coastalfreak

Questioning The Ethically of Fishing

Rate this topic

70 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, coastalfreak said:

Hey y’all, hope all of you are well during this pandemic. 

Fishing is something that has been part of my life for a long, long time. I gotta say though, the more I do it, the more I question the ethicality of it. When you get down to it, you are piercing a metal hook through a fishes jaw/lip and then holding them out

of the water where they can’t breathe. I read an article in Field and Stream where the author said to hold your breath when you have a fish outta water. That gives you a good idea of what the fish is feeling. That didn’t make me feel too good.

Today I was out fishing in a creek and I gut hooked a bluegill. Tried to get the hook out but he went belly up on me and few minutes after release. I know, not trying to be a softie but it made me feel bad.

Also, I recently went bass fishing and the bass got hooked right in the corner of the mouth. Great hookset, but the hook was really stuck and I was an idiot and forgot my pliers in the car. Probably spent a minute or two getting that hook out, and the fish seam off but pretty slow.

Needless to say, I’ve been questioning the sport as well as my personal skills with handling fish and such.

Does anybody else ever feel this way? Or am I alone and turning into a PETA person? 

Thanks,

Kevin

Go get a hair cut hippie!

7 hours ago, coastalfreak said:

Thanks all. I’ve decided to keep fishing, as long as I’m not an idiot about it. 

Will definetly get around to using circle hooks and barbless hooks more often. I love this sport, I’m not leaving without a fight. 

You are becoming a little bit of a drama queen here. ^^

12 hours ago, coastalfreak said:

Hey y’all, hope all of you are well during this pandemic. 

Fishing is something that has been part of my life for a long, long time. I gotta say though, the more I do it, the more I question the ethicality of it. When you get down to it, you are piercing a metal hook through a fishes jaw/lip and then holding them out

of the water where they can’t breathe. I read an article in Field and Stream where the author said to hold your breath when you have a fish outta water. That gives you a good idea of what the fish is feeling. That didn’t make me feel too good.

Today I was out fishing in a creek and I gut hooked a bluegill. Tried to get the hook out but he went belly up on me and few minutes after release. I know, not trying to be a softie but it made me feel bad.

Also, I recently went bass fishing and the bass got hooked right in the corner of the mouth. Great hookset, but the hook was really stuck and I was an idiot and forgot my pliers in the car. Probably spent a minute or two getting that hook out, and the fish seam off but pretty slow.

Needless to say, I’ve been questioning the sport as well as my personal skills with handling fish and such.

Does anybody else ever feel this way? Or am I alone and turning into a PETA person? 

Thanks,

Kevin

I have been seeing subtle ideals on this on this site for a few years now.

I did state that fishing will become something that's not accepted.

it is very slight now but,will become taboo after a while,how long?,,who knows.

the only thing I can say is if you feel bad cathing fish you can get into another sport or you could remove your hooks and allow just getting a hit be your fulfillment.

I am not knocking you at all,just making a statement to you so you can still get fulfillment out of this without feeling bad about it.

HH

There have been times when I’ve gut hooked fish where I’ve questioned why I fish. Then I think of a school of Bluefish absolutely terrorizing everything in their path and I realize they kill more fish in minutes then I probably have In the last 5 years of C&R. Fish aren’t like other animals. They are almost all predators and just kill each other all day long lol.

“Fish are always eating other fish. If fish could scream, the ocean would be loud as ****. You would not want to submerge your head, nothing but fish going "Ahhh, ****! I thought I looked like that rock!"”

- comedian Mitch Hedburg RIP

I don’t fish with bait, crush or dremel barbs, use less trebles, carry a small dehooker which I highly recommend, keep fish in water, stopped taking pics. Joining a tagging or research program helps gather data and may make you feel better bout fishing as well.

The last time I met with my Primary Care doctor, she asked what I was doing for exercise. I told her several things and mentioned kayak fishing. She said that she felt sorry for the fish having to get the hook stuck in them. I mentioned that I did not think they felt much pain having a hook in their lips to which she said that they do feel the pain. I moved on to another subject.

Even if you’re chunking, circle hooks and crushed barbs make a huge difference. I’ve only been out  striper fishing 3 times this year. Out of 11 fish, I’ve only had to handle 2 of them. Just pulled them into shallow water and slacked off. 9 out of 11 shook the hook and swam off. Now they have holes in their faces, but so do a lot of my kids friends. The other 2 needed me to reach down and back out the hook. They swam away too. I don’t ever keep fish and don’t need pictures of schoolies. Don’t feel bad for fish, just try to be humane. Remember, they wouldn’t hesitate to eat you if they could.

I've long felt that this question should be dealt with privately between an angler and whomever he chooses to ask about it.  This is like religion, politics, and toilet paper.

Everyone has there own, and it's nobody else' business.

If you want to discuss something like this, and I have no problem with that, it's better done nowadays in private groups. The Crazies in the groups about stuff like this would love to use this as fodder, or worse spam us and the site.