alu main gear, thick solid bail wire, alu rotor, thick main shaft, strong knob shaft, alu body.

9 hours ago, glos said:

If I was in their place and choose to go MQ on reels. I would not go below certain standards for such a magnificent concept ( mq ).

Alu main gear, thick solid bail wire, alu rotor, thick main shaft, strong knob shaft, alu body.

Is there anything from Daiwa other than the new Saltiga that has an Al rotor? I think that is your only option. Lol

For me it needs to be an Al gear. I have a BG 4000 and a couple Excelers. Butter smooth new. But after around 40 big (for  me) 55-70cm australian salmon (Arripis trutta) the BG had lost its butter smoothness. Same with the Excelers (on silver trevally). I think it’s the gears as they have never got any salt on them and I even tried a new pinion bearing on the BG. But Im no expert. 

My FK and FL Stradics feel as new despite many fish. 

Edited by WomboReloaded

10 hours ago, glos said:

Agreed, problem is though now that the top tier Saltiga main gear is an aluminum alloy instead of bronze alloy there is no mid-range main gear. So essentially they would be selling their flagship in the high 200$ price range just without magseal and the new aluminum rotor. It would be nice if they came out with another "Catalina/Isla" style reel with the features of the Saltiga but cheaper by maybe ditching the magseal and magsealed ball bearings for standard rubber seals....but I doubt that will happen.

daq, I`ve redistribute it. That`s what I do , redistribute knowledge and info.

And jk, they could also offer bushings instead of bearings, which would actually make it better for the most part, same as rubber seals do. But "lesser" of a reel for average fishos.