LIsurf631

New to kayaking

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

13 mins ago, PLKM said:

Any 7’ inshore rod rated medium-heavy will get the job done. St Croix has several models you can choose from depending on your budget

Thank you. Can that be used for trolling as well?

16 mins ago, PLKM said:

Any 7’ inshore rod rated medium-heavy will get the job done. St Croix has several models you can choose from depending on your budget

I have a 7’3 lamiglas black med-H I guess that should work

1 hour ago, LIsurf631 said:

Thank you. Can that be used for trolling as well?

Yes but I generally use other rods when trolling. I have conventional set ups and those rods have a softer tip compared to the St Croix

2 hours ago, Poisson Idea said:

Make sure it's long enough to where you can clear the ends of the boat from where you're sitting if the fish runs around you, or the drift changes, etc.

I always laugh when I hear this advice about having a rod long enough to clear the ends of the kayak. I have never needed to do that in over 12 years of kayak fishing and have caught many large stripers. My question is why do you need to do that?? A 9” bluegill is able to spin a kayak around. 

10 mins ago, Flip n Dip said:

I always laugh when I hear this advice about having a rod long enough to clear the ends of the kayak. I have never needed to do that in over 12 years of kayak fishing and have caught many large stripers. My question is why do you need to do that?? A 9” bluegill is able to spin a kayak around. 

As just one example, I dropped a keeper fluke Friday because I was too lazy to bring it around to net on the side away from the drift sock. I've also had blues run directly under the boat. As you say the boat spins, but getting the rod around when that happens is easier, especially on a 14' boat that spins slower than an 11 or 12'.

@LIsurf631 Note there's a kayak specific forum to ask these questions.  A classic popular kayak blue/bass rod is the Ugly Stik Tiger Lite/Elite Medium. Just right action, toughness, butt length and price for kayak fishing. You don't need to be able to cast like a hero in a kayak, you paddle to where the fish are.  Kayak rods are also subject to a lot of high sticking  trying to get fish in net or lipper range, where the toughness matters. All my rods are 6.5 to 7'.

I find it happens often enough to be a practical consideration for rod length. Fishing vertically in deep water, even a big fish can decide to go directly to the wrong side of the kayak/boat without turning you. I'd rather switch sides than fight with the rod under the water on the wrong side. Salmon and other pelagics can be all over the map in no time. Maybe bluegills as well...

i don't use anything fancy for trolling/ live line. The HM ugly stick will get the job done. Thats after I almost had my rod ripped off the rod holder by a bass. The ugly stick also has hort butt so its better on yak imo. If I am planning to jig and troll with the same rod then I will use my Jigging world Nexus MH.  I use the dark matter Sloopster 7' MH for jigging because it has short butt, but more comfortable for use in kayak.