b-ware

Rumor has it..........

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Back in the day there was no rt 495.  It was a three hour drive from Worcester.   As we approached and entered Wareham, there were many small farm stands, all located on one side of the road.   Besides vegetables, every one of those stands had a refrigerator and sold seaworms.    If my memory serves me, the last one was right across from where Lyndsey's restaurant presently sits.

Yup. From Albany it was a full days drive. Then 495. Back in the 90’s and early 2000’s I would drive 3 hours to fish the canal for a tide or 2 and drive back. Then I started to fish the beach which was all of 4 hours. 495 made that happen , at the right time of day/nite. 

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

Back in the day there was no rt 495.  It was a three hour drive from Worcester.   As we approached and entered Wareham, there were many small farm stands, all located on one side of the road.   Besides vegetables, every one of those stands had a refrigerator and sold seaworms.    If my memory serves me, the last one was right across from where Lyndsey's restaurant presently sits.

Before 495? How old are you guys. :point:
What roads did you take to get there? Did 25 exist?

10 hours ago, z-man said:

Before 495? How old are you guys. :point:
What roads did you take to get there? Did 25 exist?

495 ended and you were required to take the Cranberry highway to the bridge (no rt 25). That stretch was a snail crawl that spawned many thriving businesses taking advantage of the never ending snarled traffic.

43 mins ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

495 ended and you were required to take the Cranberry highway to the bridge (no rt 25). That stretch was a snail crawl that spawned many thriving businesses taking advantage of the never ending snarled traffic.

When I was a kid, about 1969 I think, I worked at Perkins Saltwater Taffy on the North side of Cranberry Highway. On Friday and Sunday afternoons, the traffic would be at a standstill there. We did good business. There was a hippie guy that would set up on the other side of the road and sell ice cream to the traffic bound tourists. He had this huge stereo blasting James Taylor music.

Also worked at Calderas (directly across the narrow from Macos for you young guys) in the summer. 6:00 am to 6:00 pm, or 6:00pm to 6:00 am shifts. Like Bob G said, flats of sea worms were big business, especially the big Bass worms. In those days, one could not buy  a beach buggy with all the required equipment off the lot. I saw some really cool homemade rigs and heard some great fishing stories, especially when working at night.

Good memories.

52 mins ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

Started driving that stretch in '70 delivering rough sawn lumber down cape and out to the islands.  Old Mack flat bed with a very heavy clutch....

Even during the week in the summer the traffic was horrendous (think it's bad now?), just as bad in the fall with the trucks hauling cranberries to Ocean Spray.

18 mins ago, b-ware said:

Started driving that stretch in '70 delivering rough sawn lumber down cape and out to the islands.  Old Mack flat bed with a very heavy clutch....

Even during the week in the summer the traffic was horrendous (think it's bad now?), just as bad in the fall with the trucks hauling cranberries to Ocean Spray.

Heavy clutch and heavy traffic......needed a strong left leg!

1 hour ago, b-ware said:

That's rough! I remember lotsa cars overheated on the road sides from long idling with the ac on back then. You probably didn't have ac in that beast though. I wouldn't want that job ac or not really, I hope you were paid hourly not per delivery.

26 mins ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

That's rough! I remember lotsa cars overheated on the road sides from long idling with the ac on back then. You probably didn't have ac in that beast though. I wouldn't want that job ac or not really, I hope you were paid hourly not per delivery.

Don't remember many cars with AC back then let alone trucks, although that truck had 2x55 AC...……...Roll down both windows and drive 55 MPH...…..

The guy that owned that truck was a good guy and payed me both ways, not just the loaded mile.

Seaworms were a real racket.  Only the most regular customers got the best worms. The bass worms as they were called.  The elite customers were allowed to go behind the counter and into the cooler and pick out their own flat.   Macos used to hold a couple of the best flats for my dad and I each Fri.   The flat would have our name on it. 

Everyone fished worms in those days, on the canal, beach, or boat.  I never thought I'd see all that evaporate.

4 hours ago, bob_G said:

Seaworms were a real racket.  Only the most regular customers got the best worms. The bass worms as they were called.  The elite customers were allowed to go behind the counter and into the cooler and pick out their own flat.   Macos used to hold a couple of the best flats for my dad and I each Fri.   The flat would have our name on it. 

Everyone fished worms in those days, on the canal, beach, or boat.  I never thought I'd see all that evaporate.

We were boat fishermen and always trolled with a Cape Cod spinner and worm...........

On 6/29/2020 at 2:29 PM, bob_G said:

As the bass fishery continues to decline, it's going to become increasingly challenging to stay in business.

The problem is also small B&T's ,like mine, have to compete with internet sales and the big retailers.B&T's didn't have that competition years ago.People don't realize we can't survive just selling bait.Not a lot of profit in selling 3 Bunker and a half a dozen clams to customers.We have to sell tackle as well to get-by.

2 hours ago, Shelldrake said:

We were boat fishermen and always trolled with a Cape Cod spinner and worm...........

The ol spinner and worms. :laugh: .   That's how I got my boat start as a kid.  Fished with a guy from Worc.   It was years before the tube n worm was invented.   Of course we were all fishing for 16-20" fish back then.