Suave

Mikkelson's Red&Black (Epoxy) Baitfish

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

I discovered this pattern through posts by BrianBM and HillTop on the current "Underwhelmed by Renzetti" on this Forum. Liked it and as I had no saltwater fly with that red and black combination decided to put a few in my boxes tied following the dressing posted by HillTop but with two slight variations: I have no red body braid so used Uni Flat Braid in red-pearl and coatings of Softex instead of epoxy. And I also tied a Clouser type fly based on this pattern. Both about 3" long on #1 Mustad hookS, the original on the C70S  and the Clouser on the S71.20200630_104308.jpg.c12b4cb91401cd165d77a56e511dd52c.jpg20200630_104633.jpg.3d40af9e07b4645050efe819d706d681.jpg 

Suave,

That pattern of Glen’s you’ve tied has worked well for me on the nightshift on moonless nights.

Though I did catch a beautiful 32 in with it on a full moon night and that striper was beautiful in all her lavender glory.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Sweet !   Have to tie some up this week.   Will post for comments.

Strange, never seen much of anything for a pattern with red & black colors other Glen's fly I found this week.   

HT

Edited by HillTop

Glen is a great fly tyer and has some interesting patterns. My wife's friend employed his wife and I got to meet him in person. He gave me a  couple of his flies. FishHawk

Glen's fly pattern is not as long as what's pictured. It's tied, total length, 1.5"-2" max. I've found most success at 1.5". It's really a very small epoxy fly but it does work, especially at night! And, tie it for albies in yellow or white, small @ 1.5" for the fall. 

Albies are on my mind.

In Innovative Saltwater Flies, Glen notes that he ties it on 1/0 down to #8 hooks.

Orca, those are very nice.

Posted (edited) · Report post

17 hours ago, flysully said:

Glen's fly pattern is not as long as what's pictured. It's tied, total length, 1.5"-2" max. I've found most success at 1.5". It's really a very small epoxy fly but it does work, especially at night! And, tie it for albies in yellow or white, small @ 1.5" for the fall. 

I think the picture accompanying Mikkelson's description of the Red&Black Epoxy Baitfish that I referred to in my opening post  confirms what you state. The hook used is a G. S11-3H which is a shorter hook than a standard saltwater hook and in a size 2 or 4 as he recommends would be less than one inch long. And the wing of the fly in the picture is less than twice the lenght of the hook so that fly should be about 1.5" long.

And in his comments Mikkelson says he uses that fly when there are hordes of sandeels. So if he was trying to match the size (not the color!) of those sandeels, they must have been Young of the Year which, according to litterature, are 1.5" to 1.75" long.

Indeed the first time I looked at the picture before even reading Mikkelson's comments, in my mind it was a sandeel pattern more so as, except for the colors, it resembles closely the sandeel fly I've been tying for the past five years and that I've posted a few times on other threads. So once again20190321_150140.jpg.9337f03e09860965566eb156f2136d0b.jpgAnd that pattern (on a M.34007 #1 hook, about 2.75" long) was based on Capt. Bill Murphy's E-Z Sand Eel pattern but as I had no E-Z Body tubing, I replaced it with coatings of Softex and to avoid the wing and  flash moving when dunking the head and body in the Softex, I cinched both the  lateral flash and the wing using mono thread in each case (and not Flashabou as in Mikkelson's pattern). So the two flies are of similar construction if not material (mine is mainly Craft Fur).

Edited by Suave
Omission

A very pretty tie, and a nice demonstration of convergent evolution - in flies. Use of peacock herl makes for a more sandeel-ish color spectrum than Mikkelson's design.

Thank you. And a very effective fly where I fish for stripers (mostly Baie-des-Chaleurs) as the schools of sand eel I've observed are small, about three inches long.

LIke this pattern seeing the ribbing helps keep the body girth consistent.    My first attempts.

All tied on a #2 hook, 2" to 3" in length.  Hot pink is my very first and the lavender is the last tied.   Slight progress in proportions.

HT

km3a.png.97db3dfe5ac58034a51073295b8720ab.png

km5a.png.07a89022ce002e8bdff6b8c474398c5d.png

km6a.png.dfc0b32df825ed14196759ab4abc408f.png

km7a.png.2cc9727f3ee3906c7d28718914347180.png

KM1a.png.bbb99cb658f0a38d40ac92ded640fe73.png

km2a.png.bc4a7ff8e5cb664598effdf34cfbd19d.png

KM8a.png.434b7592e910eb05b07b1b68dc6495d4.png

Edited by HillTop

You've been busy, but my results aren't as photogenic as yours, so they'll stay hidden for the time being ... all of mine are buff over lavender over white, same as the previously posted recipe.

Having tied a couple of dozen, I like the look of the lavender color. It'll be nicely understated in the water. The icky ones will be fluke teasers, the nice ones go in the fly box, in case someone wants to see.  ;)

I haven't played with epoxy in a dog's age, and an old dog at that. I will post an epoxy question separately. I've been tying mostly on #4 hooks, smaller than my usual ... there's a learning curv here, there definitely is. Tying them down to #8, as Glen mentions, will drive me crazy.  But what the heck?

Mine are longer than HillTops' flies, even with  the smaller hook. Got to downsize a bit.