Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Guys, give me a recommendation on a good felling axe.

I am leaning towards Stihl, but finding sellers isn't easy.

Are you allergic to chainsaws, or just more of man than most of us?

Anything Swedish will be quality, but they are expensive, U.S.A. made ‘Council tool’ is decent for $75. Wood handles are easier to replace than plastic ones. Haven’t touched my chainsaw in years. I can trim down the odd > 18” firewood with these saws without any noise or fuel. Garage/ Estate sales sometimes have quality older U.S.A. made axes and saws for short money.

11484563-E727-4B55-9D28-7A636F3A13B7.jpeg

3 hours ago, gellfex said:

Are you allergic to chainsaws, or just more of man than most of us?

Both.:D

I don't have a chain saw and I am only going to be cutting down a few trees not more then 10in in diameter.

I just want something with a bit more weight and handle length then my Eastwing long handle camp axe.

I also need a new digging mattock. 

Nothing from Lowes or Depot is worth a damn. I used to have a good digging mattock for prying up roots, but it was stolen.

1 hour ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Both.:D

I don't have a chain saw and I am only going to be cutting down a few trees not more then 10in in diameter.

I just want something with a bit more weight and handle length then my Eastwing long handle camp axe.

My property is small and I have a 10" electric hand/pole chainsaw for pruning. But camping a good bow saw does most of the job, much easier than an axe unless you're skilled and ripped like one of those guys in the lumberjack contests. I'd only use a hatchet for trimming small limbs off a main trunk or branch.

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, gellfex said:

My property is small and I have a 10" electric hand/pole chainsaw for pruning. But camping a good bow saw does most of the job, much easier than an axe unless you're skilled and ripped like one of those guys in the lumberjack contests. I'd only use a hatchet for trimming small limbs off a main trunk or branch.

I am pretty handy with swinging tools. And, although I am no longer carrying my chiseled physique from my 20's :laugh:, I still pack the horse power...

...and aches and pains resulting from thinking I was indestructible back then.:( My back would probably prefer I just get a chain saw or even just use a bow saw, but an axe would be simpler, cheaper, and quicker for me.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

I think I will just go the route of Fiskars for both an axe and digging mattock.

Bending and mutilating those digging mattocks from Home Depot is getting old.

The Fiskars are supposed to be good and they are made in Finland which is close enough to Sweden.

28 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

I am pretty handy with swinging tools. And, although I am no longer carrying my chiseled physique from my 20's :laugh:, I still pack the horse power...

...and aches and pains resulting from thinking I was indestructible back then.:( My back would probably prefer I just get a chain saw or even just use a bow saw, but an axe would be simpler, cheaper, and quicker for me.

It's cheaper till you're paying the chiropractor!  Approaching 60, I am slowly coming to terms with what I can't, or should no longer try to, do.  What was a labor saving device in your 20s is a health saving device in your later years. And learning to stay off ladders as much as possible!

I am no fan of ladders.

I see plenty of people, on the regular, who have had their weekends ruined by ladder.

Power tools, specifically powered saws, too.

Posted (edited) · Report post

9 hours ago, gellfex said:

in the lumberjack contests.

Btw, those guys have razor sharp axes because they cut logs, not splitting them.

And even if they were, splitting, it would be ok to have razor sharp because of the uniform type of the logs.

Dry, splittable.

Edited by glos

I'd recommend the Fiskars Isocore Mattock and a Fiskars axe as well.

I have the Fiskars Mattock and it hasn't let me down in the past 5 years I've owned it.

I also have the Fiskars splitting axe and it splits on 1st strike. Not familiar with the non splitting axe offerings, but suspect they're just as good as the other products.

Pick up an older American made axe at a flea market or one of the auction sites.

Head weight around 4 lbs (give or take) should do the job.

Look for a handle that isn't split or loose and a blade that hasn't been ground short on the grinding wheel.

Try to find one for under $20 but don't pay more than $50.

I have a fiskars splitting axe for my firewood. My axe is a hand me down that was in my boy scout troop when they merged.  The head is probaby from the 70s-80s. Has a fairly big head and good weight. May find some good scores at a yard sale, Craigslist, Facebook market place.