DeepBlue85

When it's time to show them the world

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Grumpy1 said:

Nice picture and thought.  Enjoy, mine will be a junior in college this fall.  Goes quickly, but is so fun.

It goes way too quickly.  Just spend good time with him.  It's the best thing you can do.

Thanks for sharing that great photo.

It reminds me of the first time I took my oldest son to the ocean.

It was Nauset Beach and he was about 18 months old.

He got very excited to see the water and immediately ran to the edge where an incoming wave took his feet out from under him before he got knee deep.

The  quickly receding water started to pull him in a bit deeper but I was within lunging distance and  scooped him up quickly.
Both he and my wife were wide eyed and we all learned to respect the water a little more that day.

As others have said, the time when they are small is so precious and it does go by too quickly.

Enjoy it while you can and cherish the memories.

Cheers.

Enjoy it while you can. They grow up way too fast. I am doing it now with my 11 year old grandson.  It feels good, when he calls and says when are we going fishing.

My Dad took me fishing from a pier when I was 4 years old (or at least I remember it that way). He put a shrimp on a hook, tossed it off the pier and let me hold the rod. A big Spot took the bait and I did some reeling in.  After the fish was hoisted up (I'm sure I didn't do that) an onlooker gave me great praise (a whopper of a Spot) and some candy.

Been wanting to fish ever since.

So the love of the ocean & fishing may be instinctive but I think nurture vs. nature still applies and Dads have a big role to play in that regard. So have some great fun with that great son ... says a recently minted grand-Dad!

6 hours ago, KironaFly said:

My Dad took me fishing from a pier when I was 4 years old (or at least I remember it that way). He put a shrimp on a hook, tossed it off the pier and let me hold the rod. A big Spot took the bait and I did some reeling in.  After the fish was hoisted up (I'm sure I didn't do that) an onlooker gave me great praise (a whopper of a Spot) and some candy.

Been wanting to fish ever since.

So the love of the ocean & fishing may be instinctive but I think nurture vs. nature still applies and Dads have a big role to play in that regard. So have some great fun with that great son ... says a recently minted grand-Dad!

I sure do remember my dad taking me everywhere he went upstate, wild trout in little streams he stumbled through hunting in winter turned Into summer's adventures, the places and fishing we did is burned into my memory.  In so many ways that appreciation for fishing and the outdoors guided me through life and in alot of ways helped me through tough times.  I still think back to those old memories, I'm sure most of us do..... otherwise a basement full of tackle will end up on the bst in another 30 years :beers: