Popasilov

Best part of being alone on the beach

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

Alot about a rip is tide window an strike zone.  Know the rip, fish the tide window drifting through the strike zone with weight to handle the current and depth targeted.  Fish sit in that to feed, a half hour and it's pretty evident weather fish are set or not.  Iv had nights where the whole tide produced, and others usually well off the new or full moon where it was a 15 minute window before shut down.

Movement Is key

On 6/29/2020 at 2:31 PM, baldadonis2002 said:

Back to the topic from the OP

Zeno Hromin from ********** said in one of his vids... "if you are standing alone on a popular fishing beach\location...it's because there are no fish there".

This is cr-p man. I’ve been the only guy on the beach all alone catching many times. Some dudes need the group some fish alone 90% of the time. 

Waves waves and more waves. Big waves little waves. Lit by any moon.  On a rock in the sand doesn't matter to me.  

Then getting snapped out of it when some mating horseshoe crabs, a racoon, skimmer, baby plover or ideally fish catches me off guard.

4 hours ago, Bait Tailer said:

Waves waves and more waves. Big waves little waves. Lit by any moon.  On a rock in the sand doesn't matter to me.  

Then getting snapped out of it when some mating horseshoe crabs, a racoon, skimmer, baby plover or ideally fish catches me off guard.

Ha. The mating horseshoe crabs freak me out every time. 

The rare instances I’ve been alone on the beach and looked around and saw nothing man made was primal, purely natural except for the gear I had, seeing  it how our ancestors did 1000s of years ago. The I saw one of those plastic tampon inserters and ruined my vision

21 hours ago, hydraman said:

This is cr-p man. I’ve been the only guy on the beach all alone catching many times. Some dudes need the group some fish alone 90% of the time. 

Well... "yes"  and "no",  plenty of useless flat structure-less shoreline, you probably "take the walk" and find the mini-structures that don't "jump off the page" to the untrained eye.

The masses flock to the structure that a blind fool could find.

Also, if you fish "creature hours" ...well yeah, you will be alone no prob.

On 6/29/2020 at 2:31 PM, baldadonis2002 said:

Back to the topic from the OP

Zeno Hromin from ********** said in one of his vids... "if you are standing alone on a popular fishing beach\location...it's because there are no fish there".

I call BS. Plenty of times I've had stellar nights by myself on a popular beach. Maybe fishing tides others dont normally.

there are two types of people: those that walk straight to the water and set up, and those that walk to a preferred area.  

Nothing like the solitude of open beach or wading marshes. People don’t like to walk, I love it. Walk and keep going until you see something whether it’s structure or motion in the water. 

last night I braved the storm and found fish... I just had to deal with rats running down the jetty. 

It's not just the beach - a lake, the woods - all can be peaceful at the right time of day - which would be when most people are asleep. So for me the best part is not "dealing" with people.

Sometimes I fish all night on an NJ beach (I know, I know, it's the NY thread). One time I set up next to a jetty around sunset mid-summer, people leaving, not another fisherman on that beach, as it gets dark this fisherman whose got at least 10 years on me (I'm 55) unloads his gear 20 feet away from me. At first I was like......are you  kidding me. Weather is bad, foggy and very windy. This guy then wades through the water in his flip flops and climbs up onto the jetty - then walks out and disappears into the fog. I check my watch so when he doesn't return and the police show up, at least I can tell them what time I last saw him. I could not see him at all -  a few hours later he makes it back and leaves, only then can I relax with my thoughts - or not.

Peter

On 6/30/2020 at 9:37 PM, hydraman said:

Agreed total crap,  along with 90% of what that guy has said and done with a publication that's bastardized surf fishing into a branded marketing platform for his and his cohorts own gain while paying little or no attention to the real conservation issues that matter to those who put him where he is.  But people lap up his content like feading blood hounds, thirsty for belonging in the world.

With that said, it's often the case that popular beaches empty out when the fishing changes and people are busy chasing the next report...fish one area exclusively for an entire season and people become easier to pattern than fish.

Edited by DeepBlue85

Walking the beach is a must when by myself.

This time had a wife and a kid with me.

We were trying to catch something with a bate. I had my stationary 13' with chunk set up, so not much walking and plugging. Yes I was going no more than 150 feet left and right, but that's it.

Even that could be to far if you have a hit on the big rod.