chuckbucktail

Anyone in the Adirondacks?

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Hey all

Can anybody share what the vibe is like in the North Country? My wife and I will be there for a week starting this Thursday. Need to tie up some flies but it's lookin' pretty warm up there. Wondering if this is gonna end up being more of a bass game. Our place is down stream on the West Branch of the Ausable. About midway between Wilmington and The Forks. Our place is actually a stones throw from the river but I'm not counting on the temps being trout-y that far downstream. 

Anyways. Just wondering if anyone local and share a scene report. My wife is 32 weeks prego so won't be doing much day time fishing or long hike ins. Probably be a sneak out at sunrise and home for breakfast kinda deal. 

Best!

14 mins ago, chuckbucktail said:

Hey all

Can anybody share what the vibe is like in the North Country? My wife and I will be there for a week starting this Thursday. Need to tie up some flies but it's lookin' pretty warm up there. Wondering if this is gonna end up being more of a bass game. Our place is down stream on the West Branch of the Ausable. About midway between Wilmington and The Forks. Our place is actually a stones throw from the river but I'm not counting on the temps being trout-y that far downstream. 

Anyways. Just wondering if anyone local and share a scene report. My wife is 32 weeks prego so won't be doing much day time fishing or long hike ins. Probably be a sneak out at sunrise and home for breakfast kinda deal. 

Best!

No idea about fishing that river, but the lake LMB up there are a lot of fun all summer. 2 years ago we were casting poppers and spooks all day in shoreline snags and getting tons of action. We'd even get hit trolling those topwaters, as well as Rapalas.

All I can say is that if you do fish the Ausable, be careful.  Some of the most difficult, slippery stone bottom that I've ever encountered.  Make sure that you have the right wader soles to deal with it.

Yeah I learned that last year trying to wet wade the West Branch of A in chacos.

I since got some wading socks. And I always keep my boots sticky with ice racing studs.

Edited by chuckbucktail

The Adirondacks are a true mountain range as a result of uplifting and the rocks in the rivers are sharp and angular unlike the Catskills which were the result of glacial carving of a plateau. Catskill rivers have smooth river rocks and that's why wading is so much easier. The Adirondack rocks will crack your coconut for sure. Be careful, wear stream cleats and carry a wading staff. Trips to the ER are not recommended these days.