shu

Tuna or pelagic fishing party boats

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Curious to know if there are any party boat or similar that goes out and target Tuna or various pelagic species. Preferably leaving out of NJ. 

A lot of smaller charter boats in NJ will due tuna trips. Some of the party boats in Brielle & Pt. Pleasant. I know the Gambler in Pt Pleasant does some smaller 12 hr pelagic trips in the late summer early fall usually around $125-150/ person.

Most of the NJ party boat tuna fishing takes place Sept and Oct. Voyager, Gambler, Golden Eagle, Jamaica are the main ones that come to mind. I think Golden Eagle runs some mid shore trips in July and August. Each of their websites are pretty informative on what they offer and when. 

Have fun!!

6 hours ago, Justinj said:

Party boat tuna fishing...UGH 

You're not the first person whom I've heard express this opinion.

I've never tuna fished mainly due to the cost. This is coming expressly from a position of not knowing. Are you willing to explain why this opinion please?

Thanks.

JD

6 hours ago, jjdbike said:

You're not the first person whom I've heard express this opinion.

I've never tuna fished mainly due to the cost. This is coming expressly from a position of not knowing. Are you willing to explain why this opinion please?

Thanks.

JD

It's definitely a workout.  No backing down on fish, having to do laps around the boat while trying to gain on a fish, going over and under people.

Had a bluefin trip last year where like 6 people were hooked up at the same time.  I think 1 or 2 from that bite ended up in the boat. 

3 mins ago, Captain Planet said:

It's definitely a workout.  No backing down on fish, having to do laps around the boat while trying to gain on a fish, going over and under people.

Had a bluefin trip last year where like 6 people were hooked up at the same time.  I think 1 or 2 from that bite ended up in the boat. 

is it better to go on private boat like charters? The only issue with this is that I am usually solo or with 1 or 2 other friends. So we don't have like 6-8 people to split 3-4k cost evenly 

27 mins ago, shu said:

is it better to go on private boat like charters? The only issue with this is that I am usually solo or with 1 or 2 other friends. So we don't have like 6-8 people to split 3-4k cost evenly 

If you like to jig tuna, Party boats have advantage.  I used to jig on the bow of party boats. When I started jigging, there were very few who fished on the bow. Not it changed.  But you still can jig there.  I suggest to use 80 lb line with drag 22 lb - 25 lb. You can not fight long on party boats. With such drag, you can land 50 - 70 tuna within 5 minutes and 100 lb tuna within 10 minutes.

Oh man...this is a nostalgic post for me....I worked on the Miss Barnegat Light...in the early to mid '90s...We did 2 bluefish trips a day all summer...I worked nights...Then in the fall we ran overnight canyon trips for like 20ish people...I was usually in school (high school or college at the time), so couldn't fish too much in the fall, but man were those fun trips. We caught tons of nice yellowfin....some swords, some bluefin, some mahi, some random stuff, was awesome out there....I then graduated to long lining, which was way harder and more rewarding, but I'll never forget those nights on the Miss Barnegat Light...No clue who's running fall overnight trips out to the canyons now, but if you want to catch tuna, best to just charter or join a mixed trip. The head boats are a crap shoot....if they even still exist.  

8 hours ago, Mojua said:

Oh man...this is a nostalgic post for me....I worked on the Miss Barnegat Light...in the early to mid '90s...We did 2 bluefish trips a day all summer...I worked nights...Then in the fall we ran overnight canyon trips for like 20ish people...I was usually in school (high school or college at the time), so couldn't fish too much in the fall, but man were those fun trips. We caught tons of nice yellowfin....some swords, some bluefin, some mahi, some random stuff, was awesome out there....I then graduated to long lining, which was way harder and more rewarding, but I'll never forget those nights on the Miss Barnegat Light...No clue who's running fall overnight trips out to the canyons now, but if you want to catch tuna, best to just charter or join a mixed trip. The head boats are a crap shoot....if they even still exist.  

You must know my friend Mike Chung.  Because of him, tuna part boats allowed braided line for jigging as he constantly caught tuna on jigs using color coded braid line without tangles with other lines.  I fished on the Miss Barnegat Light as well as next boat in Barnegat Light. 

Miss Barnegat Light over nite tuna trips were the best run and most enjoyable tuna trips I ever did . I worked & fished out of Sheepshead Bay , Brooklyn when the Bacardi , Texas Tower bite was hot , lot of guys on here weren’t born yet. On the charter/ private boat side , I remember hauling fuel in drums to make he long runs lol . I would go on the Miss B as a treat to my bro & myself . If I’m not mistaken , I think an older cat named J Larson owned her & a few other vessels as well as a good bit of the property . The Skipper er fished with was a young guy , as well as the crew , these guys were top shelf , jigging up squid that the tuna would practicly

eat out of your hand lol , one trip in particular , an older black dude came aboard. This cat had one arm . The crew set him up next to my bro & I in the starboard stern corner. I grabbed one of the mates & said we would look after him , he said thanks , you fish , one of us will be nearby all night . Hats off to you , being one of the crew on that big , fast cat ! You had a top shelf operation . Oh and we always caught . The night with the handicapped guy , he landed a 40 -45lb. yellowfin   , he hung in there for the daybreak longfin albacore bite , usually a short window, he didn’t connect , however a few of us who did hooked him up with a few loins , best piece of tuna you can eat . I hope life’s been good to you , you gave mates a good name , you guys were what a mate should be . The skipper was no slouch either. Lol and it was were I landed my first tuna on a jig. Bill J 

6 hours ago, oneeyewilly said:

Miss Barnegat Light over nite tuna trips were the best run and most enjoyable tuna trips I ever did . I worked & fished out of Sheepshead Bay , Brooklyn when the Bacardi , Texas Tower bite was hot , lot of guys on here weren’t born yet. On the charter/ private boat side , I remember hauling fuel in drums to make he long runs lol . I would go on the Miss B as a treat to my bro & myself . If I’m not mistaken , I think an older cat named J Larson owned her & a few other vessels as well as a good bit of the property . The Skipper er fished with was a young guy , as well as the crew , these guys were top shelf , jigging up squid that the tuna would practicly

eat out of your hand lol , one trip in particular , an older black dude came aboard. This cat had one arm . The crew set him up next to my bro & I in the starboard stern corner. I grabbed one of the mates & said we would look after him , he said thanks , you fish , one of us will be nearby all night . Hats off to you , being one of the crew on that big , fast cat ! You had a top shelf operation . Oh and we always caught . The night with the handicapped guy , he landed a 40 -45lb. yellowfin   , he hung in there for the daybreak longfin albacore bite , usually a short window, he didn’t connect , however a few of us who did hooked him up with a few loins , best piece of tuna you can eat . I hope life’s been good to you , you gave mates a good name , you guys were what a mate should be . The skipper was no slouch either. Lol and it was were I landed my first tuna on a jig. Bill J 

this is such a cool post....and yea, John Larson was an effin legend....he died like 10 years ago, but he was the guy who got me into fishing, kicked my ass, turned me onto the commercial stuff, and he never fcuked around...I remember one year...probably 1996...I showed up for the beginning of the season and had kinda long, scruffy hair.....I had driven down from upstate NY with my dad...John saw me, and said, "you're not getting on my boat looking like that...Go get a haircut and come back..."...and I did...he said he wanted his mates to look like Harvard boys...and while none of us were actually Harvard guys....we did what he said....he owned all the 'red' boats in Barnegat Light, which was most of them back then...the good ol days. I miss it.