Popasilov

Best part of being alone on the beach

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Wire For Fire said:

Where the hell ya hunting squirrel on Long Island ? 

Gramps hunted in the back yard. With rocks. Squirrels on the bird feeder.

He'd have em on the roticery when we came over. 

Taste like chicken no chit.

1 hour ago, baldadonis2002 said:

Depends... if I'm on a jetty with rough moving water, I feel like it is a highway with constant traffic passing by...in those cases I will sit tight and fan cast... not for HOURS... but yes for hours .

Funny how when you freshwater fish.. you cast and move like nothing for LMBs ... once you introduce salt... fisherman get lethargic :rav:

Yea well I understand fishing a rip for while but still hour or two no bites and everything else looks right , I’m on the move 

42 mins ago, the3fishheads said:

Gramps hunted in the back yard. With rocks. Squirrels on the bird feeder.

He'd have em on the roticery when we came over. 

Taste like chicken no chit.

lol believe it Mo.. 

just got one them new fandangle pellet rifles . Man they ain’t what they used to be . 1400fps is fast lol .. but been having fun teaching lil mans to shoot . He getting good quick , gotta brush up my technique 

1 min ago, Wire For Fire said:

lol believe it Mo.. 

just got one them new fandangle pellet rifles . Man they ain’t what they used to be . 1400fps is fast lol .. but been having fun teaching lil mans to shoot . He getting good quick , gotta brush up my technique 

He wont be lil man for long. Kids grow fast these days.

20191128_184645.jpg

18 mins ago, the3fishheads said:

He wont be lil man for long. Kids grow fast these days.

20191128_184645.jpg

Yea man . Effin almost 9 already .. wtf happened . Just passed 1 year in new house . Dam that was fast 

1 min ago, Wire For Fire said:

Yea man . Effin almost 9 already .. wtf happened . Just passed 1 year in new house . Dam that was fast 

Best part you get to watch it go. Every second counts.

Live life and love life.

Literary , they grow as you watch them.

it was, like, yesterday, when you pick them up from hospital and now they are almost ready to leave.

Time flies.

For all you watchers of kids growing up, watch Kenny Chesney's "Don't Blink" on u-tube.  My gal  is 42 now and hates fishing, but she's a lawyer what do I expect.  :banghd:

23 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Woodchuck is like a giant rabbit! Great eating.  They're mainly vegetarian and will cherry pick the freshest & ripest. 

They do have a few glands that should be removed. Mainly in the hind end. Easy to spot. Look like weird globs of fat. But if you cook them it's not the end of the world.  

I started squirrel hunting because being a meatcutter, deer seasons always fall on the busiest times of year (late Oct- New Year).  Squirrel (in CT) is open from Sept1 to the last day in Feb.  

But fell in love with it. Lots of action, ample shooting, great eating. Low cost and low pressure.  U can hunt them with the cheapest gun u can find. No special clothes. 

Forest squirrel are a complete different animal than a suburb squirrel. Everything is trying to eat them. Your target is 2 1inch spots that rarely stop for more than a moment. Masters at camouflage. If they see you 1st you will rarely see them 2nd.   

But... They have serious ADHD and if there is 1, most likely a few more. 

As far as them being bushy tailed rats.. Yes. But meat is meat. 

Squirrels will also make you a better big game hunter.  Learn to still hunt them, and shoot fast and accurately enough to dependably kill, and shots at big game will be easy.

I love to stalk them with a .22.  I actually bought a Weatherby Mark XXII bolt action, built on an Anshutz target action, specifically for squirrels.  Capable of half-inch groups at 50 yards, which is exactly what you need for head shots.

And yes, they're very tasty.

20 hours ago, Wire For Fire said:

Where the hell ya hunting squirrel on Long Island ? 

I like to go upstate because I can use a .22 there, but if you're just looking for fricasseed squirrel in lemon butter, you can get them at both the Otis Pike and Rocky Point DEC properties.

3 mins ago, CWitek said:

I like to go upstate because I can use a .22 there, but if you're just looking for fricasseed squirrel in lemon butter, you can get them at both the Otis Pike and Rocky Point DEC properties.

yep, pellet only

3 mins ago, Sandflee said:

yep, pellet only

My Long Island squirrels tend to be taken with a shotgun, only because I happen across them while hunting pheasants.  It's generally "Hold the dog.  I see a tree rat."