jjdbike

Best knot for 10lb braid to 15lb floro leader?

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Hey folks, 

Been over year since I've thought about this, but looking forward to that time soon when I'll need it.

This is light tackle finesse from surf, when distance and stealth are needed (or at least preferred). 

My goto lately has been the uni to uni. I've totally abandoned the double or triple surgeons knot because it's way too weak. 

I've tried the FG and PR knot but haven't perfected them. 

I'm wondering what the best knot is for connecting a thin smooth braid to a thin, hard floro leader.

Is uni to uni a good choice or do I need to get back to the bench and re-learn FG or PR?

Your opinion or suggestions please? 

Thanks in advance!

JD

I use an Alberto knot.  Little bit thicker than a nice FG knot but works for me. 

I have memory (brain not line) issues so I have a hard time retaining new info.  I focus on a half dozen or so (more like 5) knots that I can tie well and that's it.   Maybe next year if I tie tie the FG over the winter I'll switch but who knows. 

according to my nephew, the knot i have always used for this sort of application is called the alberto.

i never know the names - just call them “the braid to fluoro knot”, “the braid knot” (braid strait to swivel), the fluoro to lure knot”, “loop to loop braid knot”, etc

The IGFA did some knot strength tests using 15lb braid vs 50lb braid. You can look at the other top knots in the light braid rankings which are the cat's paw and bimini. I would really stick with the FG. Just cinch it down really hard. The FG knot should dig in and make grooves in the leader. Check if you do this with your practice knots. There is so much variance with FG knot strength depending on each individual which is why I am a perfectionist when tying it. I would say double uni is almost idiot proof which is what I do on the beach.

9 hours ago, Justinj said:

Small spro swivel or Alberto knot

Yes, I believe a uni to a swivel is probably the easiest way to make a very secure connection. My concern is when using a long leader, accidentally reeling swivel into top guide and cracking ceramic insert. 

7 hours ago, Draekon said:

The IGFA did some knot strength tests using 15lb braid vs 50lb braid. You can look at the other top knots in the light braid rankings which are the cat's paw and bimini. I would really stick with the FG. Just cinch it down really hard. The FG knot should dig in and make grooves in the leader. Check if you do this with your practice knots. There is so much variance with FG knot strength depending on each individual which is why I am a perfectionist when tying it. I would say double uni is almost idiot proof which is what I do on the beach.

Yes, I'll need to get back to the bench to practice. On the other hand, I can pretty much tie unit to uni with my eyes closed. If something goes wrong, i.e. it isn't perfect, you can tell right away with a quick look.

Like you, for on the beach purposes I'll stick w/ uni to uni. Truth is, I like to keep a light drag anyway. Just enough to get a good cast and hook set. 

Thanks everyone.

JD

Found my post regarding braid to braid FG wherein I mentioned the Bob Sands variation I use; it works very well for light braid to light-ish mono too

Edited by ZAFisher