pogie_boy

Black Skimmers - why haven't I seen them before?

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Saw these four birds flying low in formation along South Cape yesterday afternoon.
Looked like something other-worldly 

The interwebs say thay aren't uncommon around here, but I don't recall ever seeing (or noticing) them...

black-skimmers-_ps_img_7351.jpg.5c1149f2d661b8217577f1bc6f0825f8.jpg

I HATE those things.

Caught a few of them over the years flying into my line and tangling up

1 min ago, KidDkivahh said:

I've seen them at night a few times never did much day fishing so cant say if common or not .

I "caught" one 2 years ago at night which I thought was odd.  As soon as my plug hit the water I felt it and thought it was a fish at first.  He/she was line wrapped around the wing.  

1 hour ago, pogie_boy said:

Saw these four birds flying low in formation along South Cape yesterday afternoon.

Cool looking birds. I don't remember seeing them on the south side.

I've closelined a few birds over the years either on the beaches or the canal when they fly into my line. Once in a while a bird will unexpectedly fly into my line, I think it's a big hit, then I look up and see the bird so I start cursing at it.

Last year I had one of the canal birds get tangled up in my braid during a morning blitz. I had to slowly & carefully reel it in so I didn't harm it. Once I got it near the rocks I put my shirt over it's head so it wouldn't bite me while I untangled it.

Strange. I saw my first one this morning on the south shore and wondered what it was. The beak is very prominent and at first I thought it had a fish in it's mouth.

Skimmers show up in the bay occasionally as well as the outer beaches of the cape. They search for food like all ocean birds do and they are fun to watch sometmes

Posted (edited) · Report post

I first saw one about 20 years ago in my parts.

I was like "holy **** man,that bird has no eyes,then saw another one closer and saw that their eyes are in the black part.

they were not here before 20 or so years ago..

I remember when cormorants were far in between.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

4 hours ago, pogie_boy said:

The interwebs say thay aren't uncommon around here, but I don't recall ever seeing (or noticing) them...

Those are nice looking birds. I’ve never seen one. 

4 hours ago, pogie_boy said:

Nice pic.  :th:

I would call them uncommon on the Cape, not a sea bird you see very often. I think the only time I ever saw them was wading way out on a flat in CCB someplace.