Suave

Mikkelson's Red&Black (Epoxy) Baitfish

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Wow, if you guys are going to "downsize" on this Mikkelson's pattern, you need to cut off an inch. Glen's pattern is, at most, 2", looking at my ruler, for this red/black fly, which is very effective at night. You could tie it over 2" in a chart/white fly with maybe a white feather in back and it would be a great epoxy baitfish fly but, not, Glen's eopxy minnow. Larger will def. catch, BTW but we're discussing black/red Mikkleson's epoxy baitfish.

Looking again at my ruler, Glen ties his albie flies  NO LONGER than 1.5" and, for new fall season albie flies?, maybe 1-1/4" in white or yellow.

Hooks are much smaller than mentioned above. Size 4 won't be too large. 

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I was looking over flies available from Bear's Den, and there are some ties that are very much like Glen's, down to the ribbing, but with a different name and a different tier - someone whom I take to also be a pro.  Funny world.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Glen doesn’t get enough credit for his early work with materials like epoxy.  He created some beautiful flies using epoxy and others in the industry don’t bring his name up too often.

Edited by Orca

The first time I came across  a Mikkelson fly was three or four years ago when, after reading CaryGreene's "ultimate" thread on this fly on this Forum, I decided to try my hand at Crease flies! So as I always do when tying a new pattern, more so an unusual one, I searched the internet looking at videos but also looking at various Crease flies as offered by fly shops. And I came across the "Peanut Crease Fly " ...tied by Mikkelson and printed the page to put in my fly tying binders. So here's a picture of that page (with my handwritten notes) and in the text20200705_131000.jpg.a1d2860e922805b6b07c400cf53b410f.jpgunder the fly you will read: "Glenn Mikkleson ties some of the best Crease Flies we have seen..." A bit of marketing hype of course but it is a beautiful Crease Fly.

On 7/5/2020 at 0:43 PM, Orca said:

Glen doesn’t get enough credit for his early work with materials like epoxy.  He created some beautiful flies using epoxy and others in the industry don’t bring his name up too often.

On 7/5/2020 at 1:31 PM, Suave said:

The first time I came across  a Mikkelson fly was three or four years ago when, after reading CaryGreene's "ultimate" thread on this fly on this Forum, I decided to try my hand at Crease flies! So as I always do when tying a new pattern, more so an unusual one, I searched the internet looking at videos but also looking at various Crease flies as offered by fly shops. And I came across the "Peanut Crease Fly " ...tied by Mikkelson and printed the page to put in my fly tying binders. So here's a picture of that page (with my handwritten notes) and in the text20200705_131000.jpg.a1d2860e922805b6b07c400cf53b410f.jpgunder the fly you will read: "Glenn Mikkleson ties some of the best Crease Flies we have seen..." A bit of marketing hype of course but it is a beautiful Crease Fly.

SurfCandySuper.jpg.1667b0d7d81173dc53297dadcb07237d.jpg

The Mikkelson Epoxy Minnow or Surf Candy is a Killer Fly pattern that catches all manner of fish large & small. It cast as well or better than most any other fly ... and just plan works.

5f038ea52c7ce_MikkelsonStriper.jpeg.50496aae30c0b195d99ee150f0a06b3e.jpeg

3BCE36B2-240D-4BAF-971E-84ED40EEE5D0_4_5005_c.jpeg.a16affd88734c2ef7c3b401e97ef4df9.jpeg

Apropos of all things Mikkelson, there's another website, nor east dot com, which has a recipe for another of his ties - the Skeeter. 1.5" to 2" long and meant specifically for little tunny.

3 hours ago, Orca said:

I thought this thread was about the skeeter !

3 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Ahhhhh .... no.

I looked at the sbs of Mikkelson's Skeeter pattern on the no rest website and looked again at the sbs of the Mikkelson's Epoxy baitfish on the Saltyflyrodders website and there are two slight differences  (besides different hooks being used and the first sbs mentioning that you should end up with a Skeeter of 1.5" to no more than 2" long): in tying the Skeeter, 1) there are two ribbing of Flashabou, one around the body and a second one around the body and wing and 2) before wrapping the body, there is a building up of the belly of the fly by putting a few layers of braid under the shank to achieve a more rounded belly. And if you look at the pictures accompanying the two sbs as well as the picture of the Red&Black Epoxy Baitfish posted on the Renzetti thread, that rounded belly on the Skeeter is evident. Not so with the two ribbings instead of one.

What we don't know is if Mikkelson tied the two patterns differently as the postings of the two sbs seem to originate with other fly tyers.

And in the Fly Archives on the Saltwaterflies website, there is a picture of  three  lovely Skeeter flies tied by Mikkelson (the last one definitely having that rounded belly).

I will definitely tie some Skeeters once I have the proper hooks. I think a 2xs saltwater hook in #4 would do to get a well proportioned 1.5"-2" long fly. I tried with a #1 Mustad C68SNP (2xs-2xh) but didn't like the look.  

This is a standard in my box along with a red/blk Deceiver. During the late afternoon this has been the fly in the wash to have as you carry over to dusk then dark. Glenn was an influence on my tying and having fun.

inCollage_20200718_211332312.jpg

Edited by saltyh2ofly

On 2020-07-07 at 2:03 PM, Suave said:

I looked at the sbs of Mikkelson's Skeeter pattern on the no rest website and looked again at the sbs of the Mikkelson's Epoxy baitfish on the Saltyflyrodders website and there are two slight differences  (besides different hooks being used and the first sbs mentioning that you should end up with a Skeeter of 1.5" to no more than 2" long): in tying the Skeeter, 1) there are two ribbing of Flashabou, one around the body and a second one around the body and wing and 2) before wrapping the body, there is a building up of the belly of the fly by putting a few layers of braid under the shank to achieve a more rounded belly. And if you look at the pictures accompanying the two sbs as well as the picture of the Red&Black Epoxy Baitfish posted on the Renzetti thread, that rounded belly on the Skeeter is evident. Not so with the two ribbings instead of one.

What we don't know is if Mikkelson tied the two patterns differently as the postings of the two sbs seem to originate with other fly tyers.

And in the Fly Archives on the Saltwaterflies website, there is a picture of  three  lovely Skeeter flies tied by Mikkelson (the last one definitely having that rounded belly).

I will definitely tie some Skeeters once I have the proper hooks. I think a 2xs saltwater hook in #4 would do to get a well proportioned 1.5"-2" long fly. I tried with a #1 Mustad C68SNP (2xs-2xh) but didn't like the look.  

Well I must have read the Skeeter's sbs absent-mindedly because there are more differences than I thought with the sbs for the Epoxy Baitfish. The big one I missed (???) is that there is no tail in the Skeeter: 1) two  Flashabou lenghts are tied at the rear, 2) the braid body is put in and over wrapped (and not ribbed) with Flashabou and 3) the wing ( in this case white under brown bucktail) and wing flash (between the white and brown BT) are tied in at the head and cinched to the top of the body by ribbing them with the second Flashabou lenght. The rest is as for the Epoxy Baitfish.

Glen definitely likes ribbing. I must look again at "Innovative Saltwater Flies" and see if his other baitfish ties also feature ribbing, of flashabou or otherwise.

An assortment of "Softex" Baitfish à la Mikkleson's Epoxy Baitfish in color schemes mentioned on SOL, Noreast, Saltyflyrodders etc. as being good for stripers. On Mustad S70S #1 hooks (a 2x strong hook, a tad shorter than the 34007). From 2" to 3" long. I tried to build up the belly as called for in the Skeeter. And I didn't use nail polish for the head as I did for the Red&Black (my wife had the right shade for that one!) but colored the heads with indelible markers.20200723_111403.jpg.21c698ff32d7734dabb304e7a0b8f912.jpg