DZ

C&R release from boats

Rate this topic

57 posts in this topic

I assume that catch photo and release dead is the reason why Florida doesn’t allow you to remove big Tarpon from the water. Maybe they should make a similar rule for stripers that are over the slot length. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 mins ago, z-man said:

I assume that catch photo and release dead is the reason why Florida doesn’t allow you to remove big Tarpon from the water. Maybe they should make a similar rule for stripers that are over the slot length. 

Good point!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2020 at 3:55 PM, MakoMike said:

Yes it is Dingus, go check the regs. Circle hooks are mandatory when fishing natural bait.

My apologies to Dingus, he was right. The circle hook requirement doesn't take effect in RI until 2021.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 mins ago, MakoMike said:

My apologies to Dingus, he was right. The circle hook requirement doesn't take effect in RI until 2021.

2021 ? ..... How many more needless deaths have to happen for a one year period.

Stripers lives matter now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a very important conversation just 5 yrs too late. All the head boat captains will be painting houses just like they were 20 yrs ago. It's very sad ,but the truth can't be denied, the bass population has crashed and now it's just a matter of time till the idiots who manage this resource realize it.  Nothing will change till the lights get turned out.  I sure hope I'm dead  wrong,but I've seen this rodeo before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, DZ said:

Canal - thanks for the candid view on what you see happening out there.  Which leads me my initial general question as to whether it’s ethical/moral to even target and pound C&R large bass in an area where the odds of taking a slot fish is so remote.  

You could make that same argument for pounding on schoolies when they’re thick, since they’re not in the slot. There’s still the sportsmanship aspect of it and honestly if you handle the fish properly you really shouldn’t have any issues, with a proper circle hook I’ve never gut hooked a fish yet. The key to me was to use 2 size up circle hook vs what you would use on a j hook. For most people even with boats, stripers are the trophy fish to get, because they don’t have the boat size or gear to target Pelargics. I love catching stripers and catch a couple hundred a year, but even prior to slot we would only keep 1-2 a year. Mainly because I would rather eat fluke, sea bass and cod,  but stripers are better sport fish than all of them so there’s no way I would stop targeting them.

 

i know you guys used to try and get a fluke boat outing going once a year, we should do a striper one, if people are willing to do it with Covid. I’ll volunteer my boat for a block island fishing night, it’s only a 25 foot center console so I could only realistically take 3 guys. Next year when I upgrade I’d be able to take more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John P said:

This is a very important conversation just 5 yrs too late. All the head boat captains will be painting houses just like they were 20 yrs ago. It's very sad ,but the truth can't be denied, the bass population has crashed and now it's just a matter of time till the idiots who manage this resource realize it.  Nothing will change till the lights get turned out.  I sure hope I'm dead  wrong,but I've seen this rodeo before.

I don’t think we’re in that bad of shape compared to the original crash, there’s so many smaller sized fish around. If those could just be protected and let them breed 5-6 years before they could get targeted, I think you’d see a turn around a lot faster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2020 at 11:53 AM, DZ said:

Should deep water fishing be avoided

deep is a variable, but also is the speed with which the fish was brought to the surface. Acknowledging 50-60 feet does not really apply, swim bladders need time to adjust because they expand as depth decreases when brought to the surface. This expansion moves internal organs and in extreme cases can force guts out the mouth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 mins ago, Shhh....Now said:

deep is a variable, but also is the speed with which the fish was brought to the surface. Acknowledging 50-60 feet does not really apply, swim bladders need time to adjust because they expand as depth decreases when brought to the surface. This expansion moves internal organs and in extreme cases can force guts out the mouth. 

I know of no fish that can't adjust its swim bladder fast enough when pulled to the surface from 50 or 60 feet. Even BSB have no problem adjusting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, MakoMike said:

I know of no fish that can't adjust its swim bladder fast enough when pulled to the surface from 50 or 60 feet.

yeah..... that's why I said........Acknowledging 50-60 feet does not really apply,....shhheeeeesh.. Read much?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, canalsharpie said:

I don’t think we’re in that bad of shape compared to the original crash, there’s so many smaller sized fish around. If those could just be protected and let them breed 5-6 years before they could get targeted, I think you’d see a turn around a lot faster.

Totally agree with you. I've been bass fishing REGULARLY since 1971, was/been at all the mtgs since the 1970's; there are more small fish around now (Bay, Coast, SNE) then I've seen in a LONG time; long time regulars will tell you the same thing; just let mother nature AND proper biomass management do its thing...….

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.