rockyoutdoors

My First NJ Rattlesnake Encounter........pic

Rate this topic

207 posts in this topic

Wow!

What a beauty!

Good on ya for helping him out of the road.

I can’t believe the roadkill I see around my area. How can someone run over a 25lb+ snapping turtle?!

1 min ago, bridgerat said:

Wow!

What a beauty!

I can’t believe the roadkill I see around my area. How can someone run over a 25lb+ snapping turtle?!

Whole lot easier with a cellphone in your face.

13 mins ago, bridgerat said:

Wow!

What a beauty!

Slow down and don't lead them much .

38 mins ago, flylikabird said:

What's the bite like from the black racer?

Some are aggressive and keep biting, draw blood, some just strike a few times and quit. This baby was a real savage, just couldn't draw blood. That was last years hatch.  The one in the trap wasn't very big, maybe one of last years hatch.

53 mins ago, Brother Brian said:

Slow down and don't lead them much .

I had two dimes on the hare. Captain Shellback deserved it after that race. :dismay:

I like snakes. 

Keep your distance from them and they'll never bother you.

Cottonmouth from this spring

20200328_153101.jpg.8bbcaeab2e04f73700473d1c940975f5.jpg

6 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

I like snakes. 

Keep your distance from them and they'll never bother you.

Cottonmouth from this spring

20200328_153101.jpg.8bbcaeab2e04f73700473d1c940975f5.jpg

Looks like a northern water snake. If you saw this guy north of Virginia, it's not a cottonmouth.

4 mins ago, 2sammich said:

Looks like a northern water snake. If you saw this guy north of Virginia, it's not a cottonmouth.

Agree on Northern.  There are cotton mouths in MD and DE but that's about the limit on the coast.

9 hours ago, 2sammich said:

It's wikipedia but, they have a list of venomous snakebite fatalities in the us. It lists 2 fatalities in 2019, one rattlesnake, one copperhead. Better chance of dying from bee sting.

"Found" this one after I splattered him with the weed wacker cutting some tall grass along the driveway.   Everyone is freaked out about bears and snakes and I tell them thier chances of getting effed up from a tick are 1000x higher. 

Still, there's no way not to jump when you see a poisonous snake 3' from your feet.

20200620_154117.jpg

9 hours ago, bridgerat said:

Wow!

What a beauty!

You can only hope that the ones who run them over on purpose lose control and ram a tree....Worked a private GC years ago and the members would piss and moan about the goose shyte all over the place but then think nothing about hammering a snapper with a 3 iron. No understanding of the food chain  :dismay: 

12 mins ago, Stryper Snyper said:

Agree on Northern.  There are cotton mouths in MD and DE but that's about the limit on the coast.

Disagree. Their own state info says they are not native in those states. 

Much like a milkshake is often confused with a copperhead, likewise northern water snakes get confused with cottonmouths. 

8 mins ago, richie c said:

You can only hope that the ones who run them over on purpose lose control and ram a tree....Worked a private GC years ago and the members would piss and moan about the goose shyte all over the place but then think nothing about hammering a snapper with a 3 iron. No understanding of the food chain  :dismay: 

It's terrible, but true. I believe there are a lot of folks who run over or otherwise kill reptiles for no reason, especially snakes. 

Pure ignorance.