cashews121

RAV4 Glovebox

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

So it’s a 2013 RAV4,,the glove box release has been giving me issues the last week,,and I just tried to open it a little while ago,and now it will not open at all.. any idea how I get this bastard open without breaking something?

Its funny cause while the truck was still under warranty,I had a problem with the glove box..the dealer had my truck for over a week before it got fixed. Anyway,,any mechanics  here have any ideas?

Damper seized up? Not sure how you'll be able to open it if that's the case.

Don't worry, if you break it new ones are only around $350  :eek:

Crazy question but do have a glove box full of crap. Sorry I see it everyday, people live out of then I think. Anyways it is possible you could a napkin stuck in the latch. Try pulling the release handle and pushing in on the box. Then lightly pull on it. 

2 hours ago, Mark L said:

Crazy question but do have a glove box full of crap. Sorry I see it everyday, people live out of then I think. Anyways it is possible you could a napkin stuck in the latch. Try pulling the release handle and pushing in on the box. Then lightly pull on it. 

actually..did some searching on web,seems that the glove box is an issue on these..Toyota cutting corners.figures

Yes, Toyota went cheaper on their Rav4. Be very careful because the glovebox parts are weak and can break easy. :eek:

When you are using the release does if feel normal or no resistance? Try holding the release and wiggle the door up and down. I have had the same problem before. I found that if I push in on the glovebox cover, below the handle the latch then works.

Most often, a jammed glove box can be opened by gently tapping the latch mechanism while carefully pulling on the glove box door itself. The emphasis here is on gentle, careful attempts performed with patience, not brute force. Go back and forth between tapping the latch and pulling on the door until it opens.

The glove compartment is held together on the sides that you can pinch to release and drop. There is also another black piece on the right side that provides it the "slow-motion" opening. It is all pinch and release and likely, one of these three things is a little off. You might try releasing everything as if you're going to change the cabin filter and then adjust it all back and try to close it. Then open and close it a few times. Hope that helps.

18 hours ago, Bluefishmaster said:

Yes, Toyota went cheaper on their Rav4. Be very careful because the glovebox parts are weak and can break easy. :eek:

When you are using the release does if feel normal or no resistance? Try holding the release and wiggle the door up and down. I have had the same problem before. I found that if I push in on the glovebox cover, below the handle the latch then works.

Most often, a jammed glove box can be opened by gently tapping the latch mechanism while carefully pulling on the glove box door itself. The emphasis here is on gentle, careful attempts performed with patience, not brute force. Go back and forth between tapping the latch and pulling on the door until it opens.

The glove compartment is held together on the sides that you can pinch to release and drop. There is also another black piece on the right side that provides it the "slow-motion" opening. It is all pinch and release and likely, one of these three things is a little off. You might try releasing everything as if you're going to change the cabin filter and then adjust it all back and try to close it. Then open and close it a few times. Hope that helps.

I’ll let ya know if it works

On 7/3/2020 at 7:16 AM, Bluefishmaster said:

Tapped the handle twice,came right open..thanks