emptyhook

Tech savvy Router question.

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

My old router died. Need a new one that can hand 3 devices streaming, surf and handling emails. My tv is plug directly. Range only need to be apartment range. Looking for a replacement but I’m lost, so many options. 

For wireless the best I've found is the Netgear Orbi RBR50. You can deploy it as a mesh network with multiple nodes for larger spaces. In your case, you might get by with a single node. Has good security features and you can manage it from an app on your smartphone. 

Hey buddy, I am thinking you are looking for a wireless router for the three devices.

Hat tip to CNET

• NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S WiFi Router (R7800)
  • Linksys Tri-Band Max-Stream AC2200
  • NETGEAR Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi 6 Router (RAX80)

Thanks for the responses. @beerdoh

@bestoftwo I like the price point of the Linksys. I’ve been looking and I’m not looking for the best of the best and definitely not a gamer. I think most would be a waste to me. Way to many options I won’t ever need.

I try not to trust these best of list as you never know who has secret biases.

What model and brand of the dead router. How much you want to pay? Who is your isp? Most of the ones I found cost less than 100 bucks and the basic is about 50 bucks. The links from bestoftwo is good to read on but dont get tricked into buying any of them. There are better and cheaper ones available elsewhere than amazon.

1 hour ago, Bluefishmaster said:

What model and brand of the dead router. How much you want to pay? Who is your isp? Most of the ones I found cost less than 100 bucks and the basic is about 50 bucks. The links from bestoftwo is good to read on but dont get tricked into buying any of them. There are better and cheaper ones available elsewhere than amazon.

Motorola arris surfboard sgb6580.

thing would hookup a mile away but didn’t really have streaming or anything to be honest. We have Comcast high speed.

Posted (edited) · Report post

What you had was a cable model with a wifi router built in. It will probably be easier to buy the all in one, cable modem, wifi router option. If you buy them separately, you can upgrade the wifi when better standards come out.

Untitled.png

Edited by Draekon
added pic

8 hours ago, blackdogfish said:

I've always liked Porter Cable routers but Bosch makes some good stuff too.

Couldn’t resist could you.

I searched and found NETGEAR AC1600 WiFi DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem Router (C6250) as the highly recommended replacement for Comcast Xfinity. It is a modem and router in one. You can find it online and in store like Bestbuy. Most places are over $149. If your modem/router is dead, how are you accessing the internet?

3 hours ago, Bluefishmaster said:

I searched and found NETGEAR AC1600 WiFi DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem Router (C6250) as the highly recommended replacement for Comcast Xfinity. It is a modem and router in one. You can find it online and in store like Bestbuy. Most places are over $149. If your modem/router is dead, how are you accessing the internet?

Phone data and the modem is still working just not WiFi. Which is why I spaced the fact I’m a combo setup.

Pre virus phone surfing was fine till the demand drained the speed. It’s a uphill battle to complain to our cell providers not keeping up with demand. I’m in a town that only one company has reliable service. So taking my business elsewhere isn’t an option.