rockyoutdoors

My First NJ Rattlesnake Encounter........pic

Rate this topic

207 posts in this topic

Wow!

What a beauty!

Good on ya for helping him out of the road.

I can’t believe the roadkill I see around my area. How can someone run over a 25lb+ snapping turtle?!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, bridgerat said:

Wow!

What a beauty!

Good on ya for helping him out of the road.

I can’t believe the roadkill I see around my area. How can someone run over a 25lb+ snapping turtle?!

 

Whole lot easier with a cellphone in your face.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 mins ago, bridgerat said:

Wow!

What a beauty!

Good on ya for helping him out of the road.

I can’t believe the roadkill I see around my area. How can someone run over a 25lb+ snapping turtle?!

 

 

 

Slow down and don't lead them much .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 mins ago, flylikabird said:

What's the bite like from the black racer?

Some are aggressive and keep biting, draw blood, some just strike a few times and quit. This baby was a real savage, just couldn't draw blood. That was last years hatch.  The one in the trap wasn't very big, maybe one of last years hatch.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 mins ago, Brother Brian said:

 

 

Slow down and don't lead them much .

I had two dimes on the hare. Captain Shellback deserved it after that race. :dismay:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like snakes. 

 

Keep your distance from them and they'll never bother you.

 

Cottonmouth from this spring

 

20200328_153101.jpg.8bbcaeab2e04f73700473d1c940975f5.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

I like snakes. 

 

Keep your distance from them and they'll never bother you.

 

Cottonmouth from this spring

 

20200328_153101.jpg.8bbcaeab2e04f73700473d1c940975f5.jpg

 

 

Looks like a northern water snake. If you saw this guy north of Virginia, it's not a cottonmouth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, 2sammich said:

Looks like a northern water snake. If you saw this guy north of Virginia, it's not a cottonmouth.

Agree on Northern.  There are cotton mouths in MD and DE but that's about the limit on the coast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 2sammich said:

It's wikipedia but, they have a list of venomous snakebite fatalities in the us. It lists 2 fatalities in 2019, one rattlesnake, one copperhead. Better chance of dying from bee sting.

"Found" this one after I splattered him with the weed wacker cutting some tall grass along the driveway.   Everyone is freaked out about bears and snakes and I tell them thier chances of getting effed up from a tick are 1000x higher. 

 

Still, there's no way not to jump when you see a poisonous snake 3' from your feet.

20200620_154117.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, bridgerat said:

Wow!

What a beauty!

Good on ya for helping him out of the road.

I can’t believe the roadkill I see around my area. How can someone run over a 25lb+ snapping turtle?!

 

You can only hope that the ones who run them over on purpose lose control and ram a tree....Worked a private GC years ago and the members would piss and moan about the goose shyte all over the place but then think nothing about hammering a snapper with a 3 iron. No understanding of the food chain  :dismay: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 mins ago, Stryper Snyper said:

Agree on Northern.  There are cotton mouths in MD and DE but that's about the limit on the coast.

Disagree. Their own state info says they are not native in those states. 

 

Much like a milkshake is often confused with a copperhead, likewise northern water snakes get confused with cottonmouths. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 mins ago, richie c said:

You can only hope that the ones who run them over on purpose lose control and ram a tree....Worked a private GC years ago and the members would piss and moan about the goose shyte all over the place but then think nothing about hammering a snapper with a 3 iron. No understanding of the food chain  :dismay: 

It's terrible, but true. I believe there are a lot of folks who run over or otherwise kill reptiles for no reason, especially snakes. 

Pure ignorance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.