MCL169

Akios 650csm

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Putting line on my multiplier to cast lures from the beach. I have 20 lb mono and 15 lb spider wire. Not sure what to go with. It will be on a 5ft one piece. What would you guys go with. A better rod recommendation is also welcomed. Trying to work with lures more. The retrieve is a little slow. Wondering if a faster retrieve like with kastking speed demon 6.2:1 might be better for lure and I'll just use the Akios on a boat poll. 

Edited by MCL169

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speed demon is gutless.  5’ rod huh...  distance is not an issue I guess?  I’m a little confused.  You said multiplier then the speed demon.   Do you want to cast a multiplier or a fixed spool?  What are you fishing for that a 5’ rod is working for you?  Maybe a bit more detail would help an old fart like me understand 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While you can use the 20# mono, you'll only get about 200 yrds on your reel. A better choice would be the Fireline with a mono backing. My concern for you is the 5' rod. That's is too short in my opinion for this thing we do from the beach. Now from a jetty or a dock or pier maybe. :howdy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jimmy z said:

While you can use the 20# mono, you'll only get about 200 yrds on your reel. A better choice would be the Fireline with a mono backing. My concern for you is the 5' rod. That's is too short in my opinion for this thing we do from the beach. Now from a jetty or a dock or pier maybe. :howdy:

Yes I'm looking for a light surf rod for lures. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Birdsnester said:

Speed demon is gutless.  5’ rod huh...  distance is not an issue I guess?  I’m a little confused.  You said multiplier then the speed demon.   Do you want to cast a multiplier or a fixed spool?  What are you fishing for that a 5’ rod is working for you?  Maybe a bit more detail would help an old fart like me understand 

I'm shopping for a better rod. All I have is heavy action surf rods. I was thinking the multiier retrieves too slow for lures and figured I would use that as a boat combo and get a faster retrieving surf reel. I surf fish for Porgy blues and Stripes. I'm waiting on a kayak that I ordered to take my fishing to the next level. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MCL169 said:

I'm shopping for a better rod. All I have is heavy action surf rods. I was thinking the multiier retrieves too slow for lures and figured I would use that as a boat combo and get a faster retrieving surf reel. I surf fish for Porgy blues and Stripes. I'm waiting on a kayak that I ordered to take my fishing to the next level. 

I owned a speed demon and returned it.  It struggled mightily reeling in a small bluefish.  If you are budget minded Tsunami makes a whole line of affordable surf rods.  If you can spend a little more Black Hole makes some nice stuff.  It’s just picked up a Black Hole Suzuki Special 10’. 1/2 to 2 oz.  very nice rod for throwing the smaller stuff.  214 dollars.  I agree that most multiplier reels are slow.  I guess it depends on what you are targeting.  If you want a nice reel for cheap money take a look at Tronixpro Envoy.  It’s a reel built in the UK and it’s cheap.  I bought mine new for about 59 dollars.  It has magnetic and centrifugal brakes.  It’s about a 6000 size maybe just a hair under a 6500 size.  Super smooth and a great value.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.