coastalfreak

Questioning The Ethically of Fishing

Rate this topic

70 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Beastly Backlash said:

There are more better reasons to keep fishing then reasons why you should quit fishing.

Keep at it, enjoy the fishing Louisiana has to offer, posts pics. Also, did you decide upon a baitcasting outfit to use for fishing?

Not quite. I did remember I have an old Penn 155 that I can fix up, although I was at cabelas today and looked at some of their offerings even though the reel counter was basically empty for covid reasons. I’m really digging the Shimano Cardiff for some reason, and the Ugly Stik Tiger Lite had a great action for me personally. 

And as for the photos, will do. I look forward to exploring the marshes. 

Edited by coastalfreak

The human condition is such that we must live with our failure to understand many things. Why do spring peepers freeze solid in the winter and then have the ability to come back to life when they thaw out? Why do people love certain animals and eat others? Lewis & Clark loved the taste of dog more than elk, and bartered for it at almost every native village they encountered. Why do we (on this site) love engaging with nature by actively tormenting fish, both to release them and to eat them?

Only you can answer that, I can't. I don't believe in heaven or hell, which makes me feel more responsibility to try to do right in this world as best I can (ironically perhaps). 

For me, I try to educate myself about the fisheries I care about and donate time and money to preserve them for future generations. That is the penance I pay for loving fishing. We are all mindful killers it seems. I hope for every fish you catch, you do something positive to preserve the tradition.  Enjoy your time on the water with your friends and family.  

I think if you haven't thought about the crueler aspect of fishing or felt bad when you accidently killed a fish then you haven't been fishing long enough. Bait fishing can be kind of unnecessarily cruel and I would even go out and say that the only time bait fishing is ethical is when you are keeping the fish you are trying to catch. Especially when you cast net 200-500 baits only to chum half of them and throw out another 100 half alive ones at the end of the day only to catch and a bunch of smaller size fish a few of which are bound to be mishandled even by the most experienced fisherman. But then again there is lot of things people do that isn't entirely ethical, and I would be a hypocrite to say that i've never live bait fish intending to release everything I catch.

On 6/29/2020 at 9:32 PM, Good2Go said:

Good topic for discussion. Couple other thoughts here though, to ease your conscience. Who is it that cares enough about the deer, the turkeys, the  stripers, the bluegills, to make sure they continue to be there for the next generation? It’s the sportsmen who enjoy the chase, the hunt, the catch. We put many dollars into the effort for conservation of multiple species, including those we can’t catch, like eagles, ospreys, plovers (sorry guys!). There was a law passed in the 1930s that requires the manufacturers of ammo, rifles, fishing equip, etc to pay a 12% federal excise tax which then goes back to the states where it is used to protect wildlife, buy land (habitat) for conservation, reintroduce species that have been extirpated from the state. Plus, who is most likely to call the wildlife cops when we see some asshat taking shorts, exceeding the limit, catching fish outta season, and so on? It’s the people who love the sport and the wildlife. If we all stopped fishing and hunting because we thought it unethical, who would be left to make sure the environment and fish/animals were not exploited, the environment not polluted, and development not constrained to allow the species to remain? Teddy Roosevelt was perhaps the greatest American outdoor sportsman. He started the National Parks system. Boo yah for Teddy! As others have said, if you question the ethicality of the catch, push down your barbs, or use artificials, if a fish is hooked deep just cut the line. If you hunt, make sure you use the meat, pelt, or whatever you harvest from the animal. If no sportsmen remain, it would not be long before many species are driven into extinction. Because no one else really gives a crap. IMHO. 

I'd agree that even those who don't agree with fishing and hunting should see it as a necessary evil to prevent the destruction of many organisms natural habitat. Fisherman here in florida are usually the people most concerned with improving water quality and improving management of resources.

On 6/30/2020 at 1:00 AM, rbart said:

I didn’t read this thread, but I can relate as every year the same internal conflict grows larger. Fishing has been a huge part of my life, it’s definitely saved it that’s for sure, but there is no worse feeling than having a small fish inhale a plug and die just for you own enjoyment. And that’s not even taking into account other variables the OP mentioned like hooking a fish, making it fight for it’s life and gasp for air... again, for your own enjoyment. 

Each season I get closer to walking away from the sport. It’ll probably happen sooner rather than later. 

But then it all goes out the window when you stick a beautiful, drag-pulling 30# fish on a pikie, standing alone on a rock in the middle of the night, under a star lit sky...

Yeah I relate to your post for sure. I've decided to stay away from bait fishing in the past few years, especially for small fish. The true enjoyment in the sport for me is feeling the thump from a big snook on a jig or catching a nice fish on the fly rod, just feels cleaner and more ethical for me. I definitely think going after a couple big fish allows you to practice better fish handling on those fish than if you are catching a ton smaller fish. 

On 6/28/2020 at 3:32 PM, coastalfreak said:

Hey y’all, hope all of you are well during this pandemic. 

Fishing is something that has been part of my life for a long, long time. I gotta say though, the more I do it, the more I question the ethicality of it. When you get down to it, you are piercing a metal hook through a fishes jaw/lip and then holding them out

of the water where they can’t breathe. I read an article in Field and Stream where the author said to hold your breath when you have a fish outta water. That gives you a good idea of what the fish is feeling. That didn’t make me feel too good.

Today I was out fishing in a creek and I gut hooked a bluegill. Tried to get the hook out but he went belly up on me and few minutes after release. I know, not trying to be a softie but it made me feel bad.

Also, I recently went bass fishing and the bass got hooked right in the corner of the mouth. Great hookset, but the hook was really stuck and I was an idiot and forgot my pliers in the car. Probably spent a minute or two getting that hook out, and the fish seam off but pretty slow.

Needless to say, I’ve been questioning the sport as well as my personal skills with handling fish and such.

Does anybody else ever feel this way? Or am I alone and turning into a PETA person? 

Thanks,

Kevin

I was on a beach at twilight last week in GA, out of bait and a sandflee popped up right under my foot, so I grabbed it, but when I went to put the hook in, I saw she was filled with eggs, so I put her back and went home.

If you believe in the book of Genesis, we are custodians of Gods creations. In that sense, I think we should be concerned how we treat Gods creation. Fishing for food is ok, but I get where you are coming from when we talk about fishing for sport. Every big weekend when the Flatlanders (people from Illinois) come up, our beaches around Lake Geneva will be littered with dead fish, most very tiny. I’m expecting our beach after the 4th to look like a red tide hit. If I was that bad at releasing fish, I would feel guilty enough to quit fishing and take up Golf. 

I think Kevin you will become a better angler for asking the question. 

An understandable dilemma. 

If you are catch and release only, be like a bowhunter and enjoy the thrill of the hunt. It is not all about catching the most or biggest fish.

Fish new spots that you haven't fished before. Fish at spots that require a hike to access. Take up fly fishing? Craft your own flies/plugs. Don't use live bait. Crimp your barbs. Fish when water temperatures are safe for releasing your targeted fish safely. Fish less. Catch one or two and call it a night.

Give the fish every possible advantage while ensuring their proper release when you do catch them. Forget the picture if it could jeopardize the fish. Make being caught a minor inconvenience for them. 

All we need to do is fish for what we are going to eat, or give - sell  to be eaten. And than all makes sense.

Edited by glos

You ever wonder what would happen If we stopped fishing? who would be policing or give a damn about the resource? Between the commercials dictating policy and all the poachers there would nothing left.Its our involvement that keeps it all going.