Justinj

J braid x4

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

How is this stuff? Got a 300 yard spool of 15lb to use on a spinning reel for bucktailing ocean fluke. Die hard original power pro user here, but dicks was out of 15lb and I had a $20 reward so I figured I’d give this stuff a try. $20 for 300 yards. I’ve read mixed reviews but wanna hear from people who have actually fished it a fair amount of time

I prefer Berkley x5 to j braid x4

Lighter lb tests the x4 is fine but heavier gets ropey when worn in. 

X5 stays like new longer 

I prefer x8.. Never had one iota of an issue over miles of line

Never heard of someone not liking 8 strand. 

I only prefer the coarse 4 strands for shredding vegetation.  

Unless it's of poor quality a bad batch or inaccurate labeled diameters.. poor performance is generally a Indian not the arrow type thing 

13 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

I prefer Berkley x5 to j braid x4

Lighter lb tests the x4 is fine but heavier gets ropey when worn in. 

X5 stays like new longer 

I prefer x8.. Never had one iota of an issue over miles of line

Never heard of someone not liking 8 strand. 

I only prefer the coarse 4 strands for shredding vegetation.  

Unless it's of poor quality a bad batch or inaccurate labeled diameters.. poor performance is generally a Indian not the arrow type thing 

I only bought this because they didn’t have power pro original in the size I wanted. Not using a heavy lb test either. 15lb is loaded on a Daiwa BG3000 and will be used ocean bucktailing fluke 2-3oz

Edited by Justinj

I used the Jbraid 4x, 20 and 30 lb for a year (2018).  Throwing plugs, metals, etc. for bass and blues. No issues, lost yardage on casts. But otherwise I was happy with it. Less knotting. And they pull out easier. Back to 8x lines now. 

9 hours ago, Justinj said:

How is this stuff? Got a 300 yard spool of 15lb to use on a spinning reel for bucktailing ocean fluke. Die hard original power pro user here, but dicks was out of 15lb and I had a $20 reward so I figured I’d give this stuff a try. $20 for 300 yards. I’ve read mixed reviews but wanna hear from people who have actually fished it a fair amount of time

I have been using it on my most heavily used ocean fluke rod for 3 years. Mostly fishing GPS marks some with rocks and reefs. Haven’t had any problems. Haven’t changed or reversed it. Just fish with it and rinse my rods well with fresh water afterwards. 

Just got back from Nantucket. Caught several 8-9# fluke and I had no issues. 

Edited by hookmeup

I think I brought a reel on here I use j braid on it’s ok . The original power pro breaks. I’ve seen it serval times. It happened to me last season. I use suffix 832 and it awesome no issues.

I started off with 4x j, works and does the job no issues but 8x j is better in many ways except abrasion and wind knots. I use the j braid 4x for my heavier set up from shore when wind is an issue, I've had wind knot issues with lot of 8x braids blowing 3+ oz out in some wind. loses color and coating quicker than usual though but pretty good with abrasion. I think it's very comparable to power pro 4x in terms of stiffness and strength.  

x4 is great. No wind knots, really good castability, and abrasion resistance. I use for shore based albacore sessions. If you are leery of it feel free to send to me and I'll test for a season for you :cool:

I had some x4 as I got it for a good price, wouldn't buy it again.  Just seemed to have issues with it in the surf, prefer the x8. Though was probably more of a technique issue with me than the line itself.