Best part of being alone on the beach

Rate this topic

One of the well known SS beaches this evening; I was all by myself, nobody else.

There were few rain drops, no windy and few lighting here and there on the horizon.

Like usual, I didn't catch any fish. Kind of disappointing.

But than

I look left; I don't see anybody catching fish.

So I look right; same thing, I don't see anybody catching fish.

Now, I don't feel that bad any more.

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

PSegnatelli,

Really? Tasty? I've never tried them, but I have plenty in my yard. I've always wondered. My grandparents ate rats in WWII in Europe and they survived. Squirrels to me are bushy-tailed rats...

How about woodchucks? Ever eaten those? I catch a few every year and I have been wondering about eating them. After all, they are rodents like rabbits and squirrels, but with more meat. The wife doesn't like it though...

Fisherman with 4 sons. I hope they all catch the 'bug' so I have a good excuse to leave the house and go fishing.

15 mins ago, Carpniels said:

PSegnatelli,

Really? Tasty? I've never tried them, but I have plenty in my yard. I've always wondered. My grandparents ate rats in WWII in Europe and they survived. Squirrels to me are bushy-tailed rats...

How about woodchucks? Ever eaten those? I catch a few every year and I have been wondering about eating them. After all, they are rodents like rabbits and squirrels, but with more meat. The wife doesn't like it though...

Woodchuck is like a giant rabbit! Great eating.  They're mainly vegetarian and will cherry pick the freshest & ripest. 

They do have a few glands that should be removed. Mainly in the hind end. Easy to spot. Look like weird globs of fat. But if you cook them it's not the end of the world.  

I started squirrel hunting because being a meatcutter, deer seasons always fall on the busiest times of year (late Oct- New Year).  Squirrel (in CT) is open from Sept1 to the last day in Feb.  

But fell in love with it. Lots of action, ample shooting, great eating. Low cost and low pressure.  U can hunt them with the cheapest gun u can find. No special clothes. 

Forest squirrel are a complete different animal than a suburb squirrel. Everything is trying to eat them. Your target is 2 1inch spots that rarely stop for more than a moment. Masters at camouflage. If they see you 1st you will rarely see them 2nd.   

But... They have serious ADHD and if there is 1, most likely a few more. 

As far as them being bushy tailed rats.. Yes. But meat is meat. 

Back to the OP's subject. Best part of being alone on the beach for me is I can cast any direction I want and sing off key. LOL:laugh:

You can find good eating squirrel anywhere upstate. I avoid squirrels from long island as I know they are no different than the ones in the local park. How do you cook these squirrels?

Making the world safe for bait, one bluefish at a time!

Empty beach , no fish ? Crazy talk 

and yes I’m a walk and cast kinda guy . I like to slowly stroll the beach as please casting sometimes back and forth over 100-200 yard piece, sometimes 2 miles in one direction.. never understood standing in one spot casting over same piece for hours waiting for fish to pass by or move in .. 

Can't beat an isolated place. 

There's an island here in Georgia called Wassaw Island. It's a national wildlife refuge and it is my favorite place on the planet Ive been so far. Only accessible by your own boat or if you pay someone to take you. 

Years ago we went there through one of my annual UGA Marine Science camps, and I will never forget the time that me and 10 other teens stepped onto this island, and it was the most gorgeous thing I had ever seen. Nobody along the entire 7 mile beach. Old timber and tidepools across the sand. Blue crabs sticking out of their pools, along with tons of micro baitfish in those pools. Ghost crabs and birds everywhere. Behind the island was a thick maritime forest and a couple of freshwater ponds. 

We did lots of cool activities, but my favorite was seine netting. Not only did we catch a variety of cool species, but the amount of life at a practically untouched beach like that is remarkable. After that trip I have dreaded visiting the tourist beaches. I hope to get back there soon. 

Edited by coastalfreak

"It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most
Not where you live, what you drive or the price tag on your clothes" -Zac Brown Band

"A leader is someone who keeps their head when everyone else is losing theirs." -Bryant Wright

24 mins ago, Wire For Fire said:

never understood standing in one spot casting over same piece for hours waiting for fish to pass by

Depends... if I'm on a jetty with rough moving water, I feel like it is a highway with constant traffic passing by...in those cases I will sit tight and fan cast... not for HOURS... but yes for hours .

Funny how when you freshwater fish.. you cast and move like nothing for LMBs ... once you introduce salt... fisherman get lethargic :rav:

@Bluefishmaster generally crockpot till tender then add them to whatever meals I'm making.   

Did a killer meat pie 2 years ago & another in a cheese sauce with broccoli & onions.  Sorta like a really thick broc & ched soup.  My fav is boneless & chilled with mayo like chicken salad.