DZ

C&R release from boats

Rate this topic

57 posts in this topic

I guess there has been a pretty good bite recently for the boat crowd in deeper water areas.  Some of the community are lamenting the amount of released “floaters” being seen over the slot size an complaining the upper limit should be higher.  What is the ethical/moral thing to do?  Should deep water fishing be avoided if much of the catch is oversized?  Should they not fish certain areas like offshore deep water over 40-50 feet or so?  A good captain can probably figure out how to target slot fish.  Any ideas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sure it takes longer with a large from that deep but they should take the time and precaution to be able to revive them or DO NOT fish for them.  Still killing the resource even if not keeping them, defeats the purpose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not a boat guy so I hesitate to recommend tactics.  But from a surfcasting perspective over my many years there were often places and conditions where we purposely would not actively fish because of the poor potential outcome of a live release.  Even though the potential was there to hook and land large fish.  To us it wasn’t worth a potential  kill.  
I’m hearing some boat captains are experimenting with venting air bladders of deep water caught bass with needles.  Has to be all sorts of risk with this method by doing it incorrectly.    But eventually it comes down to why even target them in the first place.  

Edited by DZ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had a storms that i have stopped fishing productive spots because the release was impossible, but i think surf-casters have a different point of view.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's one thing to release a deepwater bass and be surprised when she goes belly up. It's another if you know that's the deal, and yet you still send 5 - 10 meat logs overboard to float off and die in an afternoon of fishing.

 

Honestly, that has to be the bottom rung on the striped bass ladder. Just a complete waste of a resource, turning spawners into gullsh¡t or crabmeat, so you can get your tug on and grab a few insta snaps at the boat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rst3 said:

It's one thing to release a deepwater bass and be surprised when she goes belly up. It's another if you know that's the deal, and yet you still send 5 - 10 meat logs overboard to float off and die in an afternoon of fishing.

 

Honestly, that has to be the bottom rung on the striped bass ladder. Just a complete waste of a resource, turning spawners into gullsh¡t or crabmeat, so you can get your tug on and grab a few insta snaps at the boat. 

Very sad indeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DZ said:

But eventually it comes down to why even target them in the first place.  

That's the easiest part of this to understand: $$$$

 

Are these folks snagging and dropping bunker with weighted trebles? Gut hooking the fish with giant j-hooks? Keeping them on deck for 5 minutes to photograph and weigh them? Quickly releasing them - and as noted above reviving them - and not gut hooking them - they should be able to get back to the bottom on their own. Is the water abnormally warm?  I never would have guessed they would just die being caught in 40-50 ft of water...

 

TimS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you can zip over to a reef with GPS coordinates and locate fish with a high definition fish finder at the exact depth they are, at least bother to revive the fish. If you are putting yourself in the position to catch big fish you should be ready to properly handle said fish, boat or surf. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DZ said:

I’m not a boat guy so I hesitate to recommend tactics.  But from a surfcasting perspective over my many years there were often places and conditions where we purposely would not actively fish because of the poor potential outcome of a live release.  Even though the potential was there to hook and land large fish.  To us it wasn’t worth a potential  kill.  
I’m hearing some boat captains are experimenting with venting air bladders of deep water caught bass with needles.  Has to be all sorts of risk with this method by doing it incorrectly.    But eventually it comes down to why even target them in the first place.  

Yes, especially with current limits. If you are going specifically for large fish right now you really need to fish responsibly. It is given that: if you are following the law and catch a big fish, you will release it alive. This means you probably should not be doing things like snagging and dropping bunker with a weighted treble.... or other methods with a high chance of a gut/gill hooking, using undergunned tackle, fishing in exceedingly warm water, etc. I hate to bring saltwater fly fishing into this but we really don't need people fighting big bass until they are exhausted for C&R.

 

It doesn't matter if its a stocked trout or a sea robin... you should reevaluate what you are doing if your methods result in a "floater" when you go out fishing with no intention of keeping what you catch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coming from a mate on two well known SoCo private charters; I've heard the revive is irrelevant to ones marginal profits being made on these trips now.  These fish are remaining on deck for long duration's of time as mates and cpt's sort out gear to re-rig ect... photos... and pure ignorance to the sole regard to the sensitivity of these larger classed fish.  One simple put "these fish are being held out of water for 5-10 mins minimum while I get lines back and the boat situated, since 90% of my time is now dedicated to such a selective margin of fish within slot I cant take the hit to my wallet by spending 10-15 minutes with a 40+' boat in gear and 2 deck mates over the gunnels reviving fish on my dime. Once picture time is up they get tossed overboard, weather or not they live is not my problem."  True words of those marginal simple minded folk that reside local to all of us.  Give in mind if we all felt and acted in such a manor the entirety of imposing a slot is now become counter productive towards the conservation efforts being acknowledged to the species...All I can say is do right by nature and not only to a nature resource but to other sportsmen, future generations, and most importantly to the overall future of the striped bass fishery. 

 

Cheers guys.

 

---Chris C.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SouthCoastSurfFishermen said:

Coming from a mate on two well known SoCo private charters; I've heard the revive is irrelevant to ones marginal profits being made on these trips now.  These fish are remaining on deck for long duration's of time as mates and cpt's sort out gear to re-rig ect... photos... and pure ignorance to the sole regard to the sensitivity of these larger classed fish.  One simple put "these fish are being held out of water for 5-10 mins minimum while I get lines back and the boat situated, since 90% of my time is now dedicated to such a selective margin of fish within slot I cant take the hit to my wallet by spending 10-15 minutes with a 40+' boat in gear and 2 deck mates over the gunnels reviving fish on my dime. Once picture time is up they get tossed overboard, weather or not they live is not my problem."  True words of those marginal simple minded folk that reside local to all of us.  Give in mind if we all felt and acted in such a manor the entirety of imposing a slot is now become counter productive towards the conservation efforts being acknowledged to the species...All I can say is do right by nature and not only to a nature resource but to other sportsmen, future generations, and most importantly to the overall future of the striped bass fishery. 

 

Cheers guys.

 

---Chris C.

 

"cant take a hit to my wallet spending 10-15 minutes..." the hit to the charter guys' wallets will be MUCH greater once there are no more bass to fish for. its attitudes like that that will kill the fishery. i understand that it is difficult and there are times that reviving is not a possibility, but come on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SouthCoastSurfFishermen said:

Coming from a mate on two well known SoCo private charters; I've heard the revive is irrelevant to ones marginal profits being made on these trips now.  These fish are remaining on deck for long duration's of time as mates and cpt's sort out gear to re-rig ect... photos... and pure ignorance to the sole regard to the sensitivity of these larger classed fish.  One simple put "these fish are being held out of water for 5-10 mins minimum while I get lines back and the boat situated, since 90% of my time is now dedicated to such a selective margin of fish within slot I cant take the hit to my wallet by spending 10-15 minutes with a 40+' boat in gear and 2 deck mates over the gunnels reviving fish on my dime. Once picture time is up they get tossed overboard, weather or not they live is not my problem."  True words of those marginal simple minded folk that reside local to all of us.  Give in mind if we all felt and acted in such a manor the entirety of imposing a slot is now become counter productive towards the conservation efforts being acknowledged to the species...All I can say is do right by nature and not only to a nature resource but to other sportsmen, future generations, and most importantly to the overall future of the striped bass fishery. 

 

Cheers guys.

 

---Chris C.

 

That's why the slot limit enacted by ASMFC was the WORST decision by ASMFC, at the prodding of the Rec community, ever put forth....it should have been 1 at 36"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, trwhite said:

 This means you probably should not be doing things like snagging and dropping bunker with a weighted treble.... or other methods with a high chance of a gut/gill hooking,

Fishing bait (like bunker) on a treble hook is now illegal. Using circle hooks will generally avoid  any gut hooking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Fishing bait (like bunker) on a treble hook is now illegal. Using circle hooks will generally avoid  any gut hooking.

True, but is that stopping them from doing it? Using circles with eels in the deep water too? I can't speak to their use up in NE yet, but here on the Chesapeake, we have moved over to circles for bait since 18, and compliance is still meager. Hard to enforce and people don't really believe in circles yet. In general, bait has a higher mortality versus artificial, regardless of type of hook though. I hope people start taking that into account, since the slot limit is put there to protect the large fish. Defeats the purpose if they go out and deep hook big fish after big fish. Some responsibility rests on the angler to think about what they're doing. 

Taking time to revive the fish sounds like it could be a problem too. They have no chance if they're thrown overboard after sitting on the deck for 5 min. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.