coastalfreak

What vintage reel would fit the bill?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Hey all, as I have decided to take on reel maintenance and cleaning on the regular now, I've decided to buy an old reel that's tough, durable, yet simple. I do primarily bait fishing, so my targeted species would be anything from pinfish, whiting, and croaker up to trout and reds. Im mainly a shrimp on the bottom type of guy, so I could catch a lot of things. 

I havent picked out a rod yet but Im thinking a light or medium light rod. 

Here's the reels Ive been looking at

- Penn Z Series (714, 716, 720...)

- DAM reel. I have a Quick already, and i love it but Im looking for something a tad smaller

- Mitchell 300

Thanks in advance! 

DAM 110, Penn 716 and Mitchell 308 are all about the same size. They are intended for 6# test. The 220, 714 and Mitchell 300 are about the same size. They are 8# test spools. None of these reels really has spare parts available any more, the way to go is get a couple and make a Frankenreel.

All four of the small Penn Z’s have the same guts: 714, 716, 420SS and 430SS. The 720 and 722 are a different platform. I don’t know about the Quicks, as I haven’t handled a 220, but the Mitchell 300 and 308 are different internally. 

Edited by Sweetwater

I'd think about a Penn 712; that was what we used to use for striped bass, bluefish and weakfish with 8-pound mono.  Be careful not to overfill the spool, as the geometry of the reel means that the line will get in the "corner" between the roller and the bail and fray.

If you want to move up to the 710, which we used with 12-pound, be careful of the bail; they were a little oversized, and easily bent out of shape and wouldn't close, although it was easy to bend them back into shape.

If you seriously want a 720, try to find a 722 instead.  The 720 was the bargain version of the 722, and didn't hold up quite as well.

Define vintage ?

My Daiwa SS Tournament Whiska 2600 is nearly 30 years old and still going strong. Casts considerably further than anything mentioned so far, buttery smooth drag, braid friendly.

Plus they still make them ! Parts are no problem and they come in 4 sizes from ultralight to the 2600

Edited by Sudsy

Keep in mind, should you choose the Mitchell, that this reel's rotating head spins in the opposite direction when compared with the Penn (and most others) meaning index finger line pick-up may require getting used to

9 mins ago, Sudsy said:

Define vintage ?

My Daiwa SS Tournament Whiska 2600 is nearly 30 years old and still going strong. Casts considerably further than anything mentioned so far, buttery smooth drag, braid friendly.

Plus they still make them ! Parts are no problem and they come in 4 sizes from ultralight to the 2600

What’s nice about the Z reels to a that all the models are very similar.  So if you can maintain one you can maintain them all.  I was shipping caked at how far my 710 and 704 cast.  

As usual, Sudsy is right. I always forget the SS Whiskers, which a lot of guys fishing reels 3 and 4 times the price would have preferred had they just tried one first. 

Meanwhile, Coastalfreek, I just got some reels in and have abandoned my 714. When you resolve the ethics of fishing in favor of fishing, send me a pm and I’ll drop it in the mail. 

1 hour ago, Sweetwater said:

As usual, Sudsy is right. I always forget the SS Whiskers, which a lot of guys fishing reels 3 and 4 times the price would have preferred had they just tried one first. 

Meanwhile, Coastalfreek, I just got some reels in and have abandoned my 714. When you resolve the ethics of fishing in favor of fishing, send me a pm and I’ll drop it in the mail. 

Golly, thats really kind of you. I can't thank you enough. 

You do say thank you, unlike the kid from New York who gave radio silence after I sent him a reel. There is something to be said for manners.