Rigging a Mack for Slow trolling?

Rate this topic

planter

Does anyone have a technique for trolling mackerel WITHOUT needing a backbone remover, rigging needle and floss? I have tried breaking the Mack's back in a few places so it's more flexible and i have tried putting a small weight in the gullet of my bait and wrapping it in Magic or Whisper thread. No matter what i try the Mack just does not run true. They seem to do a slow twist while being dragged thru the water. I have used Macks rigged by others to catch a couple of small Marlin and big Spanish but the crew gutted and brined the bait prior to getting on the boat and had a cooler of rigs set up and ready to go. I did try 

Anybody have any non-proprietary hints they can share. I tried to pick up a backbone remover, rigging needle, and fishing floss but I'm ready to go on-line and buy them but rigging still seems like it would take longer than I'm willing to spend doing it. I will gut a few and snip the Bbone in a few places put in a gremlin rubber cored and tie it up. 

I'm also finding brined Macks are not as firm as i had expected. I've actually got a dozen Macks stewing in a really strong brine of rock salt and baking soda which keeps the baits color intact but we will see how that works.

Anybody?? Any suggestions?

4 hours ago, planter said:

Does anyone have a technique for trolling mackerel WITHOUT needing a backbone remover, rigging needle and floss? I have tried breaking the Mack's back in a few places so it's more flexible and i have tried putting a small weight in the gullet of my bait and wrapping it in Magic or Whisper thread. No matter what i try the Mack just does not run true. They seem to do a slow twist while being dragged thru the water. I have used Macks rigged by others to catch a couple of small Marlin and big Spanish but the crew gutted and brined the bait prior to getting on the boat and had a cooler of rigs set up and ready to go. I did try 

Anybody have any non-proprietary hints they can share. I tried to pick up a backbone remover, rigging needle, and fishing floss but I'm ready to go on-line and buy them but rigging still seems like it would take longer than I'm willing to spend doing it. I will gut a few and snip the Bbone in a few places put in a gremlin rubber cored and tie it up. 

I'm also finding brined Macks are not as firm as i had expected. I've actually got a dozen Macks stewing in a really strong brine of rock salt and baking soda which keeps the baits color intact but we will see how that works.

Anybody?? Any suggestions?

Look on you tube for videos of rigging a split tail Mack.

====Mako Mike====
Makomania Sportfishing
Pt. Judith, RI

We use frozen mackerel attached from the bottom of the jaw to the top and troll 3 plus knots with no twist. If they are alive we put a hook through the jaw and a stinger with a small 3 way hook above the vent. We have trolled them with lead and wire when we want to get down near the bottom and a flat line when we want to keep them up. WE have been able to keep them alive for several hours with good results when the fish are working. At times we often would place a single 8/0 or 9/0 hook and drag them backwards with good results as well

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal