RKG1

Best way to attach equipment mounts?

5 posts in this topic

I need to attach a mount for my flag/light pole on my kayak.  It came with nuts and bolts, but I do not have access to the underside of the kayak deck so nuts/bolts not an option.  Whats the best alternative - self tapping screws?  some type of toggle bolt? something else?

Ok, I see well nuts are an option also.  These create a water seal as part of the connection.  Rivets also are an option but will require some type of added water seal?  Are these options jusy a matter of personal preference, or do they have separate uses?

I have taken SS wood screws and used the 1/4" impact gun and fastened camera mounts pad eyes and other light duty stuff.  You so not need to get on the underside. 

Its mostly personal preference. The rivets come with a rubber seal. They are quicker and cheaper to install but I have had a few that didnt compress that well so I had to redo them. The rivets also have a lower profile which can be useful in some installations. I personally prefer well nuts because they give me more control over the fit on the install. SS wood screws are also a good option but you might need to add a bit of sealant. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

There are lots of options out there you just have to look on the major kayak stores for what you need.

I choose to insert my flag in a rod holder which is attached to my crate.

PS the higher that flag fly’s the more visible you are.

Edited by Racerx919