tuntini31

Price on a 2014 outback

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi all,

I’ve been a longtime user (not ina. Few years) and can’t seem to figure out my log in credentials...so new account it is. In any case, I’m getting back into kayak fishing after selling my WS tarpon 140 about 5-6 years ago. I’ve stumbled upon a 2014 hobie Outback that’s I’m considering and I’m wondering what a good price for this year would be. It doesn’t appear to come with any extras besides the paddle, seat, and anchor line. I don’t think it has the turbo fins but comes with mirage. I’ve never had a peddle kayak or a hobie kayak at all so I don’t know too much. They don’t appear to have many features like Tracks or anything stock. I’ve always wanted one though. 

PicL *

If I could get this for $1000, would that be a great price?  I pushed a bit and it turns out that he did repair 2 spots. Claims he bought it like this and redid the previous owners repair. Doesn’t look great. What would this do to the price? Pics of repair:*

For reference, my alternative is that I really want a vibe sea ghost 110. Can’t find them anywhere though.

Edited by TimS
You can upload pictures here, but please don't post links to pictures - thanks.

7 hours ago, CaptainGeech said:

I’ve been a longtime user (not ina. Few years) and can’t seem to figure out my log in credentials.

Shoot me an email tims@stripersonline.com and let me know what your old username or old email were and I'll get you straightened out :)

TimS

56 mins ago, Jeffz1 said:

What kind of repairs were done?

My picture links were removed from original post. My bad Tim! 

please see attached pics. Looks like the typical mirage port crack. Forward of that, most likely a puncture of some sort. If it where me I would I’ve done a typical plastic weld repair, but this looks quite messy.  I pushed for some more details he he basically blocked me and deleted everything. Would still

be beneficial for what you guys think this would be priced at for future use. I appreciate it! Great forum. 

5DC45EA5-45F0-43CD-BC01-6AFF97AAA4C0.png

1B72C534-6400-45E9-9140-8D47E5DA6922.jpeg

BB64616D-67D7-4E45-A2A3-41D8DE4E52AE.jpeg

950FFF83-BD67-4147-86D3-D7DD61F1B87E.jpeg

Well it ain't pretty as they say! Not a very professional job at at that. Will that weld hold (if it's a weld). I'd worry every minute that I'm out there if the boat were taking on water or not. Would you trust your kid in a boat like that? Obviously, the answer is no, I'd pass on something like this for a grand no less. Free is another story then perhaps you can get it done professionally and trust in the repair. I'd pass, there are many other opportunities out there. PS, that out seat style isn't worth a grand in my opinion. 

Edited by Racerx919

I thought the same, and when I told him $1000 was too much of a risk etc he went and blocked me. I would say I probably dodged a bullet. I don’t think it was a weld at all...he just said “marine adhesive”. I assume he just spackled it on and called it a day. Im glad that you guys agree as I was starting to overthink it a bit. 

Looking into buying a new vibe shearwater 125 instead.

Edited by tuntini31

You have me cracking up at the "he just spackled it" remark!

I just looked around and saw a few Hobies with that same seat configuration for around $1500-. Now thats asking price of course. So for another $200- you could get a solid boat.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.