ermghoti

FG Knot with No Tension

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Anybody try this? I've been forming a loop with the braid, keeping it taut with my fingers, and then stepping on the mono/flouro spool. but I can't do that on the bank or boat. This seems doable.

I haven't, getting sick of holding the weight of the rod with my teeth while the waves try to push me off my spot.

Also curious what other ways guys are finishing the hitches with. Aka the knot 

22 mins ago, Dustyn said:

Also curious what other ways guys are finishing the hitches with. Aka the knot 

One half hitch to secure the initial weave, tension mainline to leader, rizzuto finish the tag end, tension braid tag to leader tag, tension braid tag to mainline, clip tag ends (leaving 1/4" on braid tag), done. 

58 mins ago, buddha162 said:

One half hitch to secure the initial weave, tension mainline to leader, rizzuto finish the tag end, tension braid tag to leader tag, tension braid tag to mainline, clip tag ends (leaving 1/4" on braid tag), done. 

Same here. 1 or 2 half hitches, c then rizzuto

Great video, I’m not sure how my friend does it, I’d assume The same way. I’ve watch him countless times over the years tie up walking down the beach without a light , probably not even thinking about it. Never seen it fail either. 

1 hour ago, ReelSharp said:

Great video, I’m not sure how my friend does it, I’d assume The same way. I’ve watch him countless times over the years tie up walking down the beach without a light , probably not even thinking about it. Never seen it fail either. 

I can’t do that lol, that’s for sure

I put out a series of 3 vids tying an fg knot with no tension... A word of caution though... With hard heavy fluro.... If you don't have gloves to tension don't bother. 

Sort of why I've abandoned the fg in favor of a pr knot with a pr finish (total of 5 half hitches) 

Nothing worse than watching your payload sail with a 6' fluro trailer leaving a caterpillar at the rod tip. 

The harder the leader material the harder you have to pull.. And if it's not turning almost translucent its not cinched tight enough.. 

Also with lighter leaders I don't think a no tension fg is possible (about 20lb leader and under) 

PR knot is super easy... 

Load bobbin

Spin about an inch  to 2 inches of wraps... (depends on lb test...) towards the terminal end /away from the reel

Stop

Spread about half the wraps towards the tag end / towards the rod tip (for 50ish lb braid and 80lb leader my completed knot is about 4 inches long make sure you spread out the wraps accordingly) 

Spin back up the leader to the desired length 

Stop

Without pulling off the bobbin.. Pull enough line off bobbin to tied a half hitch.. Tie it in the direction you're spinning the bobbin 

Rewind the line back onto the bobbin 

Wrap back down the knot about a quarter inch...

(this will tighten that half hitch which locks the knot.. And will prevent the wraps from Fallin off the leader tag when trimmed m) 

Finish the knot with 4 or so alternating half hitches... 

Trim 

4mins on a rocking boat tops 

Perfect example of how strong it is 

50lb j braid to 80lb suffix to a 5 turn uni... 

I felt like I was gonna break a tranx 500 when wrecked last week on a straight vertical yank... But the uni slipped... 

PR bobbins with adjustable tension are cheap now. 

For light lines under 20lb to 20lb use a fly tying bobbin and spool of thread wrapped with electrical tape... Too much resistance will damage the lighter leader 

Edited by scoobydoo

4 hours ago, Oldroe said:

I've been experimenting with tension free FG knot and using the Seth Fider finish so far works great.

What or who is a Seth Fider? 

10 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

What or who is a Seth Fider? 

I found this. I don’t like it. Putting the overhand in the leader ruins the whole point of the FG.