HugeDinghy

Lost fish

Rate this topic

198 posts in this topic

Got beat up by a slob this weekend. I’ll never forget it. Was plugging in the rain and saw a school of bunker off to my left . Classic v shaped nervous water moving left to ight. Ran out of the water to where my stuff was and grabbed my snagger. Threw it on the rod that was there with a clip on it ( wrong move) and ran back. Perfect cast one tank and I snagged one. Gets picked up within five second. I set the drag and the fish calmly swims to shore ( shale rock ledges) and breaks me off like nothing  I’ll never forget that fish. 

you have any heartbreaker fish? DF3DF989-A3E5-45EF-BEC1-F8122B3BAEB0.jpeg.1b46b0cc075883b577417551857ee7d5.jpeg

Edited by HugeDinghy

when i was a little kid my family and my cousins would goto this resort Willow Valley in Lancaster PA, well they had a big lake and i would spend most of the vacation fishing it, first year using dough balls to catch sunnies, following year a few lures thrown in for tiny bass The last year we were there i found a spot just off the resort property where i could kick over some leaves and grab some worms, next went over to a side of the lake that had a few boulders on the shore, decided to put on a flounder setup with a light sinker and lobbed it out a bit, got slammed and fought this thing all the way to the surface and saw it was an Albino catfish, like a milky yellowish color and it broke me off. i spent the rest of the day attempting to land one and every time got broken off :( we left and headed home the following day and have never been back for my revenge

Edited by Sandflee

13 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

Got beat up by a slob this weekend. I’ll never forget it. Was plugging in the rain and saw a school of bunker off to my left . Classic v shaped nervous water moving left to ight. Ran out of the water to where my stuff was and grabbed my snagger. Threw it on the rod that was there with a clip on it ( wrong move) and ran back. Perfect cast one tank and I snagged one. Gets picked up within five second. I set the drag and the fish calmly swims to shore ( shale rock ledges) and breaks me off like nothing  I’ll never forget that fish. 

you have any heartbreaker fish? DF3DF989-A3E5-45EF-BEC1-F8122B3BAEB0.jpeg.1b46b0cc075883b577417551857ee7d5.jpeg

That's karma for fuqin with doc hop!!!

Quite a few.  

Early season at a mouth of a river when the big females swim up.  April 2nd I believe it was.  No herring yet so sand worms it is, back then they were cheap.  Had about a half dozen on my hook, fishing like a rich mexican.  Fish picked it up and peeled a good 100 yards of drag.  A nearby dude came over telling me how to play the fish.  Finally got it near shore and the dude turns his light on it.  :mad: got to see it before it turned and broke me off.  Close to 5 foot fish.  Why would you turn a light on it at that point?  

Mid day on a jetty tossing a popper.  Had a big brown shadow follow it in.  Big big.  Switched to a swimmer and next cast it blasted out of the water, had that fish on for about 10 seconds.  The 6x hooks were mangled, straighter and twisted. 

Had another one hit a popper off another nearby jetty.  Uncontrollable.  Swam to the other jetty and got off.  

Hooked into a cow on a beach that took my out a ways, effing scum bag boater got between me and the fish and broke it off.  

Wife hooked into a big one 1 time that had the drag spinning so fast it broke the reel.  K mart special.  It came off and when we got the rig back it had a huge scale on it.  That was an odd one.  

2 mins ago, JimW said:

Never hook any more likely.  Takes a reasonably good fisherman to get beat a lot. 

I haven't hooked into a truly big fish for a long time now.  It's really sad.

4 mins ago, hwsmike said:

Shouldn’t this be in the mediocre fisherman thread?

This fish had a plan. Even if I wasn’t waded out on a ledge and was on shore, I couldn’t have run down to get in front of her in time anyway. 

it was really impressive.  Like she wasn’t even concerned with being landed.  I had my canal set up with me. Even if I hooked her on that she would have popped me off.