Jason B

Classic Yaks

14 posts in this topic

Just sold my old Tarpon 160. Not really sure how old it was because I bought it on here years ago. It was the old version with nice lines, super fast, stable as heck and solid as a tank. It really fell into that, ‘they don’t make them like that anymore” category. Never tipped, and it got me through some hairy stuff. Caught a million specks, pups and stripers on that thing. After picking up a slayer, with a Revo backup, It doesn’t get used and it pained me to let it go. 
 I have had too many yaks to remember, but this one was the only one I have kept all these years. 
Maybe the old Tarpon 160 Doesn’t fall into your classic yak category, and many of us have switched to peddles, any other classic yaks from your past? 

241EEBBC-488B-454A-AD70-800E992B440D.jpeg

D662657D-754E-4B52-8B01-6D5D4A5C0453.jpeg

8E7CA694-FFA1-4E5F-B213-FD474FED9629.jpeg

I wouldn’t get rid of that at all. Looks like it tracks very well and is fast. 

Not like todays tanks of unyielding weight, garbage tracking and paddling. 

Paddled a T160 a couple years ago and loved it. I’d love to get one as a SOT tourer one day. 

My first boat was a Necky Santa Cruz. Sold it when I moved to Texas. I miss throwing that thing on my shoulder 

Posted (edited) · Report post

^^^
i think this one was before the 16i, but not certain. They were speedy. I had tippy sit-ins before this one that were just a scary pain to fish from.

Edited by Jason B

37 mins ago, saltfisherman said:

I wouldn’t get rid of that at all. Looks like it tracks very well and is fast. 

Not like todays tanks of unyielding weight, garbage tracking and paddling. 

That is the truth, the rudder was just jewelry 

I have a Tarpon 120 clone based on the pre-2009 hull design. I hadn’t taken it out in a couple of years but since I’ve been working from home, I’ve been freshwater fishing before work most mornings. Man, I forgot how nice it is to keep things simple. No separate lawn chair seat, no pedal drive, no electronics (anymore), no crate, just a rod or two and a small tackle box and my coffee.
I’ve learned that I prefer paddling for smaller FW. It’s easier to maneuver near the banks and under overhanging trees, I don’t have to worry about hitting obstructions or getting too shallow, there’s just less to worry about in general. Not to mention how light and easy to deal with it is.  
Now, put me in saltwater with a 2 knot current and 15mph wind and I’ll take the pedals all day. But it’s easy to forget the paddle yak has served me well and I’ve caught some nice fish in it.

There’s a OK scupper pro listed locally that I’ve been thinking of picking up. I had the rtm tempo back in the day which was a clone. Wet butt, but fast and great to paddle. Had a tarpon 140 too, new tarpons look awful in comparison. 

Been using my 20 year old Perception Prism several times a week. Same mold as the OK Scupper Classic, at (14’1”, 26” wide), and around 61lbs, it’s the Scupper Pro’s little brother. The Hobie sits home, unless the conditions kick up. With the gym closed I need the upper body workout, and as drmevo mentioned it’s so simple, grab a paddle and go!

51C01A72-6347-464B-9404-823E90D54FCC.jpeg

I just parted with my girl, a  New Zealand made Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 14', I truly loved that ride, she liked the rough stuff, was stable as hell and seat was slapped low in the New Zealand version, US version raised the seat in the mold and took rocker away, not as skinny as your Wildy, but the way waves would just roll over her and never a worry was great, and having a paddle in your hands while in the rough stuff makes you more connected then pedal drives. She was like an old girl friend was too heavy had to dump her for a lighter younger girl, she was 78lbs. 29.5"wide, new ride is 62lbs. 30" wide with lawn chair seats for freshwater fishing. New ride was  found in back of Native's factory ,12' Slayer Pro, obsolete no longer made.....perfect.

I'll always remeber my bad girl Ultra, new owner was in love with her already!.......Jack

IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_0232.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

I have an older pre 2008 Tarpon 140 that I consider to be a classic. Ive been caught a few times by waves surf launching it and have always been surprised how well it punched through waves. She is very fast and handles rough conditions very well. The built in seat was comfortable and since its built in, I never had to worry about forgetting to load up the sit for a kayak trip. (I have forgot to load up seats in the past) The one thing I didnt like about the Tarpon 140 is that there was always about an inch or so of water that came through the scupper holes. I now fish with a Viking Profish Reload and the Tarpon only gets used by my brother inlaw when we go out together. He can out paddle me in the Tarpon which is amazing because the Profish Relaod is a very fast kayak. This classic is going to stay in the family.

14 hours ago, Bdawk2020 said:

There’s a OK scupper pro listed locally that I’ve been thinking of picking up. I had the rtm tempo back in the day which was a clone. Wet butt, but fast and great to paddle. Had a tarpon 140 too, new tarpons look awful in comparison. 

Pick it up, if you don't like it sell it for what you paid!  I love the way mine paddles, it's just that I bottom fish more than I cast/troll, and the cockpit is small for all the crap I'd have for bottom fishing like cooler/bait/tackle/anchor. Best trip was a 3 day family paddle self support camping trip in the Adirondacks, me in the SP, son in Pescador 12, wife & daughter in our battered old 15' Grumman (speaking of classic boats).  It was great for LMB fishing, below is me with a trophy! Note the drybag in the back well.

DSCF3132_modified.jpg.03f0ac3c6decae72a92cbfcb36165df9.jpg