Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
foxfai

Sock waders , what shoes?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I feel stupid asking this, but I never understood the sock wader thing. I have a boot one. 

Is there are specific shoe that fit over the sock waders? What type and kind? Are they even comfortable? Do they degrade after a few outing in the salt water?

Stocking foot waders are way more comfy than boot fit but they have some negatives.

1. way harder to get on and off.

2. generally I buy a boot 2 sizes bigger to fit over the stocking fit thickness. But,boot mfg vary in this.. you need to figure that out.

Stocking foot waders are awesome, I prefer them over the boot foots any day. You would want to look at wading boots, Some recommendations are Orvis, Simms and the most popular, Korkers. I'd say that the stocking foots are way more comfortable than the boot foots but sand and rock sometimes gets lodged inside the boot and makes it uncomfortable if you don't correctly put on the sand/rock guard on the waders. The wading boots are special in the way that it fits comfortable like a regular sock and show and with boots like Korkers, being able to change out the soles to felt, Spikes, Bars and ones to regularly walk on sand. Stocking foots always need to have a boot on them, NEVER walk around bare with stocking foots as it can be damaged by sharp or rough ground material but with a boot will never degrade in the saltwater. Boot foots are easy to manage as it's super easy to take off but are uncomfortable and leak frequently for me and I stopped wearing mine as it started cutting into my leg. I'd prefer the Stocking foots over the boot.

I have both. If I'm fishing a Sandy Beach I would use the bootfoot because sand will get in the wading boots. Most of my wading boots have spikes because I use them with my wetsuit. The boot foot waders are much easier to put on.

I never thought someone was stupid for asking a question that they don't know the answer to.

Stocking foot are far more comfortable in my opinion, though as previously stated, boot foot will be much better with the sand.  In regards to the boots, I would bring your waders to the store and try them with the boots, the only way to tell if they will fit right for you.  Another nice thing with the stocking foot and boots, much more ankle support. 

I am not sure about fishing streams or rivers but for open beach fishing, boot foots by a mile. Biggest advantage is they are easy on and off, the others are a PITA. And stocking foot ones catch rocks and sand, constantly emptying. Boot foots get a bad rep from being heavy and not comfortable, I never had issue with the comfort, heavy on some manufacturers and none make a quality supportive boot. (not sure on Simms or LL Bean)

Most stockingfoot supporters are freshwater bound or they have them and you'll find what folks have they think is always best.

I owned a pair once, also had hip boots, you know what you get wearing hip boots, a wet arse and wet boys, not for me. 

I'll never buy another pair of stocking foots.