Heron25

Student priorities

Rate this topic

57 posts in this topic

Son goes to an academically higher ranked private school, about 50 students in his grade.  11 are black.  Learned 8 of them are transferring to a academically less stringent school that has a football program, current school has every sport other than football (not enough numbers).  Reached out to parents and they said that football is the reason that they are transferring.  Is this sending the right message to these young black males? 

Good question- think they knew it all along.  Wanted to get them in to a better private school knowing it would be easier to transfer them to another private school vs. having them in public school and trying to make the switch.  Kids were doing well at current school, academics not the priority it seems.  

How else can they get their scholarships for college?

Surely their grades should be enough, right? :worms:

Without knowing which kids would be transferring, it could be a general practice to have that "private school" reference to get the foot in the door.

Of course, if the kids are not academically inclined and not in football shape, the football aspect could go out the window.

That's also providing the new school will be playing football during the kids remaining time at the school.

I am coming to the belief that all athletic scholarships should be scrapped and only academic scholarships should be offered.  Those on academic scholarships could then play college sports for free.  I think that would change priorities for a number of families.  

The black kids were smart enough to get into this school and they were doing fine, as far as I know.  They weren't top of class, but they weren't flunking out either.  So instead of keeping their kids in an academically challenging and competitive environment, they prioritized football.  

Odd timeline but I value sports and extra curricular stuff enough that it would factor into my decision assuming my kid was good enough at the sport or activity , truly wanted to play the sport or participate in the activity, and most importantly that I could trust them to continue to work hard academically. 

Sports have significant value that has nothing to do with the actual sport.  

I assume we aren’t taking about going from a. Great private school to some Public school in the hood. 

47 mins ago, Heron25 said:

Son goes to an academically higher ranked private school, about 50 students in his grade.  11 are black.  Learned 8 of them are transferring to a academically less stringent school that has a football program, current school has every sport other than football (not enough numbers).  Reached out to parents and they said that football is the reason that they are transferring.  Is this sending the right message to these young black males? 

What grade are they in?

9 mins ago, Heron25 said:

I am coming to the belief that all athletic scholarships should be scrapped and only academic scholarships should be offered.

Take it your kids aren't athletic? 

5 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

Odd timeline but I value sports and extra curricular stuff enough that it would factor into my decision assuming my kid was good enough at the sport or activity , truly wanted to play the sport or participate in the activity, and most importantly that I could trust them to continue to work hard academically. 

Sports have significant value that has nothing to do with the actual sport.  

I assume we aren’t taking about going from a. Great private school to some Public school in the hood. 

Well said.

Sometimes it's the parents, hoping that their kid will make it big so "junior" can get drafted and make $$.

The majority want the kids to get a good education, and if the football success comes along with that, fine, but the education is key!

I too man, believe me.  I have two kids who both play sports, my wife and I both competed in college sports.They're going from a very good private school that sends at least half of their students to top 25 schools to a private school that sells athletics walking in the door and sends their students to public universities primarily.  

I find it interesting that athletics is consistently sold to young American Blacks as the way to success, over academics. 

some Schools (Districts in whole) at least here on Long Island and i would imagine applies elsewhere are either known for the academics or the sports. Example: Plainview where my sister works is known for its academics not for sports, sure there is football, hockey, lacrosse etc but it's not what the district excels at

Football: Westbury/Freeport/Massapequa are know for their football but if i had a kid i'd much rather them goto a school and get a better education than a trophy 

Posted (edited) · Report post

38 mins ago, Heron25 said:

I am coming to the belief that all athletic scholarships should be scrapped and only academic scholarships should be offered.  Those on academic scholarships could then play college sports for free.  I think that would change priorities for a number of families.  

The black kids were smart enough to get into this school and they were doing fine, as far as I know.  They weren't top of class, but they weren't flunking out either.  So instead of keeping their kids in an academically challenging and competitive environment, they prioritized football.  

There was a good discussion on the radio the other day. It was about colleges deficits right now but did turn to sports and if a lot of them will come back after this. 

at minimum, it seems odd to have division two and three  sports. Doesn’t seem smart to lose money on mediocre sports. D1 at least people watch and you might be able to make up some of the costs. 

Edited by HugeDinghy

It’s largely flipped around here over my generation. The rich towns that put a lot of money into youth sports do very well.