pogie_boy

South Cape Mung

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Fished south cape beach last night.    Mung made fishing difficult but not impossible.    Further north there is very little of it, but not many more fish.

managed just a couple small blue fish.  The only thing they would hit that I had were hurleys, one of which got shortened on the first cast.   I think they're on the tiny bait you can see skipping along the surface.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

23 hours ago, pogie_boy said:

Mung made fishing difficult but not impossible

 

22 hours ago, bob_G said:

Mung...nightmares of that stuff

Here's a screengrab from a video I took while fishing in the mung at SCB. My yellow popper was swallowed by mung. Earlier in this outing I lost a lure when I stopped a retrieve for a wind knot or line tangle. When I reeled in the line, the lure and 30' or so of line had become completely engulfed in mung. It would have taken me two hours to get it all off so I cut the line, letting the lure drift away in its new mung cocoon.  :)

 

mung.jpg.dc81a6ebef56b689c6e8b8c582a429e4.jpg

 

Every once in a while some baitfishermen will be down there but they either don't know about the mung or don't know when it's at its worse. They cast out a bait & sinker rig then 10 minutes later reel in about 100lbs of mung that has devoured their line. 

 

I've mostly figured out the mung pattern on the south side. If you plan on fishing there, you have to keep an eye on the winds and tides. It's amazing how quickly it can change out there. Earlier this year I fished a sunrise incoming tide. There was a SW wind for a couple of days so there was little to no mung, just a little in the wash. However, during the end of the incoming, the wind shifted to blowing out of the N, NW. I left to fish somewhere else but returned for the afternoon incoming tide. Within one tide, about 6 hours, because of the wind blowing out in conjuncture with an outgoing tide, the beach became unfishable. The water was dirty with mung for as far as I could cast. Even poppers couldn't be used because they'd become fowled within the 1st 10' - 20' of a retrieve.

Edited by zak-striper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fished SCB this past Monday, lots of weeds in the water. I was fishing with mackerel and looking for blue fish, so i started off bombing the bait as far as I could, reeling in tons of mung when I would check my bait. I was going to give up, but decided to cast not even 20 yards into the water. This cut down on the mung I was catching by about 90-95%, and I got a ton of hits for a period of about 30 minutes. I guess the fish were close in and also not too big because I couldnt hook one. I was using a 5/0 J hook and fishing at about noon on an overcast day. Once the sun came out me and my friend went home because it was too hot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is making it very difficult to fish in some of my spots in the north shore.  Almost impossible to use a bucktail because every time it comes up with some weeds on it. Real shame too because I know the fish are there as I usually get hits and catches when there is no weed on the lure.

 

I don't use at the moment but always wish I have some for when the water has a ton of weeds, as the weeds don't deter the fish from swallowing a fresh chunk of mackerel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

I fished SCB this past Monday, lots of weeds in the water. I was fishing with mackerel and looking for blue fish, so i started off bombing the bait as far as I could, reeling in tons of mung when I would check my bait. I was going to give up, but decided to cast not even 20 yards into the water. This cut down on the mung I was catching by about 90-95%, and I got a ton of hits for a period of about 30 minutes. I guess the fish were close in and also not too big because I couldnt hook one. I was using a 5/0 J hook and fishing at about noon on an overcast day. Once the sun came out me and my friend went home because it was too hot.

most likely scup. saw a guy fill a cooler there a couple weeks ago

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 mins ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

most likely scup. saw a guy fill a cooler there a couple weeks ago

I think at least some were blues, judging by what the bait looked like after a hit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a nice bout of the red stuff this morning in the Plymouth area. Needless to say the outing didn't last too long. Any reports out of Buzzards Bay?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For once NJ beaches have something over Cape Cod, we have no mung. Its as nasty and aggravating as life can get, Trying to find holes in the masses of monkey snot gets old quickly. For those that have never had the pleasure, if you hear mung, go the other way, no run the other way.

 

In Jersey we get some lettuce or grass occasionally, sea nettles and jellyfish but nothing like mung. I first experienced it in 1983, Outer Cape Beach in North Truro, mid September, night 11pm, needlefish. Cast it out, came back with wet nasty seaweed that hung like glue on the line for many yards, takes awhile to get it off. Never saw anything like it, walked a hundred yards down, again. Enough of this,near an hour with 2 casts. Head south, 20 minutes, same thing. Next day I stopped in to Goose Hummock, they splained' to me MUNG. Comes and goes and nobody knows why. That and seals and few fish make golf a great game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only time I ever have a bad day fishing is to show up early at your spot and be greeted with mung. There’s nothing you can do but leave. I hate that stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2020 at 1:20 PM, pogie_boy said:

Fished south cape beach last night.    Mung made fishing difficult but not impossible.    Further north there is very little of it, but not many more fish.

managed just a couple small blue fish.  The only thing they would hit that I had were hurleys, one of which got shortened on the first cast.   I think they're on the tiny bait you can see skipping along the surface.    

Not the cure but they help

P1280405-600x311.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love the mung. Cuts down on others fishen.

I found that fishen long13-14ft. cane poles will hold your line over the mung that's against the beach.

Bait on the bottom with tall poles will keep you fishen while others give up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.