pogie_boy

South Cape Mung

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Mung has been killing a lot of my spots lately. Every cast I get that maroon weed on my bucktail or sp minnow.  My question is, is there a way of predicting whether there will be mung on my spot, like certain wind patterns that lead to it, etc.

My other question is how long does it typically stay in a single area, is it a daily thing, weekly thing or all season long thing. It's been a menace at my spots for the past week and a half.

Thanks

Posted (edited) · Report post

15 hours ago, joe0306 said:

My question is, is there a way of predicting whether there will be mung on my spot, like certain wind patterns that lead to it, etc.

My other question is how long does it typically stay in a single area, is it a daily thing, weekly thing or all season long thing. It's been a menace at my spots for the past week and a half.

If the winds blowing out, especially over 10mph, during an outgoing tide, you can count on mung being thick in the water. If a stronger wind is blowing in, during an incoming tide, it usually keeps the mung close the water's edge, in the wash.

If the wind is very light, in most directions, the mung usually stays down.

If there's been a big storm, nor'easter, etc sitting off the coast, churning up the water & seaweeds, you can count on the water being messy.

I've seen the water go from clean to unfishable in just a few hours when the wind changed to outgoing, coinciding with an outgoing tide.

I've shown up at a beach, early in an incoming, with a lot of mung, but a strong wind blowing into the beach, along with an incoming tide, cleaned up the mung in about a hour or so. You have to be patient in this situation, casting poppers, until the mung goes down enough that you can cast sub surface lures.

Logging your outings, and keeping track of wind strength, direction and tide direction, will help you figure out the patterns at the beaches you fish.

Edited by zak-striper