ranger9

what do you wear in the heaviest surf and rain

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

1 min ago, prican1 said:

Fishing usually sucks in those conditions but if I'm getting hit by waves I'd probably be wearing breathable waders and my trusty Aquaskinz surftop.  

Big weather? Depending on wind direction and how long it's been blowing I've found those conditions to be very productive. Falling barometer and all.

Many years ago, like 40+, we used to wrap a towel around our neck and halfway up the back of our head and then crossed in the front on your chest. Then a couple of turtlenecks. Then a rain top, usually Helly Hansen with a hood, wrists got taped with black electrical tape. On really rough water nights, you got wet quickly but as long as you could keep the inside temp manageable, you could fish 2-3 hours. That was a 1980 drysuit. You always got wet, just a matter of how long, big water forget it, soaked city. 

Today, its the same except they have better ways of keeping you dry, particularly around the neck. If its rough your gonna be wet and cold, can't escape it, try and accept it and don't think about it, the more you do, the colder you get. Sometimes late in the season (Dec. up to X-Mas in NJ) temps would drop at night and your fingers would first turn numb and then ache with pain, had to be some kind of frostbite. Used to put them in the ocean water which was probably mid 40's just to warm the hands up.  Best protection I ever found is Army Wool Glove Inserts, still have some touch, they can't be dunked but they wick water well and with 2 pair at a time, 1 L, 1 XL, top of casting finger cut off you can survive. Then Glacier Gloves arrived, I remember thinking finally, no more cold fingers, the end result of that.... bought a bunch more Army Inserts. I think they were 3 pair for $5, now I think $5 a  pair. Also, the Wool Navy Watch Cap is another must have, or a waterproof Snoopy welders hat, dry and warm. 

Tell ya' what, a clean towel and some dry socks kept in the car were always welcomed after a few hours of that game.    

So, maybe a pair of pajamas and some slippers are not such a bad idea, 40 years later its a darn good idea. 

With those conditions I wouldn't even take a chance or drown for a fish . I would fish another day. But I would wear a wading jacket over my waders with a belt. Good Luck!!!  That's  why I'm still fishing the surf 40 years later.

5 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

Big weather? Depending on wind direction and how long it's been blowing I've found those conditions to be very productive. Falling barometer and all.

Not many cows in that type of weather from my experience.

14 hours ago, ASrod said:

Usually this, and if it’s slippery I’ll put on some wading socks and my korkers.

47B8C6AB-C3DA-4ABB-B0F2-EC787AAB01DE.jpeg

Love it man!!  Lol  .. but, probably my  Stormr or  skinz gear depending on the temperature,  sealed cuffs and neck ect. image.jpeg.fb9ec610ba1bd45b86d3f4a64cea40d6.jpegI've got some big fish in the rough surf blowing out of the northeast , rougher the better it seems sometimes.. I hate bait fishing but usually on clams.. Jmo .. 

Edited by GoodWood69
Added pic

This is kind of confusing...If you're wearing a wetsuit, the expectation is that you're wet, period. If you're fishing from the beach and want to stay dry (cause it's raining), literally wear a rain jacket...If you're taking waves over your head, you definitely want to be in a wetsuit...

Guess my point is that you're outlining two separate scenarios...Think you said overhead waves AND raining sideways...In that case, there's no staying dry, no matter what....and you should be in a wetsuit.

If you're in waders and it's raining, wear a rain jacket.

When I know I'm gonna get slammed, I'm in a 4mm wetsuit with either a Stormr rain jacket over the top (to cut wind), or a Stormr neoprene top (for added insulation), plus neoprene beanie, neoprene gloves, neoprene booties, and boots.

If it's pouring and I really just want to stay dry, I don't get near the waves and I wear a waterproof rain jacket over my waders. 

On 6/29/2020 at 4:25 PM, ranger9 said:

thats cute and all but i dont think they make that in my size, I might have to go to big and tall

That's his mask 

On 6/29/2020 at 4:31 PM, ranger9 said:

i wetsuit fish 95 percent of the time. I am looking for a top that will keep me from getting soaked in my waders. i have a stormr top thats a few years old and it gets soaked right through.

Look into the bomber tops or other brands of kyack splash tops where you have to cut the neck gasket to your neck size.