ttran0711

Fishing at Cape Cod Canal

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I’m a semi-newbie fisherman. My dad used to take me fishing Catfish years and years ago, but I never appreciated fishing until recently. Now you can say; I’m hooked. 

I recently picked up a St Croix Mojo 11ft with a Daiwa BG 6500; I went down to the canal 7 times so far since the pandemic (80 mile drive) tried bait fishing with cut mackerel; tried  using Daiwa SP minnow 6 3/4”; was there 5AM to 11AM on some days; 7PM to 11PM on others. After those trips, 2 stripers total, one of which was a keeper at 28”... past to trips last few days were going home with no hits... What am I doing wrong? Is it common to be slow this time of the year? I am a very very newbie to lures and watched videos of people fishing at the canal reeling fast and jerking the rod 7-10 times before the lure comes back, is that a fish biting or just trying to create action? Advice is soo appreciated! Thanks in advance!! 

Stay off youtube. its a highlight reel of people on blitzes. Whatever youre doing is just fine as long as you're having fun. If you are interested in catching more and bigger fish than you should stick around, do some research on here and learn about the fishes habits and patterns.

9 mins ago, DragonsLax48 said:

Stay off youtube. its a highlight reel of people on blitzes. Whatever youre doing is just fine as long as you're having fun. If you are interested in catching more and bigger fish than you should stick around, do some research on here and learn about the fishes habits and patterns.

If I am using cut bait; should I be using a single high low rig?

6/17-6/18: 2 Fish

6/19: Skunk

6/20: Skunk

6/21: Skunk

6/23: 3 fish but all small

6/24: Skunk

6/25: Skunk

6/26: 1 short

6/28: Small blue

Granted I fish a lot of non-prime times and don’t move around a lot given my fishing companions I wouldn’t trade for the world. Definitely ways to have more success that I won’t get into here, but for the majority of us, ignore the posts of social media and reports from the tackle shops and the reality is stocks are down and on a “normal” day, you are looking at just a small handful of hits at fish especially if the bait is not “in thick”. Reality is, a lot of places other than the ditch are a lot more consistent at producing fish just at smaller sizes.

Edited by Searobin

I wouldnt want to learn/relearn how to fish in the canal. Try fishing outside of the canal and start putting together patterns. Striped bass are much easier to catch when not blasting through an oversized inlet at 4kts with 1000 other "anglers"

3 mins ago, Searobin said:

6/17-6/18: 2 Fish

6/19: Skunk

6/20: Skunk

6/21: Skunk

6/23: 3 fish but all small

6/24: Skunk

6/25: Skunk

6/26: 1 short

6/28: Small blue

Granted I fish a lot of non-prime times and don’t move around a lot given my fishing companions I wouldn’t trade for the world. Definitely ways to have more success that I won’t get into here, but for the majority of us, ignore the posts of social media and reports from the tackle shops and the reality is stocks are down and on a “normal” day, you are looking at just a small handful of hits at fish especially if the bait is not “in thick”. Reality is, a lot of places other than the ditch are a lot more consistent at producing fish just at smaller sizes.

Thanks for the heads up and honesty. 

34 mins ago, ttran0711 said:

If I am using cut bait; should I be using a single high low rig?

Thats a great rig to use and I dont see why it wouldnt work. Once you have the correct rig tied on you should focus on location, timing, and bait selection. If they are feeding on macks give them fresh macks

21 mins ago, DragonsLax48 said:

Thats a great rig to use and I dont see why it wouldnt work. Once you have the correct rig tied on you should focus on location, timing, and bait selection. If they are feeding on macks give them fresh macks

I’ll definitely give it try. Thanks!

So your just getting started and your wondering why your not catching. The truth is you need to learn how to fish the salt and the location.  80 miles to go fishing is a long way. What’s closer to home ? Learn to fish your local waters. Tide,structure, bait, wind, night or day start figuring out the puzzle.  You probably catch more that way and save a ton of time traveling when you can be fishing. Stick around here go into the mass forum and read. You can see old threads by searching all the knowledge is here if you look for it. Search tool is on top type in what your looking for and find it. 

3 mins ago, hydraman said:

So your just getting started and your wondering why your not catching. The truth is you need to learn how to fish the salt and the location.  80 miles to go fishing is a long way. What’s closer to home ? Learn to fish your local waters. Tide,structure, bait, wind, night or day start figuring out the puzzle.  You probably catch more that way and save a ton of time traveling when you can be fishing. Stick around here go into the mass forum and read. You can see old threads by searching all the knowledge is here if you look for it. Search tool is on top type in what your looking for and find it. 

Thanks, I’ll search the topics to see what other technics I can pick up. I’m just very eager to hook up a nice one.  

13 mins ago, ttran0711 said:

Thanks, I’ll search the topics to see what other technics I can pick up. I’m just very eager to hook up a nice one.  

People been fishing years without a nice fish. Put in time on the water. Learn how your lures work. Learn best places to place your bait with a proper cast. Lots to learn. And some luck. 

11 mins ago, hydraman said:

People been fishing years without a nice fish. Put in time on the water. Learn how your lures work. Learn best places to place your bait with a proper cast. Lots to learn. And some luck. 

Much appreciated 

Two biggest factors are time on water/fishing and learning fish behavior and constantly refining your approach by trying different parts of the water column with different profiles. 

Big fish are smart/conserve energy but are also opportunistic. Problem with not fishing jigs and by using the sp minnow, is you are very limited to where you are fishing (aka top of the water column) as well as a very specific profile you are using. Learn where/when to jig, and also spend time watching others techniques and learning what works for you. Good luck, and donate a bunch of jigs to the canal gods and I promise you will be rewarded sooner or later.

18 hours ago, ttran0711 said:

I’m a semi-newbie fisherman. My dad used to take me fishing Catfish years and years ago, but I never appreciated fishing until recently. Now you can say; I’m hooked. 

I recently picked up a St Croix Mojo 11ft with a Daiwa BG 6500; I went down to the canal 7 times so far since the pandemic (80 mile drive) tried bait fishing with cut mackerel; tried  using Daiwa SP minnow 6 3/4”; was there 5AM to 11AM on some days; 7PM to 11PM on others. After those trips, 2 stripers total, one of which was a keeper at 28”... past to trips last few days were going home with no hits... What am I doing wrong? Is it common to be slow this time of the year? I am a very very newbie to lures and watched videos of people fishing at the canal reeling fast and jerking the rod 7-10 times before the lure comes back, is that a fish biting or just trying to create action? Advice is soo appreciated! Thanks in advance!! 

That's fishing man.  You will never know if you will hook up until you go.  Enjoy your time there and just watch what others do.  If you get skunked, happens to the best of us.  If you're lucky, a school may pass thru and you will hook up.

Good luck!

Your score is about right for a new fisherman at the Canal.  People confuse the fishing of 3-4 years ago with what the Canal is normally like.   This year the crazy blitzes are of very short duration and mostly at ever changing locations that are hard to predict.